The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reduce injury force power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Reduce injury force power Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all2ezy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reduce injury force power Reply with quote

Hi all
Can you please give me your thoughts on the reduce injury force power, how do you determine what type of injury is suffered when the power is used to prevent character death? I know a force point is lost but how severe should the injury be? Should it prevent him from being able to continue fighting etc?
My take on it is the character avoids death, however is so badly wounded that he cannot continue a battle and if conscious must retreat ASAP
Aka Luke Skywalker in Bespin.

Please let me know how you all handle it in your games.

Many Thanks. All2ezy
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often attribute the Jedi's ability to fall 100+ feet and live (and continue the fight or not) to powers like reduce injury.

I think player and GM should work together to determine the type of injury. There is nothing worse than playing a character whose concept has just gone outside the scope of what the player enjoys.

In all honesty, I think that this is a very "role" playing type of power and a permanent injury should only be resorted to for dramatic value. If the character is "killed" by a mook, as a GM, unless the player was just being ridiculous, I'd fudge the roll and let the character live. In my SWU, only major villains have the "ability" to out right kill a PC. Otherwise, it's a major, fight-ending injury and the PC lives, but has do deal with escaping capture or whatever.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what the wound level they were taken to, and what caused the wound..
As the power describes, it lessens an incap, mortal or dead result to just a wound, and gives a perma scar.. So lets say a gammorean wielding their traditional vibro axe thwacked the pc and knocked him down to MW, but he pops remain conscious up, then reduce injury to going down.. I could easly see him losing the arm or even having some permanent shoulder damage (say -2d to actions with that arm), till healed VIA BACTA dunking..

Or say the jedi got shot in the gut by a light repeater (man his LS combat roll musta sucked! Laughing Laughing ), i could see him having endurance issues (-2d to stamina checks) and some issues keeping food down...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, I've considered doing away with this power entirely and making it a general rule that any character can spend a FP and survive a Killed result with some form of permanent injury or disfigurement. If nothing else, it makes for a great explanation as to how a recurring villain can pop up again after the PCs were sure they killed him off last time.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In the past, I've considered doing away with this power entirely and making it a general rule that any character can spend a FP and survive a Killed result with some form of permanent injury or disfigurement. If nothing else, it makes for a great explanation as to how a recurring villain can pop up again after the PCs were sure they killed him off last time.

I support this.

Burn enough Force Points from death injuries and you end up:

Or...

[EDIT: I replaced Gimpy Vader picture with more appropriately epic one, of a smaller picture variety.]

Last edited by Raven Redstar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

DO any of those permanent injuries give in game penalties (like say 'punctured lung. -2d to stamina checks)??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Do any of those permanent injuries give in game penalties (like say 'punctured lung. -2d to stamina checks)??

Absolutely. In fact, I'm thinking a punctured lung isn't permanent enough. Severed limbs, internal damage too severe for bacta to fully heal, hideous scars that affect interaction skills, and so on and so forth.

Basically, this would allow a character with FPs to survive otherwise lethal damage, but at the cost of either life-long debilitating injuries, or cybernetic implants to offset the injuries, or some combination of both.

Instead of punctured lungs, I'd go with something more extreme, like chemical burns to the lungs' alveoli, or permanent scaring from vacuum exposure.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Is this the absolute smallest Vader picture you could find? Laughing

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like CRM's idea for allowing any character to survive by losing a FP, however, as a player there are some cases where I'd rather just roll up a new charracter than deal with a permanent in game effect that puts me behind the rest of the party.

Also, in some cases, Id rather just let the character die because I don't like the idea of the character being a gimp or or horribly disfigured, etc.

If you have to lose a force point, then let that be the "cost" of surviving. Heck, Id rather give up all force points and character points than take a prostetic limb or cybernetic body in some cases.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to note that the Force Power this rule is derived from specifies that, if it is used to avert a Killed result, the character must also accept some form of permanent disability or disfigurement. I just ported the idea over to general usage.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Yeah I really can't stand large images that widen the page so much you have to scroll right and left to read posts, so I edited it to have a different image of Vader (of him surviving what should have killed him and becoming a half-dead cyborg). Raven, I hope you feel that still makes your point.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's important to note that the Force Power this rule is derived from specifies that, if it is used to avert a Killed result, the character must also accept some form of permanent disability or disfigurement. I just ported the idea over to general usage.

IF I was to go that route, those with the force would just do the 1 FP to reduce a kill to a mortal wound with maim. Those without the force, it would cost more.. like 2fp.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Yeah I really can't stand large images that widen the page so much you have to scroll right and left to read posts, so I edited it to have a different image of Vader (of him surviving what should have killed him and becoming a half-dead cyborg). Raven, I hope you feel that still makes your point.

I'm highly offended. Vader should have a giant picture! (I'm only kidding).

I picked one of the first pictures on a google images search, because my wife was waiting on me to post, rather impatiently, I might add.

Although, Vader lying on a bed all charred and mangled is more of the lame before and not the awesome after... but, I digress.

All I was trying to get at is we have examples of both Force Sensitive and non-Force sensitive characters surviving multiple fatal injuries that force them to eventually get full cybernetic replacements in order to function, and continue to dominate their opponents.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IF I was to go that route, those with the force would just do the 1 FP to reduce a kill to a mortal wound with maim. Those without the force, it would cost more.. like 2fp.

Honestly, I'm surprised you are willing to have a double standard for Jedi characters. If anything, I'd be more inclined to go with 2 FP across the board, with the Jedi's advantage being that they started with 2 FP instead of 1 in the first place.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Honestly, I'm surprised you are willing to have a double standard for Jedi characters. If anything, I'd be more inclined to go with 2 FP across the board, with the Jedi's advantage being that they started with 2 FP instead of 1 in the first place.

Well, since you seem to be the one normally advocating 'use force power without needing the power'.. i figured you would like that suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: