The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Vehicle Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Vehicle Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artillery Weapons of the Empire
The Empire, while using weapons in the same general classification as the Alliance, has access to newer, more capable versions of the same weapon classes. These weapons are far more common in Imperial service, since the Empire has so many assets it must protect. However, the Empire faces different defensive challenges in that, while their weapons present a formidable obstacle against frontal assault, their primary enemy (the Rebel Alliance) rarely engages in conventional frontal attacks, if at all. As such, Imperial static defenses are often forced to deal with unconventional assaults, including sabotage and the like. In fact, many Imperial artillery defenses often see little action at all, as the Alliance's policy in an insurgent war is to hit the enemy where they are weak. As such, most attacks against Imperial units occur outside of the supporting reach of emplaced artillery, if at all possible.

Designer's Note: Of these weapons, the Tri-Tracker and the Leveler are both found in the Artillery chapter of the ImpSB. The other three are listed in the write-up of Fortress Keremark (pgs. 61-68 of Hideouts & Strongholds). They match the general classification of the older weapons used by the Alliance (anti-infantry, light & heavy anti-vehicle), but have better stats (higher Body, FC, Damage, etc). As such, I decided to co-opt them as being front-line military hardware for the Empire, not just for this one Fortress.

Bear in mind that, in more remote areas, the Empire will still be using the same outdated hardware as the Alliance.

Light Anti-Vehicle Laser Cannon

Model: Atgar 2.2 FD V-Tower
Type: Light Anti-Vehicle Laser Cannon
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Skill: Blaster Artillery: P-Tower
Crew: 4 (2 @ +10)
Ammo: Unlimited (Power Generator)
Cost: 15,000 (new), 8,000 (used)
Availability: 2, R or X
Body: 3D+1
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
-Atmosphere: 100m-500m/2km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 4D

Anti-Infantry Blaster Cannon

Model: Golan Arms' DFA 998
Type: Anti-Infantry Blaster Cannon
Skill: Blaster Artillery: DFA 998
Crew: 3 (1 @ +10)
Cost: 20,000 (new), 10,000 (used)
Body: 3D+1
Fire Control: 4D
Range:
-Atmosphere: 200m-600m/1.2km/2km
Rate of Fire: 3D Auto-Fire
Damage: 4D

Heavy Anti-Vehicle Cannon

Model: Atgar Heavy 44.H
Type: Heavy Anti-Vehicle Cannon
Scale: Walker (+8D)
Skill: Blaster Artillery: 44.H
Crew: 4 (2 @ +10)
Cost: 240,000 (new), 180,000 (used)
Availability: 3, X
Body: 5D
Fire Control: 2D+2
Range:
-Atmosphere: 500m-2km/3.5km/7km
Damage: 8D+1

Air Defense Auto-Blaster

Model:Comar G-003 Tri-Tracker
Type: Air Defense Cannon
Scale: Starship (+4D)
Skill: Blaster Artillery: Tri-Tracker
Crew: 3 (1 @ +10)
Cost: 20,000 (new), 6,000 (used)
Availability: 3, X
Body: 2D
Range:
-Atmosphere: 100m-800m/2.5km/4km
-Orbital: 2km-16km/50km/80km
Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
Damage: 5D
Sensors:
Search: 6km (120km) / 3D
Focus: 500m (1km) / 4D

Artillery Rocket Launcher

Model: Bryn & Gweith Leveler I
Type: Concussion Rocket Multi-Launcher
Scale: Walker (+8D)
Skill: Missile Weapons: Leveler I
Crew: 6 (3 @ +10)
Ammo: 32
Cost: 55,000 (new), 25,000 (used)
Body: 2D
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
-Atmosphere: 1km-4km/8km/16km
Rate of Fire: Singly, or volleys of up to 32 (+1D Coordination Bonus every time # of rockets fired doubles)
Damage: 7D
Game Notes: Rockets can be shot down by laser weapons. Rockets are considered Character-Scale targets, and have a Body of 1D, but are -2D to Hit, due to their size and speed. Rockets remain in the air for 1 round for every range band they cross (1 round for Short Range, 2 rounds for Medium, and 3 rounds for Long).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is actually it... That's all the vehicles and artillery from the three core sourcebooks (unless someone can think of something I missed). I have a couple more things I want to add to this list since I've gotten this far, but I have actually rewritten every stat I set out to do, including the ones I added on as I progressed.

Refreshing.

Anyone have any requests?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various Other Artillery Pieces
This is an attempt to clear up the mess caused by the PLX-2 Portable Missile Launcher (from the ImpSB) and MerrSonn MX-10 and LX-80 Launchers from Hideouts & Strongholds. While at least two of the launchers purport to using the same missile types, there are differences in Range, Fire Control and Damage, which flies in the face of the launchers using similar missiles.

What I've done is make the LX-80 into a barrage-type launcher, firing multiple unguided rockets, while the PLX-2 and MX-10 are going to be man-portable and emplaced guided missile launchers, respectively. And yes, I know the Plex is an Infantry Support Weapon, not an Artillery Piece, but having redone the Plex missiles for the MX-10, it just seemed appropriate.

Barrage Rocket Launcher

Model: MerrSonn LX-80
Type: Multiple Rocket Launch System
Skill: Missile Weapons: LX-80
Crew: 2 (1 @ +5)
Ammo: 80 (80 additional rounds in Auto-Loader)
Cost: 75,000 (new), 20,000 (used), 500 (per rocket)
Availability: 2, R
Body: 3D
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
-Atmosphere: 100m-1km/2km/5km
Rate of Fire: Singly, or volleys of up to 80
Damage: Varies by Rocket Type
-Anti-Vehicle: 6D (Point)
-Anti-Personnel: 2D (Area)
Note: The Auto-Loader will not reload until all of the tubes are empty. Reloading all 80 tubes requires 4 rounds. A misfire in a single tube takes 2D rounds to clear, and holds up the entire loading process until cleared.

Multi-Missile Launcher

Model: Merr-Sonn MX-8 "Multi-Plex"
Type: Anti-Vehicle Missile Launcher Emplacement
Skill: Missile Weapons: MX-8
Ammo: 8 (16 reloads)
Cost: 20,000 (new), 8,000 (used), 500 (per rocket)
Range: 50m-200m/600m/1km
Note: The above rules are for firing unguided rockets. However, the Plex is also capable of firing smart missiles, as well. If smart missiles are available, use the following rules:
    Lock-On
    Time To Use: 1 round.
    How To Use: Use the Ranged Attack rules (Range: 100m-500m/1km/2km) to establish a lock on the target (subject to standard range and reaction skill rolls). Because the lock-on is passive only, the target will have no warning from sensors. As such, when the missile is fired, the targeted vehicle must make a Moderate Sensors roll (Difficult if the PLEX is in the target's Rear Fire Arc), or it is Surprised.

Smart "GAM" Missile (2,000 credits each)
    Duration: 4 rounds (Once duration ends, the missile runs out of fuel and self destructs).
    Damage: 6D
    Note: The missile has an onboard sensor and guidance package that allows it to keep track of a target if it misses. The Sensor has a sensitivity of 2D, and the Guidance System has a skill equivalent of 3D. Once Lock-On is achieved, use the standard Ranged Attack rules for the initial launch. If it misses, compare the results to the following chart:
      Missed By = Result
      <10 = Weapon is still homing, and may attack as normal the following round
      10-20 = Weapon has lost lock, but may roll to reacquire in the next round. If lock is reestablished, the weapon may attack as normal in the following round. If the lock is lost, the weapon's safety settings engage and it self destructs.
      21+ = Weapon has lost lock and can not re-engage. Safety settings engage and the weapon self destructs.
    The missile attacks at Easy Difficulty, and has a skill equivalent of 3D, a Fire Control of 4D and a Sensors rating of 2D (Sensors is used to resolve Lock-On attempts, while Fire Control is used to resolve attacks).

Portable Missile Launcher

Model: Merr-Sonn PLX2 "Plex"
Type: Man-Portable Anti-Vehicle Missile Launcher
Skill: Missile Weapons: PLX2
Ammo: 2
Cost: 4,000 (2, X), 500 (per rocket)
Range: 25m-100m/300m/500m
Note: Can fire the same Smart Missiles as the MX-8, using the same rules.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, last but not least, here is the Imperial Garrison Base. Sutehp asked me about it here a while back, so it has been on my mind. Since it isn't really a starship or a vehicle, but does incorporate aspects of both, I decided I'd leave this until the end of the Vehicle Project as a final flourish.

Imperial Garrison Base

Type: Imperial Army Pre-Fabricated Garrison Base
Scale: Destroyer (+12D)
Length: 300 meters (Point-To-Point)
Personnel: 1,760
Crew Skill:
Gunnery 4D
Shields 4D
Sensors 4D
Troops: 1,240 (including assault vehicle crew)
Consumables: 1 year
Hull: 7D
Shields: 3D
Sensors:
Passive 40/1D
Scan 60/3D
Search 80/4D
Focus 10/5D
Weapons:
3 Dual Heavy Turbolaser Cannon
Fire Arc: Special*
Crew: 3
Scale: Destroyer (+12D)
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Range:
--Orbital: 6km-30km/70km/150km
--Atmosphere: 300m-1.5km/3.5km/7.5km
6 Dual Heavy Laser Cannon
Crew: 2
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Skill: Starship Gunnery Gunnery
Range:
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 8D
3 Tractor Beam Projectors
Crew: 4
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Atmosphere Range: 100m-200m/500m/1km
Rate of Fire: 1 (Full Round)
Damage: 6D
*Fire Arcs:The shape and weapons placement of the garrison makes assigning weapons to Fire Arcs a challenge. In general, assume that up to 2/3 of the weapons (2 of 3 Turbolaser or Tractor Beams and 4 of 6 Heavy Laser Cannon) can be brought to bear against a target on any bearing. The only exception is the Turbolasers, if firing at an Orbital target, in which case all three Turbolasers may be brought to bear, due to their position near the top of the base.
Small Craft Complement:
-40 TIE Fighters
-10 AT-AT Walkers
-10 AT-ST Walkers
-40 Speeder Bikes
-60 Landspeeders
-100 Miscellaneous Vehicles
Special: Theater Shield
Every garrison base incorporates a powerful energy shield generator that protects from orbital attacks. This is not a full planetary shield, but instead protects the garrison base and its immediate surroundings. This Shield has a Strength of 6D Death Star-Scale, and provides Full Cover out to a distance of 6 kilometers from the garrison, at which point Cover is reduced by 25% for every additional kilometer. The main weakness of the shield is that the close confines under the shield increase the Piloting Difficulty for Starship-Scale craft by +10, so air superiority under the shield is generally handled by heavily armed airspeeders.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:25 am; edited 3 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice stuff here. Though i've never understood how the hexagonal, 300m across garrison can hold all that stuff..

A single AT-AT is what, 23 meters long, 4-5 meters wide. So a group of 10 of them, 5 a side, 2 deep, would take up 40-50 meters, by 46 meters.
Add to that, all the rest of those vehicles, i just don't see how the base could still hold 1000+ troops and support staff. Let alone the power generators for all the shields, weapons and other stuff.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Some nice stuff here. Though i've never understood how the hexagonal, 300m across garrison can hold all that stuff..

A single AT-AT is what, 23 meters long, 4-5 meters wide. So a group of 10 of them, 5 a side, 2 deep, would take up 40-50 meters, by 46 meters.
Add to that, all the rest of those vehicles, i just don't see how the base could still hold 1000+ troops and support staff. Let alone the power generators for all the shields, weapons and other stuff.

Check pages 120-121 of the Star Wars Sourcebook for a general diagram of the interior. In a nutshell, the interior of the garrison is basically a huge, five-story-high garage, with living and working spaces grouped around and above it. The reactor and other facilities (maintenance, some storage, sanitation, etc) are excavated into the ground under the garrison during construction.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, that layout isn't perfect. Level 7 (the TIE Hangar Deck needs to be at least four stories high to accommodate the landing racks and still give the TIEs room to fly in and out underneath them. Unfortunately, the Garrison just doesn't look like it has enough vertical clearance for it.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why i feel they should be at least 1.5 times the size they are. UP AND across..
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Of course, that layout isn't perfect. Level 7 (the TIE Hangar Deck needs to be at least four stories high to accommodate the landing racks and still give the TIEs room to fly in and out underneath them. Unfortunately, the Garrison just doesn't look like it has enough vertical clearance for it.
Perhaps the racks are on the outside and not shown?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Perhaps the racks are on the outside and not shown?

The floorplan of the TIE deck clearly shows TIEs parked around the perimeter of the deck, inside the garrison.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which is why i feel they should be at least 1.5 times the size they are. UP AND across..

But if starts to get too big, it throws the deckplan off. The interior is perfectly capable of docking the AT-ATs as laid out, and an individual AT-AT is only slightly more than 1/12th the diameter of the garrison base.

Of course, knowing the official height of an AT-AT (~22.5 meters) gives a rule of thumb to measure deck height. If the internal garage is five floors tall, that means each deck has to take up a minimum of 4.5 meters of vertical space, and even that would leave the AT-ATs scraping the ceiling. If Sutehp's measurements are accurate (and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be), the garrison's height from the base up to the roof deck (not counting the TIE launch bays) is 47.5 meters.

So, my assumption is that each of the "regular" decks takes up 5 meters of vertical space (this gives the AT-ATs ~2.5 meters of clearance inside the garage). That totals 25 meters for the first five decks. 47.5 meters - 25 meters is 22.5 meters. 22.5 meters - 5 meters (for the C&C deck sandwiched between the garage and the flight deck) leaves 17.5 meters for the flight deck, which comes out to 3.5 decks worth of internal space, which should be more than enough to fit both ceiling landing racks and allow TIEs to maneuver under them for landing and take-off.

Based on those numbers, my solution would be to just shrink the garage bay doors on the garrison to roughly 1/2 the height of the garrison's main body (not counting the turrets and TIE launch bays). Even just photo-shopping the door down to the same height as the guard towers on either side would still give the AT-AT plenty of vertical clearance, and would make it not quite so visually awkward.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.. You could throw the plans out of whak. BUT isn't that part of the basis you are using for most of your stat redesigns, they don't match what we see/know?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True.. You could throw the plans out of whak. BUT isn't that part of the basis you are using for most of your stat redesigns, they don't match what we see/know?

I'd much rather pretend that the garage door is shorter than it actually is than throw out the entire floorplan and start over from scratch.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, although I've pretty much wrapped this up, I've had another thought about vehicle classification. The word "Skimmer" pops up every now and then in the SWU, with no real classification for it. I'm thinking of co-copting Skimmer as the classification for open-top airspeeders, as their lack of environmental seal prevents them from getting too far up in the air. So, skimmer.

Thoughts?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things...

1). I'm looking at three vehicles that I moved up from Speeder to Walker-Scale (specifically, the Chariot, Hoverscout and Freerunner) from a perspective that they may be much shorter than WEG says. Per the SWTC (their evidence presented here), WEG underestimated the AT-AT's length by 25% and its height 50%, making the AT-AT much larger than WEG measurements would have us believe. This isn't the first time I've run into problems on this project with WEG assigning odd lengths to vehicles. For example, here's the lengths of the three SWU vehicles compared to other real-world vehicles:
    Chariot - 11.8
    Hoverscout - 15.9
    Freerunner - 14.6
    53' Semi Trailer - 16.06 meters
    M1 Abrams - 7.93 meters (9.77 w/ gun forward)
    M2 Bradley - 6.55 meters
    Stryker - 6.95 meters
Consider that a Freerunner is the same length as a 48' semi-trailer, yet can only carry a few crew and some weapons (or a squad of infantry if you take out some of the weapons). The Length on these three vehicles puts them in the same league as most Starfighters, but with a fraction of the capability and transport capacity.

What I'm thinking is dropping these three back down to Speeder-Scale (with some stat bumps to compensate) and subtracting 5 meters from all of their Lengths to make them a better fit to the upper end of the Speeder-Scale Class.

2). While thumbing through the Corporate Sector Handbook looking for something else, I was struck by the sheer number of civilian & police vehicles that could potentially round out my basic selection of light vehicle stats. The law enforcement vehicles alone include a combat van (SWAT Teams?), a riot suppression vehicle and a mobile detention wagon. The available civilian vehicles are also quite extensive, including both a limousine and the SWU-equivalent of a pimped-out lowrider (the one from Han Solo & The Lost Legacy). I strongly expect I'll be attempting some of these as rest breaks between more complicated stats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 18 of 23

Jump to: