The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scale and Lightsaber Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Scale and Lightsaber Combat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Scale and Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

So, let's say Amy the Jedi has Lightsaber 6D, Control 6D, and Sense 6D, along with Lightsaber Combat that is "up".

Bob the TIE Pilot is shooting at Amy. He has Starship Gunnery at 6D and 2D of Fire Control dice.

Can she deflect the Starfighter scale bolts with her lightsaber? What does Amy roll to deflect the blaster bolts? How does Scale get involved?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radius of a starfighter blaster bolt is going to be about the size of her chest. How is a lightsaber supposed to block that?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add the Scale modifier to the Difficult to Parry.

Of course, Bob actually has to shoot well enough to hit her for it to even be an issue.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, his 8d drops to just 2d after scaling differences..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Well, 4D, once you add in the 2D Fire Control.

And in any realistic system, there would be rules for shrapnel effects for near misses hitting the ground around Amy. The TIE's laser cannon hit for about 11D Character-Scale damage: more than a Thermal Detonator. In such a case, she'd be better off parrying even the bolts that just came close.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Well, 4D, once you add in the 2D Fire Control.

And in any realistic system, there would be rules for shrapnel effects for near misses hitting the ground around Amy. The TIE's laser cannon hit for about 11D Character-Scale damage: more than a Thermal Detonator. In such a case, she'd be better off parrying even the bolts that just came close.

Actually with 6d gunnery+2d fire control that gives him only 2d left after removing the 6d scale difference.. Not 4.

And that whole blast radius issue is something i have brought up often..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Actually with 6d gunnery+2d fire control that gives him only 2d left after removing the 6d scale difference.. Not 4.

DOH! That's what I get for posting while exhausted...

Quote:
And that whole blast radius issue is something i have brought up often..

Indeed. I'm still chewing on that, too...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, stop chewing.. Slow roast it next time, so its easier to digest Laughing Laughing
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this is only for reference purposes, but if we consider that Star Wars is Disney now, it may count for something.

In Star Tours at Disneyland, Darth Vader deflects the blasts from a space transport just as if they were blaster pistols.

There is also the scene in RotJ where Luke deflects a (presumably) speeder scale shot, for whatever that is worth to this discussion.

In my opinion (for whatever THAT is worth to the discussion), a starfighter shooting at a character (unless it has anti-personnel weaponry) is really a bizzare scenario. As the GM, I'd be inclined to do the following:

1) Fire control is lost: its designed to target objects with a much larger signature.

2) Scale modifier apllies to dodge ONLY. If Amy stands still to deflect her maneuverability advantage is forfeit. HOWEVER, Bob would also have to be physically close enough to see Amy with his naked eye, whixh means she would see him long, long, long before he ever saw her.

3) Is the TIE moving? Speed penalty.

4) If Amy successfully parrysthen she may aim the blast back at Bob. She gets the scale bonus to hit BECAUSE Bob is engaging her at "character scale range" where his maneuverability counts for nothing. That is, in starfighter scale terms the two combatants might as well be "graplling."
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of losing Fire Control, I kind of thought Fire Control was partially to offset scale penalties... So capital scale turbolasers could pose a threat to starfighter scale snub fighters.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laser on the speeder bike on Endor does 5D character scale damage. It's no bigger than a stormtrooper blaster rifle. It's blaster bolt would be no bigger than a blaster bolt.

The laser cannon on a TIE fighter does 11D character scale damage. The cannon is approximately six feet long and a foot and a half in diameter.

I wouldn't allow it in my games.

BUT

I would have the player add his control to their strength roll. 5D control from MAPs. They would roll that against the blaster bolt damage to resist damage. Any damage greater than the resist roll they would take, but they'd reflect the rest back at the TIE, or wherever they wanted to direct it to. Their lightsaber skill + 5D sense would allow them to parry a 2D Starfighter shot wherever they wanted it to go.

What do you guys think?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am agreeing with Naaman, in that if they are not moving, just standing there trying to block it, then the scale diff should drop...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am agreeing with Naaman, in that if they are not moving, just standing there trying to block it, then the scale diff should drop...

I think you're both making it overly complicated. Naaman is talking about not allowing FC at all, but also taking away the scale bonus if Amy isn't dodging. As I said in another topic, a -6D penalty applied to 2D Fire Control results in a Fire Control of -4D, which is a good representation of trying to hit something too small for your targeting system to detect (-4D is the same penalty applied when trying to see something in complete darkness).

No need to invent a special rule when the existing rule works just fine; if she isn't going to Dodge, just apply the penalty to the only dice roll left: Bob's Starship Gunnery.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, it is better to apply scale modifiers negatively, as a penalty, to help minimize the "bucket o' dice" effect. Assume Bob is in his TIE Fighter and trying to shoot at Andy, the Bounty Hunter, who has a Dodge of 6D. So, with a 6D Scale modifier, you can either add it to Andy's Dodge (and roll 12D vs. 8D) or subtract it from Bob's combined Starship Gunnery & FC (and roll 6D vs. 2D).

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue I have is that I find it rediculous that a TIE fighter should even consider shooting at a lone person. Short of making it outright impossible (which I'm against), its not something I would want to see happening in my games, so I would want it to be difficult enough that people aren't generally willing to bother.

I suppose it comees down to GM interpretation. A fire control syster has mechanical and/or electronic components. Those components do various things depending on the intended use of the weapon. A starfighter scale weapon is designed to track targets thousands of times more massive than a person that move at tremendous speeds. 2 meters, after all, is "impossible; even for a computer." It takes spending a Force point AND using the concentration power AND having whatever Luke's skill in gunnery was to hit a 2m target with a starfighter scale weapon (look up the concentration Force power to understand the intent of the RAW on this).

So as far as over complicating it, maybe I am. But if Amy dodged, not only would I have taken away Bob's fire control, but she would also have gotten the scale bonus. It was specifically the fact that she wanted to deflect it that caused me to remove her scale bonus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: