The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Take Me Out, To The Black
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Take Me Out, To The Black
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Take Me Out, To The Black Reply with quote

So, an idea I played with on the way to work. I started thinking about how big the galaxy is, and about First Contact scenarios in the Star Wars Universe... things like that surely happen, but it's not quite the focus that it is in the Other Star-Based Franchise. Wink

And, because my mind wanders, I pictured a stock freighter and its crew getting accidentally dumped into the 'Verse from Firefly. Hyperdrive is damaged, possibly repairable, hyperradio spotty at best... but they've got a cargo hold of something worth selling (if they're willing to piss off their employer) and a small system to exploit. They've still got Space speed, incidentally... they're not stuck on a single planet, just can't get out of the small cluster they're in.

How would you see that going? Obvious things the SW crew brings in is easy blaster weapons, and possibly an understanding of the Force (given that young Jedi seem to be very prevalent, even in the Imperial era)... and the potential for FTL travel, once they get the hyperdrive repaired.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They bring the knowledge that something is possible.

For instance, the 'Verse doesn't really have AI, or droids. Droids is pretty ubiquitous in Star Wars. But the mere knowledge that they are possible, can be enough to nudge development in that direction.

By the same token, Hyperspace travel is possible - and there even is such a thing as Hyperspace, and all that. And for repulsorlift, and the derived technology from that as well. Further, the fuel and propulsion technology from Star Wars seems to be much more efficient than in the 'Verse - a Firefly-class vessel had something like a maximum range of 750 AU, 120 AU if filled to the brim with cargo, and a cargo capacity of about 150 metric tons.

However, the 'Verse is more densely populated than the Star Wars universe. One of the systems in the 'Verse represents billions of sentients - an unheard of population density except for the very most developed systems in Star Wars - Kuat, Corellia, Coruscant. Though Coruscant is possibly cheating, as it is an ecumenopolis (as is Denon).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversely, does the Verse really have anything to offer the rest of the Galaxy?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have the issue with aliens.. IIRC firefly's universe seemed rather humanocentric. Little to any alien presence..
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A star wars light freighter in the 'Verse would have the potential to create a techno shock of epic proportions. Lets start with the shock that there are aliens in the galaxy and that those in the 'Verse are not alone. Blaster weapons, advanced body armor, fast ion drives, faster than light drives, energy shields, AI, anyone one of these alone could cause an entire cascade of massively intense political and economic shake ups.

More so the Alliance being the dominating force within the 'Verse might not take too kindly to learning that there are other more powerful entities in the galaxy and may try to suppress first contact or worst for the players try and erase it. They could try to take their ship and technology for their own. Should the Alliance gain Star Wars tech and reverse engineer it, they might start invasions of adjacent star systems or clusters. Depending how far out on the rim they are, they could end up with a small empire of their own before anyone in the galactic core notices.

Cascades like the one suggested above is one of the reasons the other star-based franchise had the P directive that was the cornerstone of so many episodes of said franchise.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer to apply Firefly / Serenity concepts to the SWU.

-Convert the Firefly main drives into hyperdrive.

-The Alliance = The Empire

-Browncoats = Former Separatists

-Border Moons = Outer Rim / Wild Space

-Core Worlds = Core Worlds

-River = Secret Imperial test subject in project to artificially induce Force Sensitivity and/or anti-Jedi assassins.

-Reavers = Terra forming project gone wrong / failed super-soldier project.

It's practically impossible to resolve the differences between two separate sci-fi universes; better to pick the primary universe and shape the crossover to fit it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusharn wrote:
A star wars light freighter in the 'Verse would have the potential to create a techno shock of epic proportions. Lets start with the shock that there are aliens in the galaxy and that those in the 'Verse are not alone. Blaster weapons, advanced body armor, fast ion drives, faster than light drives, energy shields, AI, anyone one of these alone could cause an entire cascade of massively intense political and economic shake ups.

Not to mention the social and religious implications and upheaval..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Personally, I prefer to apply Firefly / Serenity concepts to the SWU.

-Convert the Firefly main drives into hyperdrive.

-The Alliance = The Empire

-Browncoats = Former Separatists

-Border Moons = Outer Rim / Wild Space

-Core Worlds = Core Worlds

-River = Secret Imperial test subject in project to artificially induce Force Sensitivity and/or anti-Jedi assassins.

-Reavers = Terra forming project gone wrong / failed super-soldier project.

It's practically impossible to resolve the differences between two separate sci-fi universes; better to pick the primary universe and shape the crossover to fit it.

I agree, I'd do it this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: