The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Is there interest in a new pbp game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview -> Is there interest in a new pbp game? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Is there interest in a new pbp game? Reply with quote

Is anyone interested in playing in a pbp game?

I am considering running one, if there's interest. It would be Rebellion era, with no one starting as a Jedi. Beyond that, I'm pretty flexible. Tell me what you'd be interested in playing.

Some game ideas:

- Rebellion Starfighter campaign

- Smuggler campaign

- Pirate campaign

- Imperial Starfighter campaign

- Rebellion special forces

- Rebellion espionage resistance cell

Thanks in advance.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer to run a pbp game is still good if you are interested.
Rogue Leader
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in if you're willing to run something. My preference would be something during or after the original trilogy (eps 4-6), and includes an occasional guest appearance by a canon character for flavor. Movie era allows for a lot of great side-story action. 16 years or so after would allow for low-level Jedi PCs, since Luke would have established the new academy, and of course the Yuuzhan Vong War is rife with possibilities. I'd be happy with pirates, smugglers, or an X-Wing squadron, depending on what you have in mind, but willing to discuss anything!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely interested in a game.

I have to admit, I've grown kinda jaded because these games tend to start out kinda strong, and only a select few seem to go any kind of distance.

That being said, I've really missed gaming; I'm in a SWD6 game on another board, and the posting rate isn't that great. So, if you're gonna run a game, I'd like to know how you see slicers working in it. I've played a number of them, and there is a whole plethora of things they can do that, in the movies, you usually just see one of the main characters do. In game terms, however, ESPECIALLY at the beginning of a new campaign, with new characters, there is NO way a non-slicer is gonna be able to bypass security on a blast door, unless for some reason the player decided to sink dice into those related skills.

Are you looking to have a strictly new-character startup (18 Attribute dice and 7 Skill dice)? Will you be having a bunch of house rules? I tried joining a game on another board where the GM had a whole SLEW of house rules, including how to create your character; it used a pool of points that served to build attributes AND skills, and quite frankly, was a bit confusing...especially since the end result (minus the exception of Advantages and Disadvantages that were added in) basically equaled the usual 18 and 7 startup rule. I'm hoping this will be a bit more along WEG lines...
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue Leader - By Rebellion Era I meant from after Episode 3 and before Episode 6. So a similar time period that you're thinking of. And I like the occasional cameo.

Skyler - 4D is professional level for all skills. If you're at 4D in comp program/repair you're going to be able to attempt quite a bit. I follow the skill chart pretty closely, so if you build a Sluissi with 9D comp pro, you're going to be one of the best on several planets.

I treat slicing as a specialization, specifically it is a focus on computer security, both breaking in and securing programs. So if you want to write a program, or edit a program, you can't use a slicing roll, instead you would use the main comp pro/rep. Physical security, including electronic locks, are under the Security skill.

Opening a blast door by rewiring it would be a Security roll. Opening a blast door from a computer terminal would be a Comp pro/rep roll.

I tend to run low CP games. Expect five cps per session. If you do a great job, 8. In my games Stormtroopers are a serious threat for a very long time.

I encourage min/maxing. If you want to make a Farghul with 5D Dex, 7D Blaster, 9D Blaster: Heavy Blaster pistol, I'm cool with that. However, if you do this know that I run games that have skill checks in every attribute. If you're going to be the fighter or the tech guy, or the gambler/con artist then know that there are going to be times in the game where you are dead weight. I also try and give everyone a chance to shine in each adventure. If your idea of fun is mowing down troops with your blaster, I'll work that into the session. If your idea of fun is slicing through computer files, I'll work that into the session.

The key to making this work is to pick a scenario before we do character creation. That way people will make characters appropriate to the scenario.

Everyone starts with 18 attribute dice and 7 Skill dice. If your species gives you more so be it.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House Rules

1) Melee combat and Melee Parry are one skill. I run low CP games, I don't want you bogged down here.

2) By the same token, Brawling and Brawling Parry are the same skill.

3) No Verpines. That +2D Tech bonus is ridiculous. Just play a Tinnell.

4) Sluissi are cool. Since you are always taking double time you get the +1D bonus, just like any other species who takes double time. Seriously though, just play a Tinnell.

5) No Skipray Blast boats, they are unbalanced. Nebulin-B's are also unbalanced but if we come across those I can fix them.

6) Ion cannons have less range than lasers. Specifically most Starfighter class ion cannons would read 1-3/7/16.

7) No species with more than 13D starting attribute dice.

8) No shapeshifters

9) I've yet to find a martial arts system I thought was balanced, so no martial arts. Specializations under Brawling are encouraged.

10) You get 10D in equipment. For example, a 4D blaster pistol, a +1D vibroknife, +1D suit of armor and a +1D starship repair toolkit totals to 7D. You have 3D left to play with. Maybe you'd like a nice 3D holdout blaster? Or you can take it in credits, 1D = 1000credits

10a) If you forgo all your equipment dice you can have a stock YT-1300 or the Ghtrok freighter free and clear. Of course, you'll have no credits or equipment.

11) You can play a heuristic droid character with the exact same starting stats as a human. However, these heuristic droids cannot upgrade skills with programming, they have to learn skills, like a human.

Basically, I'm trying to keep the game balanced.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as scenarios go, I'm good with pirates, smugglers or fighter pilots.

If we do pirates I want a pirate captain who has read pirates and privateers and knows what he's doing. You should know what lurking the zone is, for instance. A pirate campaign would be more sandbox, less rails. You guys would be choosing your 'missions' so I want players who know the world.

Smugglers would be a mix of sandbox and rails. You'd be doing your own thing but your 'missions' come from your contacts. People are paying you to do jobs.

Fighter pilots would be more rails than sandbox. You are in the military. You will be assigned missions by superior officers.

What do you guys think?
Rogue Leader
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jedi Skyler's thinking Slicer, then I'm fine playing a smuggler or pirate who gets pulled into the Rebellion with the promise of some sweet loot. I've got Pirates & Privateers and know how to use it.

Skyler, what do you think?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in any Rise of the Empire-era PbP. Of course this will be my first time.

I am most interested in "Imperial Starfighter campaign," particularly if you let me fly a TIE Defender...
yomama360
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested. How frequently would we be required to post?

I played one pathfinder PbF before. Otherwise I am new
Bradwardine
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler took the words right out of my mouth. I certainly want to participate.
"Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13b)
"God . . . now commandeth all men everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30b)
Bradwardine
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I read correctly, you have trimmed the scenario list to three choices. If that is so, I lean toward the smuggler option. (I believe that I could do either of the others, but I have less confidence in myself for doing them.)
"Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13b)
"God . . . now commandeth all men everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30b)
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yomama360: Once a week minimum. Something like Post by Sunday. I write replies on Monday. If you guys all post before Sunday I'll get a post up earlier with your rolls and the NPC actions.

Bradwardine: Copy Smuggler.

Error: The TIE Defender is ridiculously broken. There is no ship I can send against it that could give you guys a fair challenge.

Rogue Leader: You're good with Smuggler or Pirate

So that's two votes for smuggler, 1 for pirate, 1 for Imp pilots.

Ok boys and girls, get your votes in, and we'll pick a scenario and get started.
Rogue Leader
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those, here are my votes in order:

1. Pirate
2. Smuggler
3. Imp Pilots

And willing to play whatever wins. Smile
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to be the pirate captain Rogue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: