The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hallowed are the Ori!!! Faith - power??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Hallowed are the Ori!!! Faith - power??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Hallowed are the Ori!!! Faith - power?? Reply with quote

I have started doing a re-watch of Stargate Sg-1 season 9 and 10, dealing with the Ori.. But that makes me wonder.

I know in one of the Han solo novels, the T’landa Til, kinda of ran a missionary like religious cult, using their sonic cone producing abilities to overwhelm people and make them feel Ecstasy..
But, could a race somehow actually gain POWER from being actually worshiped? Sort of like how the Ori do?
What power(s) would you give say to the Priors and such that they could make to help 'promote their faith'.??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palladium's Pantheons of the Megaverse (their rules for introducing the gods of mythology into Rifts) based a god's power and standing on the number of followers and worshippers they had. It's been quite a while since I've looked at it, so I'm iffy on the details.

Also, in WH40K, Ork Weirdboyz derive their psychic power from the collective consciousness of other Orks, instead of the Warp.

So that's a couple examples. However, you are talking about thousands or even millions of individuals contributing their power. IMO, events that raise or lower that number enough to have an impact are more likely to be story factors where the characters' actions either cause large numbers of believers to either disbelieve or have their faith reinforced.

As for powers, I would say something like a prior would potentially have access to all the known Force powers, plus others as appropriate to the story. They would use the same Control, Sense and Alter skills, but the basis of those skill levels would be rooted in both the character's "faith" and the power level of the worshipped being.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would presume that one would have to use a species that had some facility with the Force. And, perhaps, a Force using tradition similar to the Sorcerers of Tund, or perhaps the Dark Force.

The Reborn of the Empire Reborn, shows that it is possible to infuse individuals with Force ability. One could therefore speculate that it is possible to amplify an individual's facility with the Force if done properly - similar to how certain Holocrons and other Force artifacts can work.

So, if you have a species that have some innate facility with the Force, and they have a ritual or ceremonies that focus their attention in some fashion through a locus as embodied by a person, then that person might be augmented or their facility with the Force amplified. A 'reverse' Battle Meditation, perhaps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: