The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Slavery in the Empire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Slavery in the Empire Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

Has anyone got some references to the way the Empire regulated slavery?

I know that the Empire allowed the slavery of certain species, typically non-human types.

What signified that a being was someone's property?

Was there anything to signify that a non-human was indeed a free person?

If a being was a slave could they be made free and what would show that?

Under what circumstances could a free person be made a slave in a legal manner?

Slaves who escaped custody; was it law enforcements responsibility to return them, or were bounty hunters relied on exclusively? Did the Empire have a slave-catcher's branch?

If a slave eluded capture for a time, could they earn their freedom?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

I know that the Empire allowed the slavery of certain species, typically non-human types.

Slaves who escaped custody; was it law enforcements responsibility to return them, or were bounty hunters relied on exclusively? Did the Empire have a slave-catcher's branch?

Some of these questions are addressed by the Slavery articles on Wookieepedia. Have you seen those?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Some of these questions are addressed by the Slavery articles on Wookieepedia. Have you seen those?

Yes, very sparse.

The problem is that it can only report what is 'canon' or EU...which is....sparse.

I'm looking to see if anyone here has developed something for their own game that I could use....before I work out the whole thing myself.

EDIT:
Barring any suggestions, I'll probably just work off the Roman standard as a base.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Officially, i know of nothing. There are heavy suggestions in some novels though, to slave papers..

Dredwulf60 wrote:

More than likely paperwork. How easily forged though, i don't know. Also whether it was actual paperwork, or something on a datapad, is up in the air.

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Again most likely paperwork.

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Their 'owner' could probably make a public declaration of 'free status' and give them some paperwork. Might take a good bureaucracy roll and some coin/time to do..

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Debts. Certain crimes...

Dredwulf60 wrote:

LE imo. Bounty hunters are more for criminals not escaped slaves.

Dredwulf60 wrote:

IMO no.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what about this;

A person kidnaps someone and takes them away from their home. Can they then submit an application to the imperial bureaucracy to make them a slave and then sell them?

What if the kidnapped person was a Twi'lek vs a human?

What if the kidnapped person was a wookiee?

Looking at the Roman model, most slaves were secured by military conquest. The military conquered a village or region and then turned over the personnel to professional slave traders who paid directly to the government to help fund the military incursion.

The slaves were then brought back and sold to the civilian populace. Of course the government kept a cadre of government slaves for public works, though I see the empire using more droids for this.

Slaves worked mines, on the behalf of the government, which were industrial at the time; it would be the same as slaves working on a large project such as the Death Star.

So what I'm getting at; is it seems that even with Slavery sanctioned by the Empire, there could still be illegal versions of it. Like kidnapping conversion to slavery.

Does that make sense?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where legal, slaves would most likely enter the market through debt, capture, or birth. Get too deep in debt, and you sell yourself (or your children) into slavery. Get captured (perhaps in a military action, perhaps in a pirate action), and you get sold into slavery. Or, you get born into slavery.

When illegal, slavery is most often going to happen via birth or capture (either pirate or kidnapping).

The trick is when slavery is quasi-legal... capture someone in a regular world, take them to the Rim and sell them into slavery. They come back into space where it would be illegal to sell that person as a slave... but who's to say that the slave protesting that they were illegally captured is telling the truth?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Well what about this;

A person kidnaps someone and takes them away from their home. Can they then submit an application to the imperial bureaucracy to make them a slave and then sell them?

Sure he can go there. BUT then the imps arrest his stupid but for kidnapping!!

Dredwulf60 wrote:
What if the kidnapped person was a Twi'lek vs a human?

What if the kidnapped person was a wookiee?

Some races (especially non humans) they might not be so legalistic on..

Dredwulf60 wrote:

So what I'm getting at; is it seems that even with Slavery sanctioned by the Empire, there could still be illegal versions of it. Like kidnapping conversion to slavery.

Does that make sense?

I agree. Some slavery - bad. other forms - good.. Well to the empire!
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

didn't Anakin have something like a RFID chip that had to get removed?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

didn't Anakin have something like a RFID chip that had to get removed?

Yes, that was mentioned.

I was mostly concerned with what differentiated slaves from non-slaves. Especially of a species that the Empire considers a slave species...ie wookiees.

Does the Empire view every wookiee has property that has to belong to someone, or are there 'free wookiees' and how does one know by first glance?

If it's got a chain or binders...I guess that's a safe assumption.

On the other hand, in the Empire, humans enjoy the apex of control, so it can be assumed that most humans are NOT slaves, so how can one recognize one who is?

ie in Rome, freed slaves were given caps to wear as a symbol of their freedom.

As Garhkal points out, the only practical way in SW is through records and documents. Just another reason for Stormtroopers to demand everyone's documents.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

As Garhkal points out, the only practical way in SW is through records and documents. Just another reason for Stormtroopers to demand everyone's documents.

Though something like implantable chips would do this... a scanner can tell quickly.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Though something like implantable chips would do this... a scanner can tell quickly.

Great point.

Signals automatically when passing through planetary customs for instance.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Chiips though could be removed by competent medics (heck poss even just with first aid.

I much prefer branding!! Bar "T" anyone?! Laughing
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Chiips though could be removed by competent medics (heck poss even just with first aid.

I much prefer branding!! Bar "T" anyone?! Laughing

Which is why you smear them with a tiny bit of detonite and set them to go off if tampered with.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Slavery in the Empire Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Yeah, it doesn't bother me that they can be removed, though anti-tampering systems are possible. It's more like I feel there should be something to easily alert the authorities that the person is a legal slave.

Like....a brand....but sci-fi-er than that.

It changes the way that they get treated; sets them apart from 'free citizens'.

The datapad based documentation etc is a follow-up for more detailed investigation as warranted.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason this is all pertinent at the moment, is that my players are planning on hitting a slave trader and freeing his stock, then taking them away to safety.

I figured it would take a bit more than just not being in the presence of the slaver to turn them from born or captured slaves into free persons in the eyes of the Empire.

Technically, if they pull it off, the players will be in possession of many thousands of credits worth of stolen property in the eyes of the authorities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: