The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Earth in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Earth in Star Wars Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Earth in Star Wars Reply with quote

I have always wondered where Earth is in Star Wars.

I have read some references to earth all of them indirectly, unless it is about "star tours" that do have earth as a destination.
Earth in "Fath" Sector

I however when i child always pictured star wars to be a long time ago, aka in the very distant past and to me Dagobah was always "my earth" in the saga, a prehistoric earth.

I was wondering if anyone else in the galaxy had any thoughts or information on earth.

I also know of cancelled books that do actually take the saga to a 25th century earth.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's in another galaxy far, far away. Possbily Andromeda, that place is huge!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Pretty sure it's in another galaxy far, far away. Possibly Andromeda, that place is huge!

Nah, Andromeda is way too close to be the Galaxy Far, Far Away. In about 3.5 billion years, the Milky Way galaxy (our galaxy) and Andromeda are going to collide and create a new galaxy, which means they're relatively close to each other. Hell, Andromeda basically is our next door neighbor right now! If both galaxies are in the Local Group, that doesn't qualify as "far, far away" galactically speaking.

Fun Fact: the new galaxy has already been nicknamed Milkomeda or Milkdromeda. I prefer Milkdromeda.

EDIT: Whenever I imagined Earth in the Star Wars universe, I always thought that Earth was/is an old colony of Coruscant or something. Basically, it was a combination of the Yuuzhan Vong thing about needing to leave their galaxy (except it was humans fleeing to a new galaxy this time) and the Battlestar Galactica thing about Earth being an old colony planet of humanity rather than its homeworld.

Cheesy, I know.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

I also know of cancelled books that do actually take the saga to a 25th century earth.

Alien Exodus
"Another place, another time. A world called Earth, in its early 25th century, is moving toward a totalitarian, computer-controlled society."
―Robert J. Sawyer, Alien Exodus outline
From THX-1138 to Star Wars.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Earth in Star Wars Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I have always wondered where Earth is in Star Wars...

Interesting thread. Of course "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" is just a more spacey way of saying the fairy tale intro of "Once upon a time in a faraway land." Although it seems that Star Wars takes place in a different universe than we exist in, it is fun to think about "Earth in Star Wars".

Darklighter79 wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

Alien Exodus
"Another place, another time. A world called Earth, in its early 25th century, is moving toward a totalitarian, computer-controlled society."
―Robert J. Sawyer, Alien Exodus outline
From THX-1138 to Star Wars.

And there was a wormhole which went to a far away galaxy billions of years into the past of the 25th century Earth.

I feel billions of years in the past is too long ago because some stars, black holes, elements, etc. only exist in a 13 billions year old universe. For example, the Solar System is the third one here and contains elements created by the death of two prior stars. If Star Wars existed in the same universe as Earth but billions of years ago, Star Wars would not have the same range of elements and astronomical bodies that we have in our own galaxy, so I would hate to limit Star Wars in that way. Especially since I'm one of those GMs that actually applies some degree of real science when I create original star systems for my game. I go as far as determining the stars age, mass, class, etc. Some of these options would not be available in a significantly younger universe. The authors of The Essential Atlas agree with the old universe timeframe for Star Wars.

Sutehp wrote:
Pel wrote:
Pretty sure it's in another galaxy far, far away. Possibly Andromeda, that place is huge!

Nah, Andromeda is way too close to be the Galaxy Far, Far Away. In about 3.5 billion years, the Milky Way galaxy (our galaxy) and Andromeda are going to collide and create a new galaxy, which means they're relatively close to each other. Hell, Andromeda basically is our next door neighbor right now! If both galaxies are in the Local Group, that doesn't qualify as "far, far away" galactically speaking.

While I don't like to imagine Star Wars as taking place a vast amount of time in the past, I'm on the other end as far as distance from Earth. Having spent a lot of time in my life trying to fathom the awesome scale of the universe, I agree with that Andromeda is way too close on a universal scale to really give "galaxy far, far away" the proper scale it deserves. And Andromeda being one of the galaxies we know the most about its shape and composition, that pigeon holes the SW galaxy in ways that it should not be limited to. It's a vast universe. Star Wars can be anywhere in the universe and a galaxy not even visible from Earth.

Sutehp wrote:
Whenever I imagined Earth in the Star Wars universe, I always thought that Earth was/is an old colony of Coruscant or something. Basically, it was a combination of the Yuuzhan Vong thing about needing to leave their galaxy (except it was humans fleeing to a new galaxy this time) and the Battlestar Galactica thing about Earth being an old colony planet of humanity rather than its homeworld.

The problem I have with humans not being from Earth is that we are too genetically similar to other life on Earth to not be from Earth. The percentage of DNA humanity shares with the other great apes are in the high 90s.

Mamatried wrote:
I have read some references to earth all of them indirectly, unless it is about "star tours" that do have earth as a destination.
Earth in "Fath" Sector

I however when i child always pictured star wars to be a long time ago, aka in the very distant past and to me Dagobah was always "my earth" in the saga, a prehistoric earth.

I was wondering if anyone else in the galaxy had any thoughts or information on earth.

In my SWU, humans evolved on a planet in a satellite galaxy and were then transplanted to Coruscant, Corellia and other worlds by Celestials. The Celestials had evolved from an earlier species in a system nearby the human homeworld, and this region of space is also home of the Whills, powerful energy beings. The Whills are godlike beings capable of having avatars in multiple galaxies simultaneously, including ones in our solar system. They may have influenced evolution to produce humans (and other Earth-like life) in both galaxies. I see the time of the SW films taking place about 12,000 years ago.

So yeah, I've had thoughts about it. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread is looking great.
I love hearing all your thoughts on star wars.

As to human origins in star wars, the "officiaal" is the zell and corellia and all that. I think that the orgins if important should be decided table to table unless a canon comes around.

That being said, i actually see no issues with humans being extremely old a race in SW, and maybe even comming from "our" earth, either in the past being taken by alienes in a large enough number (rakata)
Or that humans branced out and left earth, maybe left a dying earth.
Seeing many near human races many are "said to have developed" from baseline humans into the "new" specis, looking t the "old republic" and that many of the samespecies exixted then, and have had time to develop theit uniqueness, makes think human were around for a very very very long time

I always found earth's place in star wars to be facinatingly vague
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm with Whill. His suggested tie-in to our Earth is clear and well thought out. We're way too intrinsically linked to this world to have any other origin world - or at the very least, we have come from the same panspermic kernel as pretty much anything else on this planet.

With the possible exception of bananas, given one of their mythological origin stories, and maybe the Dogon people interacted with someone though it is likely that there's a causality problem with their apparent advanced knowledge.

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:

Personally, I'm with Whill. His suggested tie-in to our Earth is clear and well thought out. We're way too intrinsically linked to this world to have any other origin world - or at the very least, we have come from the same panspermic kernel as pretty much anything else on this planet.

With the possible exception of bananas, given one of their mythological origin stories, and maybe the Dogon people interacted with someone though it is likely that there's a causality problem with their apparent advanced knowledge.

Lets say and i agree that humans orignated on earth, if Star Wars happens a long time ago and in a galaxy far away, rather than being "just" a fancy way of saying "once upon a time", then where would earth be, or "when", would earth be primitive , would the system even be known?

If Humans came from there it would at east be known in mythoology?
So I find the question intriguing.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Earth did exist in the SWU, it would have to be some sort of weird alternate universe where Star Wars was never conceived of by George Lucas, and never became such a major part of both pop and sci-fi culture.

I'm okay with "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." actually being some alternate dimension of some form of multi-verse. There isn't really a need for the two to overlap.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that we're in the "Mid Rim" region of the Milky Way, how did we get to the Core Worlds?

I'd say it's more consistent to say we're descended from Star Wars explorers who colonized Earth long ago from their home galaxy. Kind of like what they ended up doing with Galactica at the very end, except we're not all Cylons. Well, I'm not anyway. 8)
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If Earth did exist in the SWU, it would have to be some sort of weird alternate universe where Star Wars was never conceived of by George Lucas, and never became such a major part of both pop and sci-fi culture.

I'm okay with "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." actually being some alternate dimension of some form of multi-verse. There isn't really a need for the two to overlap.

It did exist in some of the EU content, but i don't think it ws ever even remotely canonical.

There was some story about han solo crashing the falcon on earth, centuries later indiana jones found the wreck and the bones. Hmmmm they "look alike too"
and I think from memory that in that story Chewie was the real answer to who was bigfoot or something lol.

But I don't think it was more than a very obscure comic stry and it may well have been some form of interdimentional travel.

I could however see that IF earht existed in the Fath sector, then the location do match roughly where we are in the milky way.
Looking through human history and gods with powers of flight and other powers of awesomeness we could argue these to be "aliens" visiting a very primitive earth.
A stone age, or neolitic eath visited by some aliens that took humans as slaves and abducted them could easily fit in with species like the rakata and others.

But I personally like to play around with where humans come from and if not from earth, then when did come there, and how far would it be to the milkyway of that is in fact another galaxy and could it be one of the compainon galaxies that we barely know anyting about.
I can't help but being facinated by that "polt" hole as to where do humans come from, being how numerous they are, and if not from earth then where hehe
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's a crossover of two fictional universes, and the IJ universe predated Star Wars by several decades (early to mid 20th century). Once that happens, you have to start asking exactly which fictional version of Earth you're crossing-over with the SWU, or if you're talking about the actual, real-life Earth.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

There isn't really any need for the two to overlap. This is just a fun mental exercise.

And Lucas could have conceived of Star Wars in the same universe it happened in if he was somehow tapping into memory of it, like a mental connection with a Whill or something he wouldn't consciously be aware of. He could just think he made it up.

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

True, but there are times, i'd love to have a SW game where you only HAD earth based weapons for the rebels to use, against the horde of imperials..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
True, but there are times, i'd love to have a SW game where you only HAD earth based weapons for the rebels to use, against the horde of imperials..

I actually had similar thoughts from time to time.

How would an M1 Abrams do agaist AT's or the like, I wonder what .50BMG would do to stormie armor and the like.
fun fun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: