The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combining Sensors and Communications Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combining Sensors and Communications Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jollyone
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so let us say the Longprobe and patrol craft are out of sensor range. They continue to get closer. When is the gig up for both? Thought this would be nice to see capital vs starfighter and with two types you would expect to find.

The X wing and CorCorvette, say a 90 type, less than 75 units away? Again for both.

The TIE/rc type and say some Z-95's? and a cap scale bulk freighter with some type of interference/cloud/rocks.

TIE/fc is close to a GR-75 and is transmitting data to an IMP capitol ship, now add a X wing to mix, does it change?

A Neb-B uses it superior sensors to find and ID some IMP ships, can they get info as what they see, and where they are at to a squadron of Y wings ready to jump in? Will they have accurate information? if so can they get some sort of surprise? in rear arc? a tactic roll?<- dont know how RAW works on that as well. Does this transmission give them away another use of roll? some nice chance for GM words like you send a short burst closed beam transmission and you think the imps are none the wiser? Would the imps have no shields up maybe if good astro roll and maybe others drop the Y wings in missile range of imps?

Sorry for so many questions. But in my non-jedi mind I can see this all coming up and none seem out of the ordinary.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a realistic Sensor rule wouldn't have a set range at which a ship suddenly appears, but rather, the signal would slowly gain in strength as it got closer. First off, I would consider it appropriate for ships' sensors to function out to 200% of their base range with a Difficulty modifier of +10 (and -5 if at a range of 50% maximum or less).

Sensor signature and range is also going to depend greatly on Passive vs. Active use. Again, a realistic rule would have active sensor emissions be far more detectable on Passive Sensors; if attempting to use Passive to detect/identify a ship using Active sensors, the range for the Passives should be equal (at a minimum) to the combined range of the two. So, for example, a ship with 150 SU Sensors in Scan mode will be detected 200 SUs out by a ship with 50 SU Passive Sensors.

Scale, IMO, could also be a factor, but since smaller sensor profile would likely be counter-balanced by the much greater power budget of larger ships, I'm on the fence as to how to include it.

As to your scenario with the GR-75, the TIE/fc generally has an effect of adding 2D to the Fire Control of a friendly ship targeting whatever it is aimed at. I'm unclear how the X-Wing factors in...

As for the Nebulon transmitting target intel to a Y-Wing squadron, the scenario you describe is highly possible, as the military grade comm system on a Nebulon would be capable of directional transmissions. So long as the signal was being transmitted away from the Imperials, the risk of the Imps detecting the signal would be greatly reduced.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you say that these comm/sensor rules would directly port over to non-starships. Take for instance a resource recon speeder. It has a Search range of 2km, would you set it up 500m/1km/2km/4km?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Would you say that these comm/sensor rules would directly port over to non-starships. Take for instance a resource recon speeder. It has a Search range of 2km, would you set it up 500m/1km/2km/4km?

When I re-did the vehicle stats, I gave everything atleast basic sensor capacity, so this fits. There would be different classes of sensors, though, so a high end commercial sensor package could potentially be just as capable as the sensors on a military ship, but lack the capacity for electronic warfare and fire control.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking in various equipment books, and noticed that the sensors on this speeder were as good as having a handheld sensor device, which makes no sense to me.

I feel like something whose primary mission is a commercial sensor vehicle should have a suite that has at least some decent range. 2km (By RAW) is pretty insignificant, when you can buy a cheaper speeder and a handheld unit for less credits.

Resource Recon Speeder
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Once a ship slowly worked its way to the same point in realspace that it could have jumped strait to, wouldn't the chances for detection be the same from that point?
I assume that the actual emergence from hyperspace is more detectable than a ship moving inwards under normal or low power. So if the ship emerges from hyperspace within the detection distance of the sensors (whatever that is) it is immediately obvious on sensors. Possibly without even requiring a roll by the operator or a roll with a big bonus. One way to simulate this would be to allow sensors a much longer range (x2, x10?) for detection of hyperspace emergence.

Quote:
Ozzel actually think that the Rebels would be surprised by coming out of lightspeed closer to the planet?
I assume the surprise referred to is the minimal reaction time available to the Rebels before the Imperial ships are in range of the Rebel base.

So the trade offs are

1. Jump in close and be immediately spotted but allow the opponent minimal time to prepare before the attacker starts shooting at the defender.
    2. Jump in far away. Most likely your arrival won’t be spotted on sensors. Move in slowly and quietly and hope they don’t spot you until you are in range. If you succeed you get the same “surprise” as from jumping close in. But if you fail the defender gets the longer approach time to prepare their defenses.

Perhaps which tactics are better depends on what sort of defenses the defender has. If they have ships then having more time (as in 2) might allow the defender to gather his ships and prepare a defense. So #1 may be a better tactic against ship defenders.

On the other hand if the defenses are static like large guns (the ion cannon) and shields, time to rearrange defending ships is irrelevant so #2 isn’t very useful and #1 might be better tactics.

On Hoth the Rebels weren’t defending with a fleet. (They didn’t have a real fleet at this point.) So perhaps Vader is complaining about Ozzel’s choice of tactics since here #2 might be the best tactical choice in this situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: