The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi to Mandalorian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Jedi to Mandalorian. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Jedi to Mandalorian. Reply with quote

This is a character concept I've been interested in for ages. Tragically have never had the opportunity to play such a character (For longer than three sessions). Personally I've always thought it would be an entertaining character to roleplay, the conflicting lifestyles, struggling to maintain both. Has anyone here ever played this concept before? any thoughts on what that person would be like, especially early on.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of my NPCs a Mandalorian turned Jedi. Because of the conflict, the council never let him become anything more than a knight. His training measurement was harsh, almost extreme, but all Padawan that trained under him went on to do great things.

He tended to exemplify the warrior monk attitude, probably more along the lines of a legendary samurai. Training in his martial skills to the point of perfection, praying that he'd never have to use them.

I think if you can find the happy medium, go for it!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, when I picture a character in Mandalorian armor wielding a lightsaber, the first word that comes to mind is "munchkin."

Not that it has to be, but it is certainly something to be wary of...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Frankly, when I picture a character in Mandalorian armor wielding a lightsaber, the first word that comes to mind is "munchkin."

Now, take off the helmet, and make that character also a Wookie...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Same here. It just seems like a power gamer's wet dream combining both mando and jedi together..

THOUGH one of the novels (legacy of the force saga) did have Jaina train as a mando under Boba Fett, to help take down her brother Darth Cadeus..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More seriously, I would start by defining what you mean by a Mandolorian... while Jedi has a relatively stable definition (though not without its arguments), Mandolorian has had a varied one as time went on.

How does "Mandolorian" mesh with "Jedi"? Where are the conflicts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall some mention that, for whatever reason, the original Mandalorians (when they were a species, before they became a culture) could not be Force Sensitive, as a racial trait.

Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, wasn't expecting quite so many replies. But as for what I mean by Mandalorian... I'm going to go with the Frame work Traviss laid out as I like it, personal preference. And I will agree that it does sound rather munchkin, best armor and best weapon, all the mods you can put on their armor it does lend itself to a bit of a overpowered appearance. The idea came to me a long time ago, then the Legacy of the force novel Garkhal mentioned helped fuel the fires once more, as I recall there was a Jedi from the clone wars who had left with to join the Mandalorians and he was one of the guys who briefly taught her the Mando ways.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bardan Jusik, later known as Bardan Skirata, and even later Gotab.

There's also the Mandalorian Knights. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_Knights

Personally, I think you could balance the way of the Jedi with the way of Mandalore. Simplified, in one you strive to know the universe. In the other, you strive to be the best you can, honing yourself through the crucible of battle. Shouldn't necessarily mean that you must fall.

Also, Mandalorians aren't really "overpowered". They're a culture. They're a brand. They're a Bounty Hunter with a Mythosaur on his Bounty Hunter armor. Doesn't mean that one should start out with an armor of Mandalorian armor, or even that one should just grab Boba Fett's gear, slap a lightsaber on that and call it good.

They have a code, a creed, and a way of life. They have a distinct look. They're no more overpowered than the guy that wants to play a Stormtrooper that somehow has deserted, and got their Stormtrooper armor in their inventory.
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I perfectly understand that noone should get Mandalorian iron gear out of the gate. I've been making the Mando PC in the game I play bleed for her gear.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might interest you...

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Yes, my NPC had shed his Mandalorian gear, but not all of the tenants of his beliefs. The armor and weapons are tools of war, which is not the way of the Jedi.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:

They have a code, a creed, and a way of life. They have a distinct look. They're no more overpowered than the guy that wants to play a Stormtrooper that somehow has deserted, and got their Stormtrooper armor in their inventory.
\

But with jedi who break the code there are easy penalties (loss of mentor, removal of knight status and/or lightsaber, DSPS etc).. What is there for mando culture if someone breaks it??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But with jedi who break the code there are easy penalties (loss of mentor, removal of knight status and/or lightsaber, DSPS etc).. What is there for mando culture if someone breaks it??

Other Mandalorians shunning you, beating you up or even actively hunting you down to kill you?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Yes, my NPC had shed his Mandalorian gear, but not all of the tenants of his beliefs. The armor and weapons are tools of war, which is not the way of the Jedi.

Okay, that's a much better option. The armor is generally what brings the munchkins a-running, but when you strip that away and leave just the character aspects of Mandalorian warrior culture, that presents some intersting possibilities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: