The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Galleon's Detachable Cargo Bay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Star Galleon's Detachable Cargo Bay Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Thx1138 wrote:
That whole scene was a little off. For one thing, the falcons hyperdrive should have registered the baleen transport as a mass shadow given that it has been inferred that decent sized asteroids could prevent a jump to hyperspace and since we don't know the lower limits of mass shadows it's impossible to tell. but if we take that scene as fact it is possible that ships have equipment in them in order to prevent changes in mass and density while in hyperspace which could be used to create a hyperspace free bubble to allow for a jump through the hanger exit.

It's important to note that the hyperdrive cut-out only engages in the presence of a gravity field of sufficient strength. Even in deep space, there will still be a tiny amount of gravity from stars light-years distant, and even from the galaxy itself.

True, and you CAN disable those safeties, so you stay in hyperspace if your 'gravity field detector' goes off.. Though that could spell doom, if the field is not just a projected image (such as an interdiction field, but an actual object like a massive meteor or a planet!)..
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
It also says on said page that the pod fires its thrusters and builds speed to clear the debris field in one round. If it was just equipped with maneuvering thrusters it would be unable to clear a debris field in one round, that would be to fast in my opinion. Also maneuvering thrusters would not just be focused in the rear of a small vessel like that, think of the space shuttles, they had maneuvering thrusters in the front and rear of them. Also this design is a lot like the covert shroud, the "Destruction" of the host vessel is used to distract the enemy while the smaller one escapes. With the size of the Star Galleon put into perspective, they would need some sublight engines to clear the debris field in one round in order to make the jump.

Based on the picture, it appears to have, what I would describe as, a booster. A single-shot device suitable for exiting a cargo hold. That said, the picture is not a very reliable source given the description of how the pod is supposed to exit the ship. There were no visible exit doors and even Starfighters don't pull that kind of "90 degree turn on a dime". The core issue that I see is that anything added on reduces cargo space and if it has ship capabilities why call it a pod? Why not just say it has a secondary cargo transport ship inside the galleon?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I haven't written up the stats for this yet (I've got a lot on my plate at the moment), but I have decided that the cargo bay will have a subspace drive. My thinking is that the drive will offer a degree of utility that a simple booster drive would not. For example, if the cargo bay happened to jump into an uncharted, naturally occurring gravity well, such as from a rogue planet in interstellar space, or some other interstellar object, the cargo bay would be trapped, unable to maneuver out of the gravity well to continue its evasions. I also don't think that the Empire, who put a lot of money into the Star Galleon as a vessel for transporting valuable cargos, would consider the expense of an extra drive to be insurmountable. These are, after all, the same people who dump massive quantities of garbage (including still valuable components) overboard when they jump to lightspeed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note on this, what would be some good scenarios for a Random Encounter Table for use when boarding a Star Galleon? Sealed Blast Doors, ambushes from firing slits, etc. More suggestions?

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking reconfigurable holds. If you have a rail system, and durasteel sections, you can easily build a configuration that straight up isolates vulnerable areas, and allows funneling towards, say, areas with very little cover for attackers.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy frakkin' jeebus, Zarn, more than half the stuff you mentioned has a much greater potential to harm the crew than to neutralize any boarders. Shocked Shocked Shocked

As I recall (and I might be wrong), Star Galleons have a reputation for being crappy ships, but they're not supposed to be friggin' deathtraps. Confused

EDIT: Ok, I got the hint that you weren't being totally serious when I saw the bit about the Captain's Chair with the Detonite enema. 8) Mr. Green
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said areas might also be dangerously close to the outer hull, and if you also had reconfigurable sections of grav plating and an ability to open or blast off sections of outer hull - you might get kill zones where you boost boarders off into space. While shooting at them. From places with good cover.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to note that the Star Galleon is an Imperial Navy vessel designed to be crewed by humans. Its interior layout is designed as a fortress to assist its troops and crew in resisting boarders.

Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As a side note on this, what would be some good scenarios for a Random Encounter Table for use when boarding a Star Galleon? Sealed Blast Doors, ambushes from firing slits, etc. More suggestions?

Yeah the primary thing I imagine for the 'sophisticated anti-intruder defenses' is lots of blast doors that let the crew seal off all the vital areas of the ship, and kill zones with firing ports and/or turreted weapons that let boarders be taken out from relative safety.

Since we're sealing off a bunch of areas though maybe also 1) seal off the vital areas of the ship and then 2) evacuate the air from all the rest of it; a.k.a. the standard anti-boarding tactic from the FTL game. (Of course the boarders may be wearing vacc suits, but why not)

Maybe the kill zones from above have some kind of equivalent to a flash bang grenade - ultrabright flash of light and ultrasonic weapon? - to stun the boarders and make them extra easy to pick off?

I'll keep thinking.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrified deck plating might also work.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, the Imperial Sourcebook states the following about a Star Galleon:
    "The interior of these ships bristle with anti-intruder defenses. The troopers, for example, can make use of fortress-like emplacements that line the inner hallways and corridors from which to defend their ship. Individual sections can be sealed and held by the defenders, creating pockets within a Star Galleon."

Specifically, since I mistakenly assumed that replies to a question about Star Galleons' interior defenses in a topic about Star Galleons would be limited to actual anti-intruder defensive arrangements aboard Star Galleons (as opposed to every conceivable boobytrap or hazard that might possibly be found aboard every starship anywhere), let me put it in simple terms:
    1). The Star Galleon is an Imperial Navy ship designed to be crewed by humans. Instances of Star Galleons being crewed by alien races are exceedingly rare, and any non-human modifications shall be considered unique to those vessels, rather than representative of Star Galleons in general.

2). Per the above quote, the Star Galleon has unique features insofar as it is designed from the keel out to include extensive anti-intruder defenses.

3). For the purposes of assisting Game Masters in role playing scenarios that involve the boarding and capturing of Star Galleons, I would like to design a random encounter table for the ship's internal defenses.

4). The table will be specific to the Star Galleon, and limited only to features specifically designed into the vessel as part of its anti-boarding defenses, and will not include hazards that exist outside of that topic, including but not limited to:
      -Non-Standard Environments
      -Non-Human Control Interface Features
      -Improvised Traps
      -Hazardous Cargos
      -Battle Damage
      -Random Parasites
[/disclaimer]

Please post accordingly.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
As I recall (and I might be wrong), Star Galleons have a reputation for being crappy ships, but they're not supposed to be friggin' deathtraps. Confused

Star Galleons are intended to be heavily armed freighters, and as such, their stats may not be the greatest in absolute terms. However, relative to other bulk transports of similar cargo capacity, they are quite formidable. And that is without factoring in their anti-boarding defenses, which are mentioned in the write-up, but never made it into the stats.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section vented to vacuum. Want to keep prisoners secure? Make sure they know that bustingnout of their cells dumps them into vacuum.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant Tourtiere wrote:
Yeah the primary thing I imagine for the 'sophisticated anti-intruder defenses' is lots of blast doors that let the crew seal off all the vital areas of the ship, and kill zones with firing ports and/or turreted weapons that let boarders be taken out from relative safety.

Those were some of my thoughts as well. One of my initial ideas was to simply state that defending troops would always have 50% Cover, but that seemed too mundane, as well as not really having enough variety.

Quote:
Since we're sealing off a bunch of areas though maybe also 1) seal off the vital areas of the ship and then 2) evacuate the air from all the rest of it; a.k.a. the standard anti-boarding tactic from the FTL game. (Of course the boarders may be wearing vacc suits, but why not)

Good one. There is also mention in The Far Orbit Project of trapped control panels on the cargo bay, so these could be found throughout, and armed by defenders as they lock down sections to contain intruders.

Quote:
Maybe the kill zones from above have some kind of equivalent to a flash bang grenade - ultrabright flash of light and ultrasonic weapon? - to stun the boarders and make them extra easy to pick off?

Also a good one. I was originally considering a 1D table, but this could easily get more complex if I get more answers...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I'm thinking reconfigurable holds. If you have a rail system, and durasteel sections, you can easily build a configuration that straight up isolates vulnerable areas, and allows funneling towards, say, areas with very little cover for attackers.

The impression I get from most descriptions of the Star Galleon is that the defenses are arranged in a shell around the ship's cargo bay, which is equipped to be ejected and run for it as a last resort. A reconfigurable hold would seem to be too little, too late (since the hold would be the ultimate objective of a boarding party). I could definitely see a multi-layered outer shell with off-set entrances between the layers; break into the outermost ring of corridors and the party has to move laterally several sections before they find a blast door leading in to the next layer, and so on.

Quote:
Said areas might also be dangerously close to the outer hull, and if you also had reconfigurable sections of grav plating and an ability to open or blast off sections of outer hull - you might get kill zones where you boost boarders off into space. While shooting at them. From places with good cover.

I could definitely see things like variable gravity deck plating in combination with other ambush methods to hit characters with multiple challenges at once. I'm just not sure I see the logic in actually blasting off sections of the ship's hull as an anti-boarding technique. It seems a bit extreme when simply venting the atmosphere from a sealed section is available as an option. One would require extensive repairs; the other just requires sending in the cleaning droids to mop up the mess...

Quote:
Electrified deck plating might also work.

Agreed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: