The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scales: Walker v. Starfighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Scales: Walker v. Starfighter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I agree that if a walker should be in Starfighter scale, put it in Starfighter scale. If a speeder should be in walker scale, put it there. There's no hard limit to what should be in what scale.

Agreed. Far too many things were miscategorized for silly reasons. Like putting the Leviathan Submersible Aircraft Carrier at Walker-Scale, even though it was the size of a Corellian Corvette and could carry a dozen starfighters.

In the 1E System, starfighters, speeders and walkers were all considered the same scale to simplify combat. It wasn't until 2E introduced the dice cap scale system that things started to change. It's worth considering those original rules if you want to understand how we ended up with the 2R&E System.
    Walker shooting vs. Starfighter dodging = 6/6

Starfighter shooting vs. Walker dodging = 5/2

Walker damage vs. Starfighter soak = 3/6

Starfighter damage vs. Walker soak = 6/3

This is where they started changing things up to make Walkers less effective against Starfighters, and the 2R&E Scale system only made it worse.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best use of the scale system I've ever seen is in Dagarthorn's Transformers D6 game. With the different sized robots in disguise, scale becomes an integral part of the game. That game really got me to appreciate scale.

Here's a link if you're interested: http://dagarthorn.proboards.com/thread/131/introduction-chapter-basics
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've read 1E, never played it. I think they were trying to simplify things, and it might have worked with a better editing staff.

Most of the famous issues with vehicle stats (Blast boat, B-Wing, Nebulon B) come from poor editorial over site.

I am often looking to simplify combat with my players, looking for that balance between fair and tedious.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Yeah, I've read 1E, never played it. I think they were trying to simplify things, and it might have worked with a better editing staff.

Most of the famous issues with vehicle stats (Blast boat, B-Wing, Nebulon B) come from poor editorial over site.

I am often looking to simplify combat with my players, looking for that balance between fair and tedious.

I've come up with my own scale system, and I'm pretty satisfied with it, especially considering the amount of effort I've put into refining it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: