The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Presenting - The Star Wars D6 Stat Database!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Presenting - The Star Wars D6 Stat Database! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Presenting - The Star Wars D6 Stat Database! Reply with quote

Heya, folks!

I've been quiet for awhile, and I have something pretty neat to show you. Actually, I've been working on this on and off for about two years, so I'm REALLY excited to show it to you! Hopefully you will all see why I've delayed the re-release of GG16: TOR.

I present to you: A real, honest-to-maker, Star Wars D6 Stat Database!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22297088/Star%20Wars%20RPG%20Statbase_v1.00.xlsx

What is it? It's an Excel database (.xlsx) containing EVERY D6 stat, D20 conversion, and piece of data I could get my hands on. What types of stats? ALL OF THEM. Alien species, creatures, droids, equipment, starships, vehicles, weapons. The database contains 6,110 individual stat entries!

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did I do this? It's simple. Since RPGs have gotten more technologically-friendly, I've felt that SWD6 has fallen to the wayside, most notably because there was SO much material, all of it in book-only format, and all of it formatted differently, that putting it together into one legible format seemed a nightmare at best, an impossible task at worst. I tend to LOOOOVE those kinds of challenges Smile.

This represents probably hundreds if not thousands of hours of data entry, source tracking, data conversion, and formatting (and re-formatting, and re-re-formatting, and...), so I hope it comes in handy for you fine folks!

I have ambitions for expanding it in the future, but for now I wanted to get it out in a testable state and start getting feedback and errata for V2.0. So please, dig into it, find the glaring errors that I missed, and if you can, help me polish it up to make it THE indispensable SW D6 RPG tool!

*As with all SWD6 works, this is intended only to represent older, out-of-print stats as a useful TOOL, and not to infringe on any current licenseholders. Please use in good faith!

Thanks,
-Moe!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

While it's nice having access to everything in one location, the structure of a spreadsheet seems like it may take some getting used to as far as searching for particular entries.

Do you find this is helpful for your own searches or notes?
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!

With all the data in one place, I can easily generate handouts/prints for my players. Before a game in which they're going to go ship shopping, for example, I could literally print out a sheet of every ship ever statted for their consideration.

Ideally I would be able to generate a set of PDFs from this database that would allow each of the categories in handy book-readable format - the only obstacle is the sheer amount of information in each stat. There'd have to be a ton of info dropped from each entry to fit it even onto a landscape-oriented page.

Starships, for example, would likely only be able to hold some basic info, maneuverability/hull/shields, cost, and then only the name of each weapon in order to fit.

And in case you're curious, the advantage this has over the Gry Sarth statbooks (which were used as a major data source for this!) is that this is a) up-to-date, b) easily updatable, and c) sortable by any stat in the game. Want to compare all of the weapons in the game by range? Or only see creatures with Strength of 4D or more? See every starship for under 100,000 credits? Easy-peasy.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven, from your response I take it that a spreadsheet is a less-than-ideal resource for your gaming needs.

What format would you find most useful for this sort of thing?
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent resource!

And for my own personal use a spreadsheet works great for me and is probably the easiest method to pull all the data together for offline use, otherwise you're linking all the data into a database and making it available from an online site.

T.C.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Raven, from your response I take it that a spreadsheet is a less-than-ideal resource for your gaming needs.

What format would you find most useful for this sort of thing?

For me, I've found that the PDFs are most useful. Mostly, because even with Free Adobe software, I can do a search query and quickly find what I'm looking for quickly. The biggest slow down, is remembering which electronic source I've seen something in.

If we had something like the Weapons, Equipment, Aliens, Creatures, and Starships PDFs with all information and conversions combined, that would probably be the easiest for me to use. Also, copying and pasting off of a .PDF makes moving information to digital character sheets super easy to do.

That's not to say that your Spreadsheet isn't useful, just that looking at stat blocks on a page is easier for me than tracing along a row in a spreadsheet.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^TyCaine, I totally missed your response. Glad you find this useful!

For me a spreadsheet is invaluable as well. The biggest thing is that it's THERE. Like, all in one place! This is information that, before this, was spread across a bunch of out-of-print media. It was kindly collected by Gry Sarth, and added to by Cheshire's D20 Conversions, but even those two resources didn't live in the same place. All told, having it all together is a huge step toward simply having all of the D6 material in one collective location, from which people can generate stat sheets, cards, and PDFs. I think it's pretty cool.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Huge resource!
discosoc
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. With only a few adjustments, I should be able to use this as a database for a mail-merge publisher document. I usually do something like this with RPG's to print off equipment or monster stats or whatever on 3x5 index cards.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Shocked

Do you plan to include planets and systems in The Star Wars D6 Stat Database? (you can use the stats of new SW rpg's Edge of the Empire...)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Now THAT had to take a lot of time.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

I'll echo that Wow.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cheshire wrote:

I'll echo that Wow.

Yeah, because of the echo, when he said it, it sounded like

Wow
Wow
wow
wow
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I appreciate the response(and the echo!)

Please feel free to post here with any corrections or updates. I'm currently trying to track down any errors in the database, as well as attempting to catalogue as much of the D6 fan material as possible that's cropped up over the years. There's a LOT.

I'm also taking an eye towards adding and converting D20 and FFG material automatically.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Meriba, I certainly plan on including planets. Ideally, anything that ever had a stat (official or otherwise), I want in here. Including... DUN DUN DUNNNN... Characters.

Now THERE'S a can of worms. As for as I know there isn't even an INDEX of all the NPC characters in the various D6 books, so tracking them all down would/will be a multi-year chore!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: