The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi during the Rebellion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Jedi during the Rebellion? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on that Akari. For one, whats the fun in a game if you don't have a chance at all of succeeding. I know I would not want to play. I also don't like playing in a game when I don't have a chance to fail too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
In my opinion thats a very poor way to go... There are definately Jedi that survived both the clone wars and the purge (Ikrit for instance) and why shouldnt a player character do the same? Being destined to die makes for such a nasty outlook...

For me, Star Wars was and always has been a fun and action-packed game system that lives by the story of the underdog coming through against improbable odds. Why quench that? While its true that Jedi characters have a rather high chance of perishing, chances should be there they can make it. Let your players feel they accomplished something incredible! Its worth it.

I see what you are saying. Perhaps I should refraise.

I'll let them know survival is next to impossible. Few to almost no Jedi survived the purge and survived up to A New Hope or beyond. So any Jedi playing in that era would have a next to impossible task of surviving.

And boy would I make it difficult. But not impossible.

I rarely if ever have played in that era, and only one or two people have even bothered to try being a Jedi during that time. They were killed due to bad die rolls pretty quickly and I never did it again.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thats a little less severe then what I originally thought. Jedis can become incredibly powerful and should be restricted to the full extend of the rules. As mentioned before I do play one myself in a campaign and its a lot of fun. A young Padawan that is, without a current master and about 2 dice in all force skills and no lightsaber of course. Pretty much everybody else is far more useful in conflicts, but I manage to come up with some good plans now and then and its been a lot of fun and quite a challenge to play her.

Even some of her teammembers don't know about her powers, and I would think (hope?) they are still beyond what the emperor would sense, so I still have some hope for her survival. Wink
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as your Jedi doesn't do anything obvious ("Hey, Vader! I'm a Jedi!") and steers clear of the occasional High Inquisitor, Sith Lord, or Emperor, you should be ok.

Low-intensity Force use is the key. Don't do anything flashy or power-intensive, or if you do, make certain you're far from anyone likely to pick it up.
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am listening to the book Dark Lord - Rise of Darth Vader. In it it has where there are like 5 or 6 jedi that are together and survive the end of the story. It seems The Emporer and Vader can care less at the end of the story.

It is a good story.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with arch-villains and arrogance? It gets them every time. Wink

I agree. It was a good story. Gave a little closure to the Anakin / Vader transformation.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that whole trilogy is good; I need to read it sometime soon.

Anyway, as for Jedi during the Rebellion, I'm playing one in each of two different games right now; one about a year after EPI III, and one about six months after EPI III.

The one further into the timeline is only 15 years old, has managed to be assigned to the crew of DuCass' Dream, and has been adventuring with them. One of the other newer members is a Besalisk Jedi.

Currently, the crew is in Imperial custody. Some of us were accosted on Tattooine by one of Palpatine's dark Jedi, although we don't yet know all the details about him. I imagine he was originally tracking Bandon, but my character is the one who ended up fighting him, until Qassar flew in and saved our butts. Up till that point, no one in the crew knew I was a Padawan; I'd been using the Force mainly to help me make important rolls, but nothing flashy. Even Bandon hadn't detected my Force use until we were on Tatooine.

Now, we're awaiting the arrival of Lord Vader himself, who's very interested in meeting the both of us.

This is gonna SUCK if we can't escape... Crying or Very sad
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thought: weren't jedi almost utterly wiped out by Vader immediatly after Palpatine rise to the throne?
Weren't (according to the "official timeline" Yoda and Ben the only two Jedi survived?

I'd like to know how you dealt with this sort of "purist" issue (not that i'm a purist, but some of my players could easyly rise this issue...)
Ras
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader might hape wiped out MOST of the Jedi, but surely a few of them slipped through the cracks. They have been popping backup in the EU for years.... One year after Order 66, it's quite feasible that Skyler's Jedi might still be alive and kicking (though obviously not for long). Further down the line, Jedi become a rare species indeed, with Yoda and Ben the only prominent ones.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry's right. My character could very well survive, but in "canon" terms would have to eventually make his way out to the Rim Territories or something, well out of the mainstream, simply because every Jedi character that is played during the Rebellion Era is a potential paradox to the main story line.

But there were plenty of Jedi descendants who survived, whether by lack of training, lack of accessibility, or even having turned to the dark side for a time. Otherwise there would have been no one to be the first class of Luke's Jedi Praxeum.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this sounds sensible, even if (as long as it concerns the Jedi Praxeum pupils) it might be possible that new individuals strong in the Force might pop up from unexpected directions (i.e. families never before touched by the Jedy carreer: just think how Anakin was found....)...
Ras
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, too many of these /new\ jedi popping out of the woodwork kind of gives some of us a bad taste, as it makes those who worked to get their 'jedi hood' seem less important.
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on this is that you should start a charater out as if he has no training and has kind of figured out how to float wrenches to himself that our just out of reach and what not. Nothing too tough.

I would have a problem with the GM letting someone bring a full fledged Jedi in unless it was before RoTS.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_rockdawg wrote:
My opinion on this is that you should start a charater out as if he has no training and has kind of figured out how to float wrenches to himself that our just out of reach and what not. Nothing too tough.

Just like Silent Bob did to the video tape in Mallrats 8)

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

Snooky Boochy!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: