The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi during the Rebellion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Jedi during the Rebellion? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Jedi during the Rebellion? Reply with quote

Okay, I just started running a rebellion game. I've also saw RotS and when they turned off the message that told Jedi to return and replaced it with a message that warned them off it gave me an idea.

It's not exactly canon but what if...

1. More Jedi escaped, the ones that got together got hunted down and eventually they didn't make contact with each other anymore.

2. The Rebellion starts up a bit more and eventually blows up the Death Star. This does two things, it gives all the hidden Jedi a central point to make contact with and it means Vader is busy crushing the rebellion instead of hunting down Jedi.

3. The find out about Luke (apparently Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't bother giving him a different last name) and who his father is. Just in case he gets turned they don't make themselves known to him. (this keeps the movies accurate mostly).

Is this a stupid idea? Are there any books that talk about other Jedi during the rebellion?

Also, do the Hammerhead priests know the force? They seem very mystic in their worship of mother jungle.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the remaining jedi would know Anakin turned into Darth Vader. The most they would know is that Anakin died in Mustaphar, dueling OB1, and that's already too much. Most would think he died in the purge. And later this bad mo-fo Darth Vader popped up and started hunting the remaining Jedi.
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed he was the "hero" who wiped out the Jedi "plotters" and would have been known as a hero to people (at first).

While they may not know he turned into Vader I thought they'd at least know he killed Jedi.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the official story is probably that Anakin Skywalker was the only Jedi to remain loyal do Palpatine, and helped him fend off the initial Jedi revolt. However, when noble anakin had just put an end to the spearatist threat, he was viciously killed by the treacherous Obi-Wan Kenobi (his former master). In comes the mysterious Darth Vader, who finished off the Jedi. I doubt Vader's origins were ever explained to the public...
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

Do other Jedi exist in any other books? What good sources of Jedi power would there be? I'm looking for excuses to introduce jedi powers to the players.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are sure a handful of Jedi in hiding during the Rebellion. Some of them even quite powerful, such as Vima-da-Boda. A player can certainly stumble upon one, though it should be a risky and difficult adventure. And then there are always lots Jedi Holocrons, which act as masters. But again, the finding of such an object should be an heroic task.
DS-61-4
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this information available? (On Jedi (dark&Light) in the rebellion era)
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere in particular that I can think of. You can only gather the bits and pieces of info we get from various sources and build the big picture from it.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even during the Glactic Civil War when what has been considered to be the Jedi Purge is supposed to be over there are still going to be Jedi popping up and being killed off unless they can be turned and become servants of the Empire. As Gry said, by this time there are only a handful of Jedi left. Their going to be in hiding, doing what they can to keep from being discovered. You've got Obi-Wan and Yoda of course since we're introduced to them in the OT.

Beyond them, there is the Dark Woman (her real name is An'ya Kuro which she decided to give up because as she told Master Tholme on Devaron "a Jedi should have no possesions, not even a name") the Jedi Master to whom Aurra Sing was apprenticed as a Padawan before eventually becoming a Jedi hunting bounty hunter. The Dark Woman was more successful with Jedi Master A'Sharad Hett. She died shortly before the Battle of Yavin on the fifth planet in the Cophrigin system at Vader's hands. Yet she apparently knew that Vader was Anakin.

There is also the aforemention Vima-da-boda, though Vima had already gone into self-imposed exile long before the Clone Wars and Anakin becomeing Darth Vader, allowing her powers to atrophy to the point of almost loosing them entirely. She'll return after the end of the Galactic Civil War as a Jedi, but during it she can be found on Nar Shaddaa as kind of a beggar who acts as a fortune teller to make a living. At some point she also spends some time incarcerated on Kessel, though she eventually makes her way back to Nar Shaddaa. She's well into her hundreds.

Empatojayos Brand is another Jedi still alive during the Galactic Civil War. During the Purge he was nearly killed by Vader and lost most of his flesh. He was rescued by the Ganathans who eventually made him their king. What's left of him is encased in a prosthetic machine equipped with repulsorlifts for propulsion. The Ganath System is located in an intergalatic gascloud near Nar Shaddaa system and is incredibly backward compared to the rest of the galaxy due to it's isolation within the gas cloud. It's not until six years after the Battle of Endor that Brand lays eyes on a Jedi once more, and then he tells them that he had feared Vader had wiped out all the Jedi. He naturally is not aware that Vader is dead.

Somewhere in the outer rim is Corwin Shelvay, the last padawan of Jedi Master Darrin Arkanian. Shelvay may be a little easier to find if characters are with the Alliance as he became a rebel operative. However, he is being pursued by Imperial High Injusitor Tremayne, the Dark Jedi who killed his Master. Shelvay ruined Tremayne's face in one of their last encounters (the one in which Master Arkanian died) and Tremayne wants him.

Wanted Poster
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Spiced pork and ham Reply with quote

I keep it that way, that in the beginning - shortly after EpIII - there were still quite a few jedi fighting the empire from safe harbours, which of course got fewer and fewer with every military success of the empire.

In my campaign, which is set an undefined time past III but long before the battlle of Yavin, there are those dark inquisitors running around. Most of them where unexperieced jedi or even padawan, who could be turned to the dark side. They use their force skills to find remaining jedi and if one of them gets killed, a high inquisitor will sense that or simply see that one of his minions doesn't come home and will investigate himself.

I don't know if it's canon, but it helps me keep some jedi mystery AND a young empire in the game. By the time Episode IV continues he story, most of the jedi - light or dark - will be dead. As we have seen with Maul and Tyranus, Sith masters aren't very sentimental about their apprentices. Maybe Vader was challenged a few times and eventually killed all the high inquisitors and lots of the lower ones, too. Maybe some are still plotting revenge at some remote system, but they don't get back at Vader because Luke Skywalker takes the price. In my campaign, Obiwan and Yoda will certainly be the most powerful Jedi still around, but I would love the tension of a PC Jedi apprentice see his master, who taught him some basics, get sliced up by some gloomy inquisitor. Later he might find another master who trains him some other powers, just before the bad guy strikes again. In the end, the jedi might find out, that he is secretly being used by the inquisitor to bait hiding jedis out of their desert caves, so he can hunt them down. Maybe I should stop writing now!

>-q=p---
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 30-40 WEG books and I don't recall ever reading anyting in them about (light) Jedi specifically who managed to escape the Emperor's purge. Hellcat mentioned some characters that I hadn't heard of before.. I'd like to know which books those characters are from. (Other than Vima, of course).

Also, as far as dark Jedi go, there was also Joruus C'Baoth (from the Timothy Zahn material) who was alive during the Rebellion era... and don't forget Mara Jade.

Which brings me to say that there had to have been people strong in the force emerging now and then during the Rebellion era. It appears that Mara was one of those people, it's just that the Emperor took her when she was a child. There very well could be other "young Jedi" emerging during the early years of the Rebellion, which is how you are supposed to explain player-character Jedi. I think they intentionally avoided introducing Jedi during this era because of the events in Eps. IV-VI. Luke was presented (in a way) to be the last Jedi. Just do what I do in my campaignes... make your own Jedi who escaped the Emperor's purge.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Woman appears in numerous comics within the rather large Republic series by Dark Horse. Her real name was given in Jedi: Aayla Secura and her death, mentioned in the New Essential Guide to Characters, was told in the two part story Extinction from Dark Horse's Tales series. A full grown Mara Jade appears in Extinction. It is the New Essential Guide to Characters which reveals the events of this story occur shortly before the Battle of Yavin.

Empatojayos Brand appears first in Dark Empire II where he reveals to Han, Leia, and Vima how he survived nearly being killed by Vader. Slightly rusty, he takes some refresher courses from Luke as well as helping him with teaching the Ysanna Jedi trainees Jem and Rayf. He dies at the very end of Empire's End.

Corwin Shevlay's story is told in WEG's Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim. His encounter with Tremayne (Imperial High Injusitor and a Dark Jedi himself) and the death of his Jedi Master can be found in the Star Wars Galaxy Magazine RPG short story Dark Vendetta.

Another Jedi to survive the Jedi Purge was Qu Rahn, who died a year after the Battle of Endor. Rahn plays a role in the game Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II and would also appear at the very least in the book Dark Forces: Jedi Knight if not also appearing in the book Dark Forces: Rebel Agent. He is also mentioned in the entries of Jerec (a Jedi Knight during the Clone Wars who turned Dark Jedi when faced by Tremayne and the Empire) and Kyle Katarn in the New Essential Guide to Characters. Jerec is the one who killed Rahn.

Another light sider would be Keyan Farlander, who appears in the Game X-wing (you play as him), the novella The Farlander Papaers, the X-wing Strategy Guide, and most recently in the New Jedi Order novel series. Farlander learned of his Force-sensitivity before the Battle of Yavin, but he would not recieve any real training until trained by Luke Skywalker.

Kam Solusar would also be running about at this time as a light sider, though he was still a Jedi Padawan when he went into hiding. Kam appears in Dark Empire II, Empire's End, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, Dark Saber, Union, and the New Jedi Order among other sources.

Another former Padawan at this time is Hal Horn, who was born Valin Halcyon. Hal's stepfather changed his name during the Purge to hide his identity. He appears in the four part short story Side Trip from Tales of the Empire and the four part short story Interlude at Darknell from Tales of the New Republic. Hal's biological father, and Jedi Master, was Jedi Master Nejaa Halcyon.

Wanted Poster
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, Hellcat! I thought I was well-polished on my Star Wars lore. You put my knowledge to shame. Remind me to never challenge you to a round of Star Wars trivia!
Shocked
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I can be tripped up on trivia. But I do know a good deal.

Wanted Poster
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Star Trek - Is Data a pervert? Reply with quote

One thing, that at least seems to give some substance to surviving Jedi in the official universe, is how Princess Leia describes General Kenobi as their "last hope".

Let's slip into the head of Bail Organa for a moment - he knows how dangerous his knowledge about Kenobi and Skywalker jr. is and that he might ruin the chance of a lifetime, yet he sends his daughter (or at least recommends her to go) to Tatooine to reactivate Kenobi as a fighter for their cause. Maybe the last surviving Jedi just got fried by Vader, died for the Death Star plans or died of old age?

>-q=p---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: