The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy] Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy] Reply with quote

I was looking through Cracken's Threat Dossier last night and I found something rather intresting. In talking about the Dathomirian variety of rancor, it actually provides them with a full list of character attributes rather than merely the creature attributes that the regular rancor gets. It's intresting to look at the possibility of a player choosing a rancor as their character's species, though they'd be less intelligent than a Gamorrean. But what really gets me is that I would have expected this to be something that only GMs could use as NPCs, and yet there is nothing to prevent players from actually playing as a Dathomirian Rancor. Would any GM actually allow such a PC and if so, what limits might you put on the character. The stats are as follows for those who haven't seen them:

Quote:
Dathomirian Rancor
Attribute Dice: 14D
DEXTERITY 4D/6D
KNOWLEDGE 0D/1D
MECHANICAL 0D
PERCEPTION 1D/2D+2
STRENGTH 5D/8D
TECHNICAL 0D/1D
Special Abilities:

Armor: +3D to STR to resist physical and energy damage
Claws: Does STR+3D damage
Teeth: Does STR+5D damage
Special Skills:
Dexterity skills:
Melee weapons: clubs, trees: Time to use: One round. Rancors use this skill and any of the above specializations to wield large objects as melee weapons. Most of these makeshift tools will cause STR+1 Walker-scale damage.
Thrown weapons: boulders, nets, trees: Time to use: One round. Rancors use this skill and any of the above specializations to hurl objects generally considered too heavy for humans to lift. Rancors throw most objects with a range of 20-30/50/100 meters. Most objects will do 2D Walker-scale damage.
Knowledge skills:
Symbolic writing: Time to use: Variable. Rancors use this skill to understand simple commands written by the Witches of Dathomir. A rating of 4D or higher means the rancor can write the language as well.
Story Factors:
Evolved: Dathomirian rancors have evolved over thousands of years. Rancors encounter off of Dathomir will most likely not be identical, though it is possible that a similar evolution has taken place elsewhere in the galaxy.
Domesticated: Most of Dathomir's rancors have been domesticated by the human clans of the world. These rancors are treated as loved pets, even friends, by their human comrades.
Scale: Creature
Move: 25/40
Height: 8-10 meters

These stats can be found on page 52 of Cracken's Threat Dossier, and on page 38 there are NPC stats for one of these Rancors named Tosh.

Wanted Poster
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was a bit freaked about this as well, and I was also going to post on it. The book says that cientist had to reclassify the dathomirian rancor as a sentient species, because those beast actually were learning to read and write. You could suppose this fantastic evolution of the rancor is a consequence of the dathomirian Force witches influence, I think that makes it a little more believable.

The books puts that kind of rancor available as a player species, but it's on the gamemasters head to allow for such a thing in his game. I certainly never would. I mean, having a player playing an 8D strong, 13D biting, 11D resistant, 10 meters tall dumb brute beast who can hurl trees as a weapon is sure to completely and utterly destroy your game's balance.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Yikes!

Ok... so, let's say you do allow a player to play a Dathomirian Rancor. I see the Mechanical attribute is fixed at a solid 0D (max). Does that mean that the PC cannot have any Mechanical skill bonuses either? I've never seen any rules for 0D max attributes, but I'm guessing it implies that you can't have any skills for that attribute. Even if you could, how do you buy new skills with character points?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Blinks* Well, first, you have to find a ship that you fit in the Cockpit of.

"I don't think they had Rancor's in mind when they built this, Fluffy."

Or try and find an animal big enough for them to ride.

"NO FLUFFY!!! The Tauntaun isn't big en..." *Squish* "What? Yes... Yes... You can eat it if you want..."

What scares me is the Technical stat.

I can just picutre Dathomir when it gets a Spaceport.

"How's the replacement of the Hyperdrive going? I've already been here for two months." "It just came in, and we have our best Tech moving it now." "Ummm... Isn't that usually a five being job, with mechanical support?" "Nah, Fluffy can move the entire thing all by himself."

Of course, considering the junk that PCs pick up for everything, I can just see them having a pride and joy.

"What is that Fluffy has in his hand?" "Oh, he's getting ready for war, that's his Special War Club!" "It's an AT-ST Leg and Foot." "Yep. He's sharpened it." "Oh, Sithspit."
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Ray, great post.

Yeah, the Dathomirian Rancor would fit nice in a comedy campaign, but it would destroy a serious one. Literally. Destroy.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an NPC pet it could be quite fun though. I can imagine all sorts of trouble to get "Fluffy" into as a GM. :)

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Great post Ray, great post.

Yeah, the Dathomirian Rancor would fit nice in a comedy campaign, but it would destroy a serious one. Literally. Destroy.

I thought it was a great post, too.

As for a serious campaign? What is this you speak of? I've never heard of it.

'Course, when you group is full of Canucks, the main GM of your group is a Stand-Up Comic, and everyone in the group loves Paranoia, that goes without saying.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this picture in my head: Wouldn't it be great to see a rancor wrestling an AT-AT?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why is Fluffy beating the hind leg of that AT-AT? Did you tell him that there was Candy in it like you did the Juggernaught?"

"No no no. I told him nothing. He just said that it was performing a 'Challange of Supremecy' dance, and charged after it with his War Club."

"When did it do this?"

"When it kneeled to let the Stormies out. That's where all the broken bodies came from, they tried to stop Fluffy from charging."

"Stormies are so stupid."
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: A Rancor as a PC Reply with quote

Glad I started this thread now, if for nothing more than Ray's hilarious Fluffy. Hope I'm not stepping on your toes here Ray, but I think we need some Fluffy stats. Any stats you may create will take precedence over these, though

Quote:
Fluffy
Type: Adventurer
Gender/Species: Male/Dathomirian Rancor
Age: Unknown Height: 10 meters Weight: Insists a rancor nevers tells their weight
Pyhsical Description: Greyish green and currently cleaning tauntaun off his feet.
DEXTERITY 4D
Brawling parry 5D, dodge 4D+2, melee combat 6D, melee parry 5D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D
Intimidation 4D, language: Symbolic writing 6D, willpower 5D+2
MECHANICAL 0D
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Search: tracking 3D+2
STRENGTH 8D
Brawling 9D
TECHNICAL 1D
Primitive construction 2D, space transport repair +1
Special Abilities:
Special Skills:
Dexterity skills:
Melee weapons: clubs, trees: Time to use: One round. Rancors use this skill and any of the above specializations to wield large objects as melee weapons. Most of these makeshift tools will cause STR+1 Walker-scale damage.
Thrown weapons: boulders, nets, trees: Time to use: One round. Rancors use this skill and any of the above specializations to hurl objects generally considered too heavy for humans to lift. Rancors throw most objects with a range of 20-30/50/100 meters. Most objects will do 2D Walker-scale damage.
Knowledge skills:
Symbolic writing: Time to use: Variable. Rancors use this skill to understand simple commands written by the Witches of Dathomir. A rating of 4D or higher means the rancor can write the language as well.
Story Factors:
Evolved: Dathomirian rancors have evolved over thousands of years. Rancors encounter off of Dathomir will most likely not be identical, though it is possible that a similar evolution has taken place elsewhere in the galaxy.
Domesticated: Most of Dathomir's rancors have been domesticated by the human clans of the world. These rancors are treated as loved pets, even friends, by their human comrades.
Move: 36
Force Sensitive: No
Force Points: 1
Dark Side Points: 1
Character Points: 8
Equipment: Sharpened AT-ST Leg and Foot War Club (STR+2)
Background: Fluffy threatened to use me as a toothpick if I tried documenting his background so I'll let you ask him.
Personality: Fluffy is the happy-go-lucky type, always looking forward to new experinces enjoy or AT-AT to destroy. Insists he'll make an excellent pick pocket some day. He also insists that he's the best starship mechanic in the galaxy, all the stuff he's broke trying to repair it was shodily built in the first place.
Objectives: To find which juggernaut has the candy in it.
A Quote: I can't even translate what he just said in polite company.

Wanted Poster
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... what a great character... can't wait to use him in my campaign. Wink

But why were you stingy with the attribute dice, Hellcat? PCs get basic Attribute Dice plus 6D for attributes, which in this case amounts to 20D. Strangely, even if you max out all the attributes, you can only spend 18D+2. So I guess that means Fluffy should have DEXTERITY 5D+1 and be Force Sensitive with two Force Skills at 1D. Which should that be? Control and Sense?

You know what I'm getting at here, right? RANCOR JEDI!!!

...dear god... imagine the size of that lighsaber........
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Oh... what a great character... can't wait to use him in my campaign. Wink

But why were you stingy with the attribute dice, Hellcat? PCs get basic Attribute Dice plus 6D for attributes, which in this case amounts to 20D. Strangely, even if you max out all the attributes, you can only spend 18D+2. So I guess that means Fluffy should have DEXTERITY 5D+1 and be Force Sensitive with two Force Skills at 1D. Which should that be? Control and Sense?

You know what I'm getting at here, right? RANCOR JEDI!!!

...dear god... imagine the size of that lighsaber........

Well, I was kinda thinking NPC for one and for two, I was kinda using Tosh from CTD as a basis Embarassed. If you think Fluffy should go up to 20D, then maybe give him survival 2D+1.

Didn't want to go Jedi with him since nothing Ray did went along those lines. But I was thinking about that yesterday. Figure the lightsaber would be about three and a half meters in length and maybe half a meter in diameter. Though which would be better, a Jedi Rancor or a Dathomir Witch Rancor. I mean, we are talking Dathomirian Rancors here, maybe they'd start off as the latter.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Thinks* Stats look good. Though I figure him having better Space Transport Repair than 1D+1. At least 2D.

And if there's a Verpine or Slussi in the group, I can just see a custom-made Datapad (Made from the Dashboard of a Speeder) that straps to one arm. Has buttons for the symbolic writing, and a speaker on it, so Fluffy can "Speak".

As for Jedi Rancors. No. Just... No.

There are also PC Species that get less than 20D in stats due to the amount of bonuses they get (Like armour, claws, the ability to do Walker Damage, etc.).

*Beep-Boop-Bap-Bap* "Hungry for Bantha Steaks." "Damn it, Fluffy, you've already eaten half the cargo!" *Twists knob, Beep-Boop* "HUNGRY!!!" "OK, OK... ONE MORE, then you're cut off." "You said that two Banthas ago." "You going to argue with Fluffy?" "I keep telling you, get him drunk." "Then how will we carry him to his room?" "Cargo Winch?" "I broke it trying just that the last time he passed out."
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: A Rancor as a PC Reply with quote

Ok, Ray, I'll make the changes then to reflect what you have in mind for skills and equipment.

Quote:
Fluffy
Type: Adventurer
Gender/Species: Male/Dathomirian Rancor
Age: Unknown Height: 10 meters Weight: Insists a rancor nevers tells their weight
Pyhsical Description: Greyish green and currently cleaning tauntaun off his feet.
DEXTERITY 4D
Brawling parry 5D, dodge 4D+2, melee combat 6D, melee parry 5D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D
Intimidation 4D, language: Symbolic writing 6D+2, willpower 5D+2
MECHANICAL 0D
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Search: tracking 3D+2
STRENGTH 8D
Brawling 9D
TECHNICAL 1D
Primitive construction 2D, space transport repair 2D
Special Abilities:
Special Skills:
Dexterity skills:
Knowledge skills:
Story Factors:
Move: 36
Force Sensitive: No
Force Points: 1
Dark Side Points: 1
Character Points: 8
Equipment: Sharpened AT-ST Leg and Foot War Club (STR+2), Custom-made Speeder Dashboard Datapad-Translator (equipped with vocorder, Intellex II computer, and symbolic writing buttons)
Background: Fluffy threatened to use me as a toothpick if I tried documenting his background so I'll let you ask him.
Personality: Fluffy is the happy-go-lucky type, always looking forward to new experinces enjoy or AT-AT to destroy. Insists he'll make an excellent pick pocket some day. He also insists that he's the best starship mechanic in the galaxy, all the stuff he's broke trying to repair it was shodily built in the first place.
Objectives: To find which juggernaut has the candy in it.
A Quote: I can't even translate what he just said in polite company.

Wanted Poster
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: A Rancor as a PC Reply with quote

Ok, now I'm going to do something a bit different and do a Dathomirian Witch rancor character

Quote:
Crol
Type: Dathomirian Witch Initiate
Gender/Species: Female/Dathomirian Rancor
Pyhsical Description: Greenish brown
DEXTERITY 2D
Brawling parry 3D+2, dodge 2D+2, melee combat 3D, melee parry 2D+1
KNOWLEDGE 1D+2
Language: Symbolic writing 3D+2
MECHANICAL 0D
PERCEPTION 1D+2
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 4D
TECHNICAL 0D
Special Abilities:
Armor: +1D to STR to resist physical and energy damage
Claws: Does STR+1D+1 damage
Teeth: Does STR+3D damage
Allyan Magic: Absorb/Dissipate Energy 1D, accelerate healing 1D, life detection 3D, spell of comfort 1D+2, spell of discovery 2D, spell of power 2D, spell of mimicry 4D+1
Special Skills:
Dexterity skills:
Melee weapons: clubs, trees: Time to use: One round. Rancors use this skill and any of the above specializations to wield large objects as melee weapons. Most of these makeshift tools will cause STR+1 Speeder-scale damage.
Thrown weapons: boulders, nets, trees: Time to use: One round. Rancors use this skill and any of the above specializations to hurl objects generally considered too heavy for humans to lift. Rancors throw most objects with a range of 5-15/40/80 meters. Most objects will do 2D Speeder-scale damage.
Knowledge skills:
Story Factors:
Move: 14
Force Sensitive: Yes
Force Points: 2
Dark Side Points: 0
Character Points: 4
Equipment:
Background: Crol was discovered to Force-sensitive, a surprising thing in a Dathomirian Rancor, within a few months of her birth and the clan mother of the clan which owned her decided to attempt to train a Rancor in the ways of Allyan magic.
Personality: Crol is a young Dathomirian Rancor who is still growing up. She is determined to prove that Mother Memogas was right to train her to become a Dathomirian Witch. Often uses the Spell of Mimicry to disguise herself as a human.
Objectives: To prove that Dathomirian Rancors can make good Dathomirian Witches.
A Quote: Translated by Mother Memogas: "I will be a Dathomirian Witch, just you wait.
Note: Due to the fact that Crol is not yet an adult Rancor, all stats have been reduced to reflect the fact that she is still growing. Expect her stats to be much higher when she reaches adulthood.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: