The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Turtle based race?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Turtle based race? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean this with all the love I can muster:

You people are goofy.

Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
As a rule of thumb, tortoises tend to be land-dwelling and poor or non-swimmers, while turtles tend to be at least amphibious and usually good swimmers.

Turtles also have very interesting qualities when it comes to their organs - it seems senescence does not affect their internal organs, which is interesting from a longevity standpoint.

That's an interesting point. If the same holds true, these could be one of the galaxy's long lived, contemplative races. A reclusive force sensitive Xodax could make an excellent mentor to a Jedi PC, with his amphibious abilities explaining how he managed to hide from the Empire; he found a tropical swamp somewhere and went back to nature. Such a creature might be right at home somewhere on Dagobah...

Also, with their high Swim speed, should they also have the ability to hold their breath?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age is one thing i was looking for, on my race, but their pacifism imo might kybosh them from being a jedi what with the push to train in lightsaber from a young age..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The age is one thing i was looking for, on my race, but their pacifism imo might kybosh them from being a jedi what with the push to train in lightsaber from a young age..

Doesn't necessarily have to be a Jedi. A race like this might have their own Force tradition, and be willing to teach the right student.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
but their pacifism imo might kybosh them from being a jedi what with the push to train in lightsaber from a young age..

I disagree. Your turtles can be tree hugging, pacifist, space hippies and still train to be jedi/warriors. Take a look at certain martial arts forms.

Tai Chi is slow, graceful, and quite beautiful to watch. Something very appealing to a pacifist, yet it also has training in the Straight Sword (Jian/Gim), the Broad Sword (Dao), Spear, and Long Pole.

Aikido fighters consider the safety and well-being of their attacker as much as they do their own. Rather than defeat their opponent, an Aikido fighter’s goal is to find a peaceful resolution.

Ueshiba was once quoted, “To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace.”

Weapons training for Aikido include the Jo (staff), Tanto (knife), and Bokken (sword)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doesn't mesh with my view for the race.. Mostly to NOT create a TNMT vision in people's minds.

But i could potentially see a force like tradition focused solely on the healing arts, and nothing else.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Still doesn't mesh with my view for the race.. Mostly to NOT create a TNMT vision in people's minds.

But i could potentially see a force like tradition focused solely on the healing arts, and nothing else.

Putting limitations on force use is fine if that's how you want to design the race. but the TMNT turtles never had those types of special abilities.

A player so inclined to make an accurate TMNT homage can easily do so by taking the skills

Brawling
Brawling Parry
Dodge
Melee Combat
Melee Parry
Thrown Weapon
Sneak

And then further specialize in martial arts, and weapon skills. Then use hi tech weapons like vibro-blades, power/force/stun/electro/blast staffs/pikes etc.

If you want to discourage people from making TMNT style characters you are going to have to prohibit characters from learning any sort of hand to hand defense/attack skills.

It's not the ability to become a jedi that inspires the vision of TMNT, it's being a humanoid turtle species that inspires the vision.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's the thing, i am NOT making this race to be a mirror of the TNMT.. Or at least not trying to...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But that's the thing, i am NOT making this race to be a mirror of the TMNT.. Or at least not trying to...

Exactly. The silliness of the TMNT theory is amusing, but is really just distracting from what you are actually trying to do. If someone seriously wants to do a TMNT crossover, that would be best discussed in its own topic.

Regarding the Xodax's Force use, I don't see why they would need to limit themselves just to the healing arts. Affect Mind would come in very handy if a pacifist wished to convince someone not to attack them (or to forget seeing them entirely). The various Sense powers also have their uses for predicting and avoiding conflict.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But that's the thing, i am NOT making this race to be a mirror of the TNMT.. Or at least not trying to...

But you ARE taking what was posted for it's humor value seriously instead of laughing at it. If you choose to take it as a serious suggestion I'll politely discuss it's merits and flaws.

However since it wasn't my intent to upset you I'll drop the subject.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even in simply exploring the nature of the Force... they might know very little Alter, for example, and favor using Sense to examine the force, and apply practical methods of healing... what we'd call accupressure or acupuncture... though I shudder at what a turtle race would use for acupuncture...
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as this species is somehow also involved in Ghtroc Industries starship design or in creating the Clone Wars' Turtle Tanker, then all is well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: