The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bacta Tanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Bacta Tanks Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Bacta Tanks Reply with quote

A few (not so) simple questions...

Aparently a Bacta tank can regrow tost tissue. Can it also regrow a lost hand (arm/leg) for instance? Or would it be possible to clone a hand and attach it in a bacta tank? And would that hand carry a darkside penalty for jedi characters?

If yes: How long would that take? How much would it cost? Why did Luke go with an artificial hand?

All these questions appeared on our last game session and frankly, I didnt know the answer imediately. Also I havn't found anything in the books. Perhaps one of you does...
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, bacta tanks can regrow tissue, not bones Wink

And I think that it is not possible to clone members with a bacta tank since otherwise why bothering with cyber replacements ?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacta can allow for reattachment of dismembered limbs. But it has to be a clean cut, and I think there's a problem with cauterisation.

You also have to get the limb on ice (or, even better, cryo) to keep it "Fresh".

As we can do that today, in a crude and limited form, that's not too unbelieveable.

So, if you loose a limb in a Vibroblade fight, get it on ice (Or a buddy to do so, if you lost both arms), and get yourself to a Bacta Facility right quick. Be prepared for a long stay, and a really big hospital bill.

It can help regenerate cell tissue (Flesh), with limited (if any) scarring. It can even heal scarring, but you usually have to pay for that.

As for the artificial nature of Luke's hand, there's not enough of it to really affect him. However, when you start getting into the Darth Vader-level cybernetics (Dismembered arms and legs, ruined lungs, broken heart, etc.), then there's a *BIG* impact on how he affects the Force, and it limits it by QUITE a bit.

George Lucas, on the Commentary Tracks of the Original Trilogy, even mentions this, and gives it as the reason that he hasn't tried to overthrow Palpatine and become Emperor himself. He no longer has the strength in the force to do so thanks to the cybernetics disconnecting him from the living force (Yes, even the Dark Side don't like cyborgs.).

The rules for this is in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, and the first Fantastic Technology sourcebook.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Interesting...

But how about cloning somebodies leg... Wouldn't that be possible if you can even clone people?

I would figure the costs might be extremely high to adapt a clone chamber to produce something new. Thats basically why they stuck with the Django Fett model for the entire Clone army issue.

Thanks for the answers so far though... Smile
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloning is a very rare art in the Star Wars Universe for some reason. Even in the Old Republic time.

And cloners are usually talked about in hushed tones. Remember Dex, almost warning Obi-Wan, "Cloners, they are...".

This is never explained why, but doesn't need to be. The horror stories about Cloning scare people today, even when it isn't feesable, yet. (Just listen to the idiots on TV go on about trying to think of things that Sci-Fi Authors have talked about for a few decades now.).

In the Empire, it's out-right outlawed. I guess the Emperor doesn't want folks to pull the same trick he did.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every case of cloning in SW we've seen so far has resulted in a complete clone rather than a certain body part.

Wanted Poster
Allembrande
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given our current use of stem cells, I don't think a macroscopic version of cloning would be difficult. HOWEVER, to keep with the feeling of SW, it should be restricted to cloner planets (Like Kamino)
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is (as in all things)...whatever the Director decides. There is no "official" answer. In my game, the answer is yes. As to time & costs; My best guess is 1-2 months and 5-10 times what a cyber part costs.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clone technology shouldn't be accessible to player. But it is the case Spaari (I don't remember the correct writing) tubes need advanced medecine skills like normaly Bacta tanks. I don't know if medical droids could use Spaari technology without specific programs.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cloning a member isn't possible... then couldn't you clone a full body, then just cut the member off of the clone?, then put it in cryo incase it is needed for further replacements?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following may help:
• A Bacta Tank is not a clone chamber, or cloning facility and is incapable of cloning even simply parts or pieces. From what has been said and published regarding Bacta Tanks in more sources than I can cite or mention, Bacta tanks contain an extremely nutrient rich solution of chemicals combined with varios forms of bacteria, genetically neutral proteins and cells, and some beneficial virii (all of which are resulting after the Processing of the raw bacteria and chemicals needed). This combination, along with stimulii from external energy sources, facilitates the healing process by allowing the genetically neutral bacteria and protein strads to mimic the tissue of the hos organism, and by also feeding the bodies own tissues and cells, Accelerating tissue growth. In some ways, the "stuff" inside a Bacta tank couldbe compared to stem cells (Genetically Neutral). But needs a host organism to adapt cells from to mimic.
• The chambers for cloning are S'parti or C'parti (depending on which source and spelling you prefer). There never has been a lot of information on them, except they are rare, complex, and post-clone wars, illegal! Sure, if the players had access to one, and the skills to use it, they could probably use it to clone lost limbs (after modifying the chamber not to clone a full organism) and use a Bacta tank to facilitate re-atachment. The problem is, where to find a S'parti chamber? All information both prior to the prequels, and since the Prequels indicates that the only surviving S'parti chambers are in the empires safe control (and used for creating additional Stormtroopers). For the players to find a S'parti chamber, it should be the focus of a small campaign, frought with danger (as it definately falls under the heading of "Strange or Unusual technology that gives them an edge"). Also, should the players get access to a S'parti chamber, if others find out aboutit, they will draw a lot of attention (from the empire, from others who want it, from those who would destroy it). I am sure alliance command frowns on S'parti chambers as well (bitter memories of the clone wars).

That being said. Cloning limbs and Organs certainly does not seem too far fetched for a Star Wars campaign (certainly not above the Tech level). The Gm could, if he wished, allow for limitted cloning for medical purposes to be a used in his campaign (Limbs, Organs, etc...) but such a procedure should still be rare, and expensive. It certainly should not be available at every medical facility or corner clinic. And certainly, those facilities that used such procedures would be under close imperial suppervision (to insure the technology does not "run rampant").
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could get limbs replaced by "donors", spend some time in a bacta tank, and wake up with a Barabel fist...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that would work. The replacement limb would probably have to come from a member of your own species.

Wanted Poster
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the availaility of 'donors', and how ethical the doctor is.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, i thing i remember seeing in one of the older books (first ed i think) a 'organ cloning tank'. It was around 30k cost, 3X for availability and could clone upto a full size human leg at max.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: