The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Fluency Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Fluency Rule Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: The Fluency Rule Reply with quote

For the Language skill, the Fluency rule allows characters who beat 10 Difficult rolls for a specific language to forego future skill rolls for that same language, as they are considered fluent in that language.

I recently proposed using the same rule for Wookiees to reload a pump or lever action bowcaster, and I could see it as a solution to at least one other weapon I'm working on.

I'd like to hear your opinions as to other skills where this would be appropriate. Obviously, there have to be limits, or else characters will become fluent in Blaster and never have to roll to hit again, but I could easily see this rule supplementing mundane rolls, such as reloading weapons and such.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a house rule that common skill checks are just a wild die roll. If you don't botch then you're fine. Flying a speeder out of combat, cleaning a weapon, using a comlink, etc. Generally these skills checks are out of combat.

Someone with a 4D skill has a minimum roll of 4. A very easy task is 1-5. Most very easy tasks are a guaranteed success for a person of 4D skill, unless they botch.

The thing to remember is that the less rolls you take, the faster the game goes, generally. I try to strike a balance between bogging the game down with rolls and letting the players succeed or fail on the fall of the dice.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, i don't really see that many other skills that the 'fluency; like rule would be appropriate for..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me, i don't really see that many other skills that the 'fluency; like rule would be appropriate for..

Mostly I'm picturing limiting it to simple, repetitive actions that a character can memorize through enough repetition that it becomes something a character can do without thinking: a product of muscle-memory, as Naaman called it in the Bowcaster topic. I'm looking for other examples of similar actions.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Astrogation along a set course would be pretty common... if you're frequently making a run between Coruscant and Corellia, for example, you might have the coordinates more or less memorized.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Mostly I'm picturing limiting it to simple, repetitive actions that a character can memorize through enough repetition that it becomes something a character can do without thinking: a product of muscle-memory, as Naaman called it in the Bowcaster topic. I'm looking for other examples of similar actions.

Well nothing combat related would count.
I could see (as Mr Nexx suggests) it applying to astrogating common routes.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combat related would mostly be out, though there's already examples of things you might make a tyro make a skill check for that are already automatic (for example, reloading a blaster... I can see making an Ewok character roll to reload a blaster, even if you'd never think of it for the farmboy who used to shoot womprats). Reloading a bowcaster would fall into the same category... something you've done so often you need a really good reason to make it something that can be failed.

Other skills you might apply it to:
Alien Species (on a per-species basis)
Bureaucracy (for specific forms... Han Solo can probably fill out a customs form in his sleep)
Cultures (most people probably have a degree of this already... Luke doesn't need to roll to know about Tattooine Moisture Farmers, and probably has a lot of assumable knowledge about Jawas).
Planetary Systems (per planet)

I don't feel like going through all of them... but a lot of different skills where displaying a certain level of expertise means you can do things automatically without needing a roll every time. Languages represents this through two separate mechanics, resulting in "Fluency"... one is "10 difficult checks), the other is "5D or more in the specialization". Both represent not needing to roll if circumstances aren't terribly opposed or obscure... someone fluent in Wookie still has to roll when facing a dialect or purposefully obscured language, but not when chatting with Chewie, or even understanding Chewie while under fire.
CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could work well for Piloting skills to represent familiarity with a craft.

If you have never flown a ship of that type before, a 1 on the Wild Die indicates that your inexperience has gotten you into trouble. Roll your base Piloting skill against a difficulty of Easy + the Maneuverability of the ship. Treat a failure the same way as failing a movement check.

Once you have succeeded in 10 such checks you are considered "fluent" (maybe "familiar" works better) with the ship.

If you take a speciality for that ship type you are automatically considered "fluent".
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it working for Lightsabers; make ten consecutive Difficult Lightsaber skill rolls and you are exempt from hitting yourself for damage on a failure by more than 10 points.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I see it working for Lightsabers; make ten consecutive Difficult Lightsaber skill rolls and you are exempt from hitting yourself for damage on a failure by more than 10 points.

Hell no.. LS's are supposed to be dangerous even in the trained hands of a jedi.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Hell no.. LS's are supposed to be dangerous even in the trained hands of a jedi.

Yet we never once see this rule come into play in the films or the TV shows. I think it's a fine rule for the untrained, but the idea is to represent the sort of familiarity with a weapon that only comes from extensive use. Considering a character would have to devote the same amount of time to familiarizing himself with a lightsaber as he would to learn and become fluent in a foreign language, I think the bar is set high enough.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that apply to just the LS, or all melee weapons of high diff, such as the Jengarddin double edge vibro blade..?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Would that apply to just the LS, or all melee weapons of high diff, such as the Jengarddin double edge vibro blade..?

If that weapon has a rule where you can cut yourself with it if you roll too low, then yes.

Alternately, this rule could be folded in with Bren's proposed lightsaber rule from a while back. Rather than no longer having to worry about cutting themselves, a character who makes ten consecutive Difficult Lightsaber rolls (or whatever) is familiar enough with the weapon to realize they are about to cut themselves and has the option of dropping the weapon for no damage. The weapon lands 1D meters away in a random direction (determined by the grenade scatter diagram).

At this point, I'm mostly considering applying this rule only to stats that have special additional rules, like the Bowcaster requiring a Strength roll to re-load. Giving people a pass on having to roll skills entirely is taking it too far, IMO.

Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I don't know about 10 rolls, that seems excessive but yes I can see it for.lightsaber.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I don't know about 10 rolls, that seems excessive but yes I can see it for.lightsaber.

10 rolls is the benchmark established by the RAW to demonstrate fluency in a language. Since characters are already having to make Difficult rolls just to use a lightsaber, I don't see it being unfair to require them to make ten straight successful rolls as a demonstration of proficiency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: