The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movement Rules-As-Written (and Head Shot)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Movement Rules-As-Written (and Head Shot) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recoveringgeek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Movement Rules-As-Written (and Head Shot) Reply with quote

Two questions from my thread in the Gamemasters sub-forum. I'm hoping I can get clarification on these before my next tabletop session this week.

Thank you in advance!

recoveringgeek wrote:

I have a couple of rules questions that came up during our mock combat;

Movement

In the REUP PDF, page 78;

Quote:
After every character has taken his/her first action, the characters on the first side take their second actions.

In the REUP, page 80-81;

Quote:
Actions That Take Time...

Move: Maneuver 51% of the character’s Move or more around
the area.

In the REUP, page 107

Quote:
Character Movement

Moving is an action, just like firing a blaster or dodging an attack.

The scenario presented to me by my players was the following;

A Melee attacker declares two Actions.
Defender declares two Actions.

First Action: Melee attacker declares a Move, and moves to melee range.
First Action: Defender declares a Move, and moves out of melee range.
Second Action: Melee attacker declares a Move, and moves (again) to melee range.
Second Action: Defender declares a Move, and moves out of melee range.

Does a Move Action count as an "action"? Does this prevent melee-based combat characters from being as effective in combat? Since a defender could always choose to use an available Action to move away, provided they still had an Action available.

Can you move and attack on the same Action, however you still incur a -1D Multiple Action penalty?

recoveringgeek wrote:
Combat

In the REUP, page 96;

Quote:
Combat Options

Hit Locations
Head
Difficulty Modifier +1D
Damage Modifier +12

This seems like a really easy way to add +12 damage to every attack. The +1D modifier to the difficulty isn't very hard to overcome.

Using Rules-As-Written, is this always available as an attack option? We couldn't find anything regarding situational modifiers, when you couldn't choose to make a called shot for the head every round.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially there are no true called shot rules, other than the targetting small areas (with a penalty based on the size of the target you are shooting)..

As for that move issue, i see it as you can do a half move (cautious) and still act ON that action 'segment', but if you have to move more than half, its taking a full action to just move.
recoveringgeek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply garhkal.

I assumed the REUP was a collection of all rules and optional rules, whether in the rule books, supplements, or even modules.

Is the Head Shot rule possibly a community-written optional rule?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the penalty/bonus is taken from the newer D6 Adventures/Fantasy/Space.
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the melee move thing, if I were GMing in that scenario, I'd disallow move in/move out by saying that avoiding a move to attack in melee range requires a perception roll to anticipate (and therefore move away).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whether melee or ranged combat, i have seen the same thing happen, especially for those using/focusing on only blaster pistols (heavy especially).. They start combat out of range, and call 2 actions, one to move INTO range and the other to shoot, but the enemy spends Their action (after the first move of the other side) moving back out..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a house rule, that allows high initiative rolls to possibly act multiple times before the others that are significantly lower. So, that melee fighter might in fact be able to move, and hit before the ranged fighter can clear melee.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact scenario you're suggesting is one that others have suggested. The issue is that RAW allows a single move action and that is all. It cannot be broken down into multiple actions. This is something that is best house ruled.

So what is the best house rule to use? Yikes, that's a hard question. I think I would 1) allow an action to be tacked on to the end of a movement (still considered 2 actions for MAP), or 2) allow a free attack against someone trying to exit a "threatened" area. Meaning extricating from someone specifically trying to do them harm. This would take place before they can move and if they defended would be considered an extra action for MAP purposes.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since though, PCs can do the move before you get your second action too, i don't see it as that big an issue..
recoveringgeek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies everyone.

You helped confirmed what the rules were telling me, but my brain wanted to believe I missed something that prevented that endless loop of stalemate.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to make sense, though: someone runs at you with a knife, run away.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in reality, if both characters are trying to defeat each other, then the "defender" is eventuually going to have to stop retreating and make an attack.

Also, there are scenarios such as the 21-foot rule, which applies in scenarios where the defender is compelled or obligated to stand his ground. An attacker can move and attack quickly enough before the defender has time to complete his first action.

There is also relative speed to consider. Is the attacker a faster runner? If so, the RAW does no provide for a speed advantage, since the defender can move any distance out of range and force a new move action on the part of the attacker (even though he is faster, he never "catches up" to the defender).... and don't bother using the running skill as written...

I think the solution could be to allow all or a certain number of actions per turn rather than just one.

Another option would be to create "rules" for charging attacks....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They already exist, it's called doing a double (or quad speed) move.. Its just your difficiulty to cross the terrain goes up.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Movement Rules-As-Written Reply with quote

recoveringgeek wrote:
Movement
In the REUP PDF, page 78;

Quote:
After every character has taken his/her first action, the characters on the first side take their second actions.

In the REUP, page 80-81;

Quote:
Actions That Take Time...

Move: Maneuver 51% of the character’s Move or more around
the area.

In the REUP, page 107

Quote:
Character Movement
Moving is an action, just like firing a blaster or dodging an attack.

The scenario presented to me by my players was the following;

A Melee attacker declares two Actions.
Defender declares two Actions.

First Action: Melee attacker declares a Move, and moves to melee range.
First Action: Defender declares a Move, and moves out of melee range.
Second Action: Melee attacker declares a Move, and moves (again) to melee range.
Second Action: Defender declares a Move, and moves out of melee range.

Does a Move Action count as an "action"? Does this prevent melee-based combat characters from being as effective in combat? Since a defender could always choose to use an available Action to move away, provided they still had an Action available.

recoveringgeek wrote:
You helped confirmed what the rules were telling me, but my brain wanted to believe I missed something that prevented that endless loop of stalemate.

Your example at the top was not quite confirmed.

REUP p.107 wrote:
A character can move once per round.

Like womprats said above, a character can't move more than once per round. So there are no second action moves if the first action was a move. However, what you said can still sometimes occur without second moves, if a character moves into melee range of another, the other can move out on their next turn.

One way the loop ends is by characters declaring different numbers of actions in a round. Say the first character declared three actions and the first action is not movement, and the second character has no idea the first character is coming for him so declares one action. Then when it comes to second actions in the round, the first character moves into melee range of the second character. The second character has no more actions, and the first character's third action is the attack. The defender can do nothing but a reaction skill. So one way to be an effective melee combatant would be to out-MAP enemies. And another thing that can break the loop is that initiative can change round to round so the sides go in different order which can turn the tide of battle.

As womprats and Naaman suggested, there could also be situations where GM could rule that a retreating character could end up being backed into corner where they have to defend themselves. There's no where left to run.

garhkal wrote:
They already exist, it's called doing a double (or quad speed) move.. Its just your difficiulty to cross the terrain goes up.

Yep, that's where the Running skill comes into play and what foot chases often boil down to. Running faster makes it a higher chance of eating permacrete, which may then allow a slower chaser to catch up anyway.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially if face planting one's self causes a wound!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: