The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jupiter Ascending Crossover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Jupiter Ascending Crossover Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the Vong hating them. But on the topic of the initial crossover idea i'm going to sit down and give this movie a go. Eddie Redmayne gives me a modicum of hope so we shall see.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never was a fan of the Ssi-Ruuk or entechment.

Melkor wrote:
But on the topic of the initial crossover idea i'm going to sit down and give this movie a go. Eddie Redmayne gives me a modicum of hope so we shall see.

What did you think, Melkor? I went into Jupiter Ascending knowing it had totally bombed in the theater so I had low expectations, and it was ok.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was meh and therefore a crossover would probably be meh. The Star Wars universe is too big.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
The movie was meh and therefore a crossover would probably be meh.

One of the first Star Wars adventures I wrote was heavily inspired by the 1988 Van Damme movie Bloodsport. The movie was entirely meh but the adventure was a lot of fun. StarWarsified meh can sometimes turn out much better than the source. So I must reject the notion that a crossover with meh is probably meh.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Error wrote:

One of the first Star Wars adventures I wrote was heavily inspired by the 1988 Van Damme movie Bloodsport. The movie was entirely meh but the adventure was a lot of fun. StarWarsified meh can sometimes turn out much better than the source. So I must reject the notion that a crossover with meh is probably meh.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it all depends on you as a GM, doesn't it? I guess what I should say is "My version would suck."
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Whill wrote:
Error wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it all depends on you as a GM, doesn't it? I guess what I should say is "My version would suck."

I think some of it comes down to being excited about the source material, too. If you're not excited by the idea of a Jupiter Ascending crossover, it's going to be meh. If you're mining it for more starship designs, chances are it will be just another starship design. But if you're excited about bringing that into Star Wars, or playing in that universe and wanting to use SWD6 to do that, then you're going to work to make it interesting, to highlight the stuff that makes it cool and unique.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Error wrote:
Whill wrote:
Error wrote:

I think some of it comes down to being excited about the source material, too. If you're not excited by the idea of a Jupiter Ascending crossover, it's going to be meh. If you're mining it for more starship designs, chances are it will be just another starship design. But if you're excited about bringing that into Star Wars, or playing in that universe and wanting to use SWD6 to do that, then you're going to work to make it interesting, to highlight the stuff that makes it cool and unique.

^ This.

I have never specifically executed what you would call a "crossover," but I have brought in vehicles, weapons, equipment, and even concepts from other universes/games. Star Trek comes to mind.

Enthusiasm counts for a lot...

I move that all GM's be paid for their colossal efforts! You spend two weeks writing a detailed adventure with all kinds of fun twists and turns, and your PC's sit there eating their fast food and b**** about your game.

Me:
"Look dude...all you do is come in twice a month and sit here for four hours. I work on adventures even when I'm not trying to. I write ideas down constantly. So shut your mouth!"

What I'm saying is, if I was going to do a crossover, I'd be taking a loooong hard look at the small collection of neckbeards who are going to be rolling the dice...

Will they appreciate it? Will I need them to? How much effort am I willing to expend writing a large crossover?

(I know this is discussing crossovers as a whole, but I think it matters.)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

Will they appreciate it? Will I need them to?

(I know this is discussing crossovers as a whole, but I think it matters.)

I think it does, too. Many moons ago, I played in a Rifts game that was TRULY kitchen sink. He brought in characters from every Rifts book and not a few things from other places... IIRC, the GMs character was a Cosmo-knight who generally flew around on a White Star, and he eventually got bored of my relatively vanilla dwarven techno-wizard and decided to turn him into Beldin from the Belgariad/Mallorean.

He was clearly enthusiastic about everything, but most of us just didn't give a s***... it was clear that the crossover nature was to allow him to fanwank, rather than to make an interesting story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: