The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Speed Rules and Ship/Vehicle Actions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Speed Rules and Ship/Vehicle Actions Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Allowing inertia to take over and just moving at a constant speed and direction would be the opposite of full evasion. You'd be an easy target.

You misunderstand. I didn't say anything about direction, and I agree that moving in a straight line makes you an easy target. Certainly, temporarily altering speed is a way to evade, my point is that it's temporary and not necessarily a large variation, because slowing down more than a tiny bit would likewise make you easier to hit in the long run.

I have also always taken the intent of the scene into account for the net motion as well. Dogfighting is very different than the Millenium Falcon trying to flee from star destroyers.

Something I'd considered, but haven't tried yet was determining the move as the dodge roll minus the maneuverability roll subtracted from the move speed; such that less maneuverable ships will suffer more speed loss from the maneuvers performed. (eg. Dodge roll of 4D - Maneuver of 2D = speed loss, then deducted from ship's overall move).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JironGhrad wrote:
Whill wrote:
Allowing inertia to take over and just moving at a constant speed and direction would be the opposite of full evasion. You'd be an easy target...

You misunderstand.

No, you misunderstand. I wasn't at all disagreeing with you. Reading the word inertia made me think of the first two sentences I wrote in my previous post, but that was just me building up to my last two sentences...

JironGhrad wrote:
In air to air/space to space combat, you don't just zero speed; stopping requires retroactive thrust (or inertia in aerial flight). So logically, you break the cinema with the idea that motion isn't tied to dodge.
Tupteq wrote:
I allow to perform a move during a full dodge (for both characters and vehicles) as long as it's a free action. So, generally it's cautious movement (half of Move/Space per round). This allows to slowly move in certain direction, but the defense is a priority, so it's more like "two steps forward, one step back" approach.
Whill wrote:
...Evasion involves moving port, starboard, deck, overhead, accelerating and decelerating. I've always ruled that the net result of full evasion is up to cautious speed distance in the direction you want to go. But you moved around a lot in all the zigging and zagging.

This was me agreeing with these statements made by both you and Tupteq. Sorry my use of quotations was not more clear though.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Whill. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I tend to take the view that most Star Wars space craft aren't built with non-aerodynamic design in mind. From a real-space perspective, starships should have thruster vents scattered about the hull, along with maneuvering thrusters (ala Star Trek) in order for the RAW ruleset to work with effectively non-motion dodging.

Having flown planes in the real world, and done a lot of study on air combat; aerospace dodging tends to have results in feet or inches. While Star Wars is not that "real-world," I like the cinematic effects of misses by inches so often my game tweaks tend toward that effect.
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our games we allow vehicles to move at up to high speed (3 moves)
while dodging, basically going as fast as you can in a straight line while bouncing up and down and zig zaging.
We also use the dodge roll as the piloting roll for the terrain we are traveling through.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dic1 wrote:
In our games we allow vehicles to move at up to high speed (3 moves)
while dodging, basically going as fast as you can in a straight line while bouncing up and down and zig zaging.
We also use the dodge roll as the piloting roll for the terrain we are traveling through.

Which is near enough to BTB..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: