The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lifespan of humans?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Lifespan of humans? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Lifespan of humans? Reply with quote

This is kind of a "Star Wars Universe" thing, rather than a game thing, but is it stated anywhere what the lifespan of humans is? Like, say, a Bail Organa. He was almost 70 when he died (according to Wookiepedia), but how long could he have expected to live, had his planet not blown up? He was wealthy, so had access to good medical care, but not force-sensitive, so couldn't expect increased longevity from that...

How long will a human life in SWG, given good medical care? How long of their life will be healthy?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one book ever mentions anything.. But assuming a better than earth average, i can see 120=130 as a max age..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not one book ever mentions anything.. But assuming a better than earth average, i can see 120=130 as a max age..

Works for me, too. I know other sci-fi genres have mixed in extra-long living for human beings, but most often it is for plot reasons.

The Honorverse, for example, features a genetic treatment called Prolong. Administered in children and teenagers, it quadruples the human life span. Of course, in the Honorverse, travel times take months or years, even with FTL travel, and the story is paced accordingly, so humans need to be extra long-lived, else they would be octogenarians after 4-5 novels. Star Wars doesn't have that problem. Galactic travel, even from one side to the other, is a matter of weeks, at most.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the bigger question is what of all the OTHER alien species out there?
How long to wookies live? Mon cal? Hutts? Etc..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifespan of humans? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
This is kind of a "Star Wars Universe" thing, rather than a game thing, but is it stated anywhere what the lifespan of humans is?

...How long will a human life in SWG, given good medical care? How long of their life will be healthy?

You cite Wookieepedia for Bail Organa, but you didn't look at Wookieepedia's entry on the Human species while you were there? "...most Humans still died in their early hundreds unless they were wealthy enough to afford rejuvenation procedures of the sort available at Aurora Medical Facility on Obroa-skai." The stated source on that is the James Luceno novel Millennium Flacon which is EU/Legends. The canon article on Humans doesn't go into lifespan.

garhkal wrote:
Now the bigger question is what of all the OTHER alien species out there?
How long to wookies live? Mon cal? Hutts? Etc..

WotC's Star Wars RPG, which has aging rules, has age ranges for every species it has stats for, which by the time Saga Edition came out included almost every species from the first six films plus many EU species. It still doesn't give an average lifespan though. The last age range is "venerable" which is just an age "+". For example, venerable for Humans is 80+.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always forget about the Legends tab on Wookiepedia.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new essential guide to alien species gave humans a lifespan of 120 to 130 years at maximum. Of course that is without cyborg or rejuvenating procedures or other abnormal circumstances.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifespan of humans? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

WotC's Star Wars RPG, which has aging rules, has age ranges for every species it has stats for, which by the time Saga Edition came out included almost every species from the first six films plus many EU species. It still doesn't give an average lifespan though. The last age range is "venerable" which is just an age "+". For example, venerable for Humans is 80+.

So can anyone who has the WOTC stuff post them?
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. Screen Capped directly from the core book Garhkal.

http://imgur.com/A7gKoQt
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M.. Wow it lists quite a few races hitting venerable at 80+..
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Personally I've just decided to bump most races up about 50% of what they've listed. Cause I cannot accept that a Gungan only lives 70-80 years, Gammoreans are old at 45.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melkor wrote:
Yeah, Personally I've just decided to bump most races up about 50% of what they've listed. Cause I cannot accept that a Gungan only lives 70-80 years, Gammoreans are old at 45.

I think it's actually quite reasonable for the vast majority (say, 95+%) of species to live about as long as humans. Species that live for multiple centuries (Wookiees, according to WotC live 400-ish years, for example) cause problems with suspension of disbelief.

The only way to mitigate this, IMHO, is to reduce the intelligence AND fertility of such species so as to explain why they haven't made human beings obsolete. Such a long life would allow for individuals to have multiple dozens of offspring, thus propagating the galaxy at enormous rates.

WotC also claims that force sensitives live twice as long as typical members of their species. I don't have a problem with this, since force sensitives are rare.

Not that it necessarily matters, but consider life on this planet. There are precious few species that have a longer life expectancy that human beings. Even without advanced medical care, humans could reasonably expect to live far longer than almost any animal that dies of "old" age.

Also, for what its worth, the human life span being "extended" by things like medical care obeys the law of averages: just because someone dies from sickness or injury does not mean that his original life expectancy was not 100 years or more. In other words, medical care doesn't really improve life expectancy. It just reduces the number of people who die prematurely, thereby increasing the average age of death.
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly had not ran across the Force sensitives living twice as long. Though I suppose that would explain Dooku's vitality for a man of his advanced years. I've noted on most of the species with massive lifespans they tend to be confined to single planets and are of very low tech base. At least from what I've noticed, don't recall the Wookies being incredibly advanced technologically. Or any of the other long lived species, but I could be wrong and have missed something somewhere, not like there isn't about four and a half tons of information.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

WotC also claims that force sensitives live twice as long as typical members of their species. I don't have a problem with this, since force sensitives are rare.

They are supposed to be rare, but i have had some tables where of the 7-8 pcs, 6 were force sensitive, and even worse, a table where over half the 7 pcs, were force USERS..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:

They are supposed to be rare, but i have had some tables where of the 7-8 pcs, 6 were force sensitive, and even worse, a table where over half the 7 pcs, were force USERS..

I ran a game back in college where there was only one non-force sensitive character in the game. Fortunately, he was a twi'lek, conceived as a minor crime boss... while other people had lightsabers and force powers, he had Guido and Nunzio, two Gamorreans he insisted on dressing in suits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: