The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

EVA Rescue Pod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> EVA Rescue Pod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: EVA Rescue Pod Reply with quote

This is mentioned in passing as part of the starting equipment for a Space Rescue Corps Officer (see pg. 56 of Heroes & Rogues). While the template is under the Imperials section, this is one of those character types that could make a useful PC as part of a Rebel group.

What I'm curious about is what you all think would be good stats for a "Stock EVA Rescue Pod". Under the boarding tools section in Pirates & Privateers, it is mentioned that a lot of the tools used by pirates are also used by space rescue personnel to cut into hulked ships and rescue captive personnel.

I'm picturing a pod that can fit into a standard escape pod dock on a stock light freighter, with a mix of different equipment, such as a plasma torch, cofferdam (temporary airlock) and so on and so forth.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... kind of depends on the purpose. Is its purpose to rescue personnel who are in vacuum, or to board ships that are damaged? Or is it both?

Let's start with something about the size of the Tantive IV's pod. 3PO was comfortable standing in it, so we'll call it 2m tall inside... say, a 3m circle as the widest cross section. We'll make it 4m long, but the back meter is taken up by engines, and the front meter by the cofferdam... so inside is a pretty cozy 2m*2m. Maybe 2m*1.5m, with fold-out stretcher bunk on the back wall, giving you a bit more capacity.

It won't be fast; something else transports it, it just maneuvers. Space 1, if that, and a 0D Maneuverability. I'd be inclined to give it a speeder-scale tractor beam... good for grabbing floating personnel (who would be drawn to the more massive pod), or as a maneuvering hook for getting close to ships. From there, it has a star-fighter scale plasma torch, good for cutting through hull metal, but not a quick weapon, nor one with any range... say, 2D rounds to make it through a hull. Again, not really a weapon, except in the sense that a table saw or wood chipper is a weapon... more a terrain hazard, if a fight happens near an unmounted pod.

The cofferdam is detachable and replaceable, making some things easier. Set it into the hull and you can ferry people back and forth with multiple pods... link in, load up, delink, and let the next pod load up a few more passengers. For larger rescues, you need something bigger... a freighter or shuttle, so people can move through an umbilical.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could also see it carrying 2-4 'vac suit repair patches, 4-8 spare O2 tanks..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could also see it carrying 2-4 'vac suit repair patches, 4-8 spare O2 tanks..

Definitely. I was mostly thinking about the physical aspects of the vehicle, but I'd also include medkits, and some repair tools. An astromech droid would be nice, maybe recessed into the back wall.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like this: http://www.astronautix.com/r/rescueball.html
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For size, i would actually see it LARGER than a regular escape pod, since it has to have not just thrusters, but control stick, maneuvering thrusters, a tractor beam projector (speeder-character scale), those cutting tools, and space to hold the rescued folk...
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be too much larger; he was looking for something that could fit in a standard escape pod launch.

Now, my version isn't huge. Assume each letter is a square meter

ACCE
ACCE
ACCE

So, the basic vehicle is a rounded cylinder, about 3m in diameter by 4m in length. The A's in that represent the Airlock... the front is a cofferdam, with the plasma torch on a track around it. The E's in that represent Engine and other mechanical bits, with the C being a cabin piece... a small section, no doubt, but with a control stick to take up minimum space. No seating, just places to stand and retractable bunks against the back wall. Interior space is closer to 2m*2m
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
How about something like this: http://www.astronautix.com/r/rescueball.html

Definitely. Since it's collapsible, you could store quite a few of them tucked away in cabinets, yet still be able to use them for rescue purposes on short notice.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Can't be too much larger; he was looking for something that could fit in a standard escape pod launch.

This is negotiable. I'd also be content with a parasite ship that could hard dock on the hull of a space transport and be carried through hyperspace.

As far as the standard escape pod design, it's also possible that the internal gravity is oriented along the x-axis, with the "floor" of the passenger compartment being the bulkhead of the engine compartment, and the ceiling being the airlock system. I could even see the pilot controlling the ship by camera view or a visor display (ala Jan Ors in the Dark Forces games).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an article pending for Issue #3 of Wildspace Magazine (which is on perpetual hold at the moment) that is compendium of technology for salvage operations (hinted at in one of the sidebars in the ImpSB). A lot of the tech that's listed there would be equally useful in an EVA Rescue mission. Unfortunately, it's not my article, so I can't share the details here. However, one concept that comes to mind for the RescueBall concept is equipping them with Tractor Tags, which are essentially homing devices that allow a tractor beam projector to pick a target out of the clutter one might expect to find around a damaged or destroyed ship.

I picture an EVA team using a cofferdam or universal airlock as a connector to inflate rescue balls one at a time, then activating the tractor tags and setting them adrift. Once they're free floating, the mother ship homes in on the tag signal with its tractor beam and reels them in.

It's also possible that a tractor beam could be modified to include a shielding effect, enclosing the fragile rescue ball in an energy field that not only allows it to be reeled in, but also deflects floating debris to keep it from bumping into the ball and potentially puncturing or rupturing it.

There is also the Force Tube used by the Wild Karrde to transfer Luke across from his damaged X-Wing in Heir to the Empire. I've posited that such a device would be in common use for both EVA rescue and underway replenishment (and by extension deep-space transfer of goods between ships, which smugglers might have a use for), but using it for EVA Rescue would be more in-line with how they were used in their first appearance.

Another option would be to convert a freighter to serve as a mother ship to an EVA rescue pod. Maybe an HT-2200, with one or two of the bays converted to hangars for rescue pods, with the remaining two set aside for passenger space, as well as med bays for treating survivors...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of a different project, I came across the stats for the Med Runner in The Truce At Bakura Sourcebook. It's a bit large for one character, but it is dead-on as far as purpose, and has some great ideas.

Another possibility would be a variation on the combat pinnace from Han Solo & The Corporate Sector, maybe equipping it with the improved Lifeform Sensors from the Med-Runner, and a hyperdrive to make it more viable as a character's ship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: