The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jupiter Ascending Crossover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Jupiter Ascending Crossover Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Jupiter Ascending Crossover Reply with quote

So, since this came up off-topic in another thread, I thought I'd move it over here.

I'll say up front that I wasn't hugely impressed with this film. The visuals were amazing, and there were moments of humor (the bureaucracy scene in the middle was straight out of a Monty Python sketch. Literally. That was Terry Gilliam as the Seal and Signets Minister), but as a whole, it just didn't grab me and pull me in.

Obviously, YMMV.

While the starships in the film were visually amazing, their tech is obviously far advanced over that of the SWU, with free-floating components held in place by force fields (apparently), so porting them over into the SWU would require some sort of advanced alien race.

And then, of course, there is the idea of harvesting entire planetary populations for the purpose of creating a drug that essentially makes one immortal (so long as you keep taking it).

That, IMO, is probably the most likely crossover option for this film; an advanced alien race that abducts living being to render them down for their life force, and creates Moreaus (human-animal hybrids) as enhanced soldiers to do their bidding...

I've already got the harvesting idea locked in for a different crossover (the Necrons of Warhammer 40K), but it might be something others would be interested in...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be interesting. Perhaps some other Extra Galactic threat (Nagai, Vong and probably others). I think I would personally change it to harvesting Force Sensitives.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melkor wrote:
Could be interesting. Perhaps some other Extra Galactic threat (Nagai, Vong and probably others). I think I would personally change it to harvesting Force Sensitives.

For a different crossover, maybe; Jupiter Ascending is pretty specific about harvesting the entire planetary population. Focusing specifically on Force Sensitives would be more associated with the Shadows from Babylon 5 or the Imperium of Man from Warhammer 40,000.

Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Haven't actually watched the movie to completion as of yet. Though on the topic of Bab5, why did BSG get a reboot and not Babylon? I need my G'kar/Londo banter fix.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because B5 is newer compared to how old BSG was..?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe because B5 is newer compared to how old BSG was..?

True. BSG took close to 30 years to get a reboot. You could be in for a long wait.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what's worse, is i have heard rumors that they are doing yet another REBOOT for BSG, making a movie first for it.. not sure how true it is..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also be an ownership thing... B5 was, so far as I know, pretty much Straczynski's thing.

A quick search says BSG was wholly owned by NBC Universal, while Warner shares ownership of B5 with PTN Consortium... and while I can't find much information about the PTN Consortium with a quick search, it could be that licensing between them and Warner keeps it from being remade as easily as something owned wholly by NBC.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter Ascending Crossover Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I seem to be (on many sites) one of the few who loved jupiter ascending.. And i LOVED the visuals, especially that 'made to order box to vac suit emergency thinggy.

I'll say is that the tech level in JA was more advanced than that of the SWU.

Although an ultra-advanced race who harvests life to extend their own could make an interesting villain...

I didn't love Jupiter Ascending, but it was ok. I snagged some of the film images from the official website to use as locations for the SW RPG. I think the sentients-harvesting race is a great idea for an adventure/antagonist. Hmm...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter Ascending Crossover Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I think the sentients-harvesting race is a great idea for an adventure/antagonist. Hmm...

Technically, the SWU already has one (the Ssi-Ruuk), but apart from the creepy horror of entechment, the Ssi-Ruuk themselves never really impressed me. They were almost comical: cowardly, racist velociraptors. Compared to life eating horrors like WH40K's Tyranids, they "just weren't evil enough."

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but enteching only powered their robots.. NOT expanded their lifespan.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, but enteching only powered their robots.. NOT expanded their lifespan.

Yes, but since Whill specifically mentioned a life-harvesting adversarial race without going into more detail, the point still stands.

Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten all about those little lizard dudes. Did they ever make an appearance again after Bakura?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melkor wrote:
I had forgotten all about those little lizard dudes. Did they ever make an appearance again after Bakura?

They showed up for a bit part in the NJO, but if anything, the Vong hated them more than the rest of the galaxy because of entechment.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Melkor wrote:

They showed up for a bit part in the NJO, but if anything, the Vong hated them more than the rest of the galaxy because of entechment.

I remember a Mention of them, but not them showing up..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: