The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Killing a Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Killing a Jedi Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Since we've progressed from the impractical to the completely absurd, I recommend stealing the Jedi Master's character sheet from the GM and setting it on fire.

Ah, but at that point, it no longer has stats, and cannot be killed. Wink
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Since we've progressed from the impractical to the completely absurd, I recommend stealing the Jedi Master's character sheet from the GM and setting it on fire.

Ah, but at that point, it no longer has stats, and cannot be killed. Wink

If a character no longer has stats, did it ever really exist though? If you follow the Games Workshop theory, then no (see Squats).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A character without stats has become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasers would also be effective...or some kind of lightning gun....maybe a high pitch sonic thing - anything to keep the jedi from being able to focus enough to use the force really....then all you have to do is pop them from an angle not covered by their saber.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot a wide spray Ion cannon to knock OUT the lightsaber, then just overload them with stun and kill blaster bolts!
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... To extrapolate further, how about a confetti gun with phrik or cortosis particles? Stun gas that one can get immunized against, and that is absorbed on skin contact? Gravity plates that can be pushed up to 8-10 G and ultrasonic confusion generators, perhaps coupled with flashing lights? Room filled with flammable gas, and kids in the corner? (Ignite light saber equals conflagration.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done ignitable chemicals before (pouches of gunpowder)... Toss a few other things at the jedi and they just get into the mentality "my saber's out, i will block it rather than dodge'.. Then toss a pouch of gunpowder, so when the powder hits the blade it flash ignites in their face!
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Chiss weapon called a Charric, which fires an unusual sort of particle beam which is notable for lightsabers blades not being able to deflect it. In fact, it apparently interacts in such a way as to generate a good deal of kinetic energy, to the extent that they've been known to disarm someone attempting to block shots with a lightsaber.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
tasers would also be effective...or some kind of lightning gun....maybe a high pitch sonic thing - anything to keep the jedi from being able to focus enough to use the force really....then all you have to do is pop them from an angle not covered by their saber.

Absorb/Dissipate Energy, Resist Stun.

You are also presupposing that the Jedi will stand and fight. If I were running that PC, and Danger Sense told me all this stuff was coming at me, I'd go for the tactical retreat. Get mobile and force the multiple attackers to break up and search for you, potentially breaking up into groups small enough to handle. If the group sticks together, then all the Jedi has to do is not be where they are.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've done ignitable chemicals before (pouches of gunpowder)... Toss a few other things at the jedi and they just get into the mentality "my saber's out, i will block it rather than dodge'.. Then toss a pouch of gunpowder, so when the powder hits the blade it flash ignites in their face!

How do you explain that the Force can tell a Jedi exactly where to put his lightsaber so as to deflect a blaster bolt, but can't tell him that parrying that harmless looking pouch with a lightsaber is a bad idea?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
There's a Chiss weapon called a Charric, which fires an unusual sort of particle beam which is notable for lightsabers blades not being able to deflect it. In fact, it apparently interacts in such a way as to generate a good deal of kinetic energy, to the extent that they've been known to disarm someone attempting to block shots with a lightsaber.

What is your reference here? The only weapon I recall Jedi not being able to parry (at least in the EU) was Ssi-ruuvi stun beams, which the lightsaber could bend to a slightly different angle, but could not parry. Isn't there a scene in VOTF where Luke broke Mara out of the Hand of Thrawn throne room, using his lightsaber to parry charric shots...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

How do you explain that the Force can tell a Jedi exactly where to put his lightsaber so as to deflect a blaster bolt, but can't tell him that parrying that harmless looking pouch with a lightsaber is a bad idea?

Cause the force doesn't tell him WHATs coming, just that danger is going to be coming.. You seem to think DS is like Supra duper precognition, in it tells you What danger, when, how, where and from Who..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what about the feasibility of a weapon that disrupted the lightsaber itself? Something that, upon contact with the blade, would disrupt how the weapon functioned for a brief period, opening up the Jedi's defenses?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Cause the force doesn't tell him WHATs coming, just that danger is going to be coming..

It's more accurate to say "WEG says the force doesn't tell him what's coming." You seem to believe that the perception of danger is entirely based on external appearances (i.e. if something looks harmless, the Force doesn't see the danger). I believe the films had something to say about this:
Quote:
Obi-Wan: "Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them.

Since the Force is not limited to information obtained by visual senses, and is actually far more accurate and trustworthy than those senses, why is it that the warning information provided by the Force would be limited solely to what something looks like, rather than what it actually is. Even if the Force only partially controls your actions, even if the Force doesn't inform the Jedi exactly what the danger is, it is reasonable to assume that a Force that provides sufficient perception to swat blaster bolts out of the air will also provide at least a basic warning that swatting that harmless-looking sack out of the air is probably a bad idea.

Quote:
You seem to think DS is like Supra duper precognition, in it tells you What danger, when, how, where and from Who..

The power in question here is Lightsaber Combat, not Danger Sense. However, since you brought it up, I do believe Danger Sense should provide all of those things if the character rolls high enough. But let's consider the RAW of Danger Sense for a moment. It has a base difficulty of Moderate, and provides the following effect:
Quote:
When this power is used, the Jedi detects any attacks the round before they are made. This gives the Jedi a round to decide how to react to the danger. In game terms, if any character is going to attack a Jedi on the next round, they must declare their action the round before it happens. Characters who are going to attack the Jedi may roll their control skill to increase the difficulty of using the power.

So, based on the RAW, we have the following:
    What: "All Attacks"
    When: "The round before they are made"
    How: "All Attacks"
    Where: "All Attacks"
    Who: "All Attacks"

And all of this at a Difficulty of only 15.

Why are you getting so worked up over something the RAW already does?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: