The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Archive of old D6 fan material
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Archive of old D6 fan material Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Galaxy Guides Reply with quote

Cool, Deano. I had only very minimal interaction with the internet from 1996-2001, and then only very minimal involvement with online Star Wars communities from 2002-2004. It wasn't until 2005 when I dove off the deep end into world wide Star Wars fandom.

For the record, I don't think that it's so much that people were looking for GG13, but the question of its existence would come up in our discussions of fanmade sourcebooks. Way back someone made a Galaxy Guide for the Dark Side of the EU and designated it GG14 out of reverence for this mythical GG13 for Gamblers and Scoundrels that no one had, just in case this fabled GG13 ever turned up. GG15 became AotC, and GG 16 became The Old Republic.

I liked the idea of our film GGs having every odd spot in the series like the official WEG series (1, 3, 5). Being the most vocal skeptic of the mythical GG13's existence, I proposed that we make a GG for TPM and call it GG13, and then the partially completed RotS should become GG17. Then GG 18 would be whatever, and GG19 would be TFA. From that point GGs would be reserved for films only, so the odd GGs would be the episodic films and the even GGs would be the standalone films starting with Rogue One being GG20. I did have a somewhat vested interest in this sequence because I have already printed out GG15, GG14, and the TPM sourcebook renamed as GG13.

Of course my vision for the fanmade GG series is all a pipe dream as long as these GGs are not being made, so the numbering of them is presently moot (and I admit that I haven't done much of anything to help my suggested pattern become established). And a monkey wrench was thrown into my vision when another community (at least I assume they aren't here except for perhaps lurking) made their own GG17 on Cyborgs and Cybernetics. I can't really blame them because our RotS GG has been stalled for many years now (My understanding it mainly still needs character fluff write-ups). And this new GG17 does actually exist, unlike the gamblers and scoundrels GG.

I am just very pleased to see that there was a historical basis for the legendary GG13 that a lot of people hoped would turn up someday. I still have no hope for an actually fully fluffed-out GG from back then to ever turn up, but if it does I will be the first to admit my skepticism was misplaced. And regarding your offer to collaborate with others and make it happen now, that's great. I am no longer holding on to my previously suggested sequence of GGs because whatever the community makes, I know how to edit PDFs and I can rename as I see fit for the purposes of printing them for my bookshelf.

On a somewhat related note, I have plans for someday making a sourcebook that combines and reformats GG6 Tramp Freighters, Platt's Smugglers Guide, Stock Ships and fluffing out the "It's a Gambler's Life" article from Adventure Journal #4 into a player handbook called Gamblers, Tramps & Smugglers. But it won't have much original material and it's not a priority so is probably still a few years off.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for catching me up Whill Very Happy

I've posted a new thread to see if there is any interest in working on it. Cast the net and see what happens

Deano
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the Fates have decided that now is the time for the resurrection of GG13.

While digging through my voluminous SWD6 files looking for something else entirely, I found a folder buried deep at the back of a string of other folders. It was entitled Gamblers & Scoundrels.

In that folder were two files: GG13 and Outline.

GG13 is a mostly incomplete text (all of the first chapter and part of the second), but includes a great deal of Fluff on the matter. In addition, the title page does, in fact, say "Galaxy Guide 13: Gamblers & Scoundrels".

Outline is five pages of notes, some duplicating material found in the GG13 file, but also includes some overlapping material.

And yes, I am somewhat chagrined that I just now found this file, which shows as last modified sometime in September of 2012. As you will see, there isn't a lot of game-usable material to be had. However, when combined with the Scoundrels file provided by deano, it is an additional piece of the puzzle.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It seems the Fates have decided that now is the time for the resurrection of GG13...

And yes, I am somewhat chagrined that I just now found this file, which shows as last modified sometime in September of 2012.

2010... CRMcNeill wrote:
Hello all. My name is Charles. I've been a devotee of the Star Wars D6 RPG since the late 80's... I used to be a regular on the AOL SW-RPG list, until D20 came out and everyone seemed to vanish into thin air.

The main thing that got me interested in this group is the Netbook Galacy Guides and Compilations that have been produced by the forum members. I've downloaded all except Galaxy Guide 14: The Dark Side, and the Unofficial Guide to Phantom Menace (if that's what it's called).

JUNE 2012... CRMcNeill wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
As for GG13, . . . I fear that one has been lost to the sands of time. If it ever DOES show back up, I'd love to get my hands on it!

I've got a copy, but I can't remember where I got it from. I also have GG14: The Dark Side.
Guardian_A wrote:
crmcneill was kind enough to send me two files last night. Both of them can be found by either following the links posted below, or by following the link in my signature.

Star Wars Episode I Sourcebook:
http://www.4shared.com/file/Rb2-U0Q1/Star_Wars_Episode_I_Sourcebook.html

Galaxy Guide 14 The Dark Side:
http://www.4shared.com/office/nhBKynea/Galaxy_Guide_14_-_The_Dark_Sid.html
CRMcNeill wrote:
KageRyu wrote:
Oh, I misunderstood, I had thought one of the books was the GG13.
Ceste' La Vive

The site I originally downloaded it from had it listed as GG13; that is the likely source of the confusion.
cheshire wrote:
Sad

And here I thought we'd found the Holy Grail.
CRMcNeill wrote:
Hey, at least I didn't tell you I had a copy of the X-Wing Sourcebook.

You had it all along and it was last modified months after this 2012 conversation. I just have to laugh now. Laughing

CRMcNeill wrote:
However, when combined with the Scoundrels file provided by deano, it is an additional piece of the puzzle.

OK, I further concede that these three documents form the historical basis behind the mythical GG13. I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. But the mystery continues because we still don't have an author's name for these documents.

I still maintain skepticism that GG13 will ever show up in completed form or any other parts beyond these three components. (Hey, maybe me expressing skepticism is what's causing the universe to bringing it out of hiding, to prove me wrong. 8) )
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You had it all along and it was last modified months after this 2012 conversation. I just have to laugh now. Laughing

I'm almost certain that the 9/12 date was when I first downloaded it. I vaguely remember finding it rather uninspiring, since it was basically all fluff, so I moved it to the its new location and left it to gather dust.

Quote:
OK, I further concede that these three documents form the historical basis behind the mythical GG13. I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. But the mystery continues because we still don't have an author's name for these documents.

I still maintain skepticism that GG13 will ever show up in completed form or any other parts beyond these three components. (Hey, maybe me expressing skepticism is what's causing the universe to bringing it out of hiding, to prove me wrong. 8) )

It does seem oddly fortuitous, though. For instance, imagine if I had brought the files to the Pit 4 years ago. It would likely have been assumed that there was nothing more, and Cheshire would've never asked the question for deano to answer...

deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It seems the Fates have decided that now is the time for the resurrection of GG13.

While digging through my voluminous SWD6 files looking for something else entirely, I found a folder buried deep at the back of a string of other folders. It was entitled Gamblers & Scoundrels.

In that folder were two files: GG13 and Outline.

GG13 is a mostly incomplete text (all of the first chapter and part of the second), but includes a great deal of Fluff on the matter. In addition, the title page does, in fact, say "Galaxy Guide 13: Gamblers & Scoundrels".

Outline is five pages of notes, some duplicating material found in the GG13 file, but also includes some overlapping material.

And yes, I am somewhat chagrined that I just now found this file, which shows as last modified sometime in September of 2012. As you will see, there isn't a lot of game-usable material to be had. However, when combined with the Scoundrels file provided by deano, it is an additional piece of the puzzle.

Interesting find. According to the properties of your file the author is Johnathan Pritchett, unless that's your real name of course. The Scoundrel document's author is Sam Coulson. Those names mean anything to anyone? Sam sounds familiar to me...

There seems to be little interesting in progressing this GG unfortunately. So we'll see if this takes off at some point

Deano
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deano wrote:
Interesting find. According to the properties of your file the author is Johnathan Pritchett, unless that's your real name of course.

Nope, not me. Of course, back in the days of the AOL mailing list, very few of us used our real names.

Quote:
There seems to be little interesting in progressing this GG unfortunately. So we'll see if this takes off at some point

Many of the current fan-made sourcebooks being produced are coming out of the Google+ Star Wars D6 Community. You could try posting over there, as well, to see if it piques more interest...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deano wrote:
Interesting find. According to the properties of your file the author is Johnathan Pritchett, unless that's your real name of course. The Scoundrel document's author is Sam Coulson. Those names mean anything to anyone? Sam sounds familiar to me...

I just made the connection that there is a Johnathan Pritchett over on the G+ community. I have some feelers out to him to see if this is his document.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm physically watching the pages of history roll back to reveal ancient hidden treasure.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
I feel like I'm physically watching the pages of history roll back to reveal ancient hidden treasure.

Spoke with Johnathan via Facebook, and he has confirmed that he was part of the group that started work on GG13, but that the effort never really got off the ground.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went looking for my copy of the Scoundrel's document today, and I looks like I never downloaded it. Also, the link earlier in the thread is a 404. Would anyone mind reposting it?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.

Let me know if you have any problems.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Here you go.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks a bunch for the file, that's fantastic.

I still do have some problems, but they're pretty much personal problems. Thanks, though. Smile Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info from Johnathan. He is a member of the Pit, under the handle of Trusty. I checked some of his message history, and it looks like I got the two files I had from him; the conversation occurred in September 2012.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Thanks a bunch for the file, that's fantastic.

No problem. shootingwomprats is still working on the project, but Daniel is pretty much going it alone at the moment. I'm sure any offers of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: