The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Trek D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Star Trek D6 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Star Trek D6 Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm doing a quick and dirty conversion of Star Trek into D6. I'm wondering if anyone has done this already before I bust my hump getting it done in the next two days.

I am particularly interested in vehicle stats as I have characters scale stuff mostly finished.

I used the Star Wars scale chart and renamed it, though I was tempted to put in another scale between shuttlecraft/fighters and Capital ships for the Klingon Bird of Prey and the Jem'hadar fighters.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the D6Holocron? There's a lot of Star Trek conversions there:

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Trek

T.C.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.d6online.com/forum/showthread.php?3723-Star-Trek-D6-Design-Thread

http://web.archive.org/web/20011026144648/www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/3901/trek/index.html

I got these from a quick search at D6 Online (the old WEG forum). I'm looking forward to seeing what you whip up!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably just take the D6 Holocron stats for the ships. Their racial stats, however, are horribly unbalanced.

Here is my thought process on character creation. From the beginning, attribute dice should reflect species, and I wanted to maintain balance there. Players are fresh out of academy, or less than a year out of academy. Think Chekov, LaForge, Bashir or Kim. Players should gain experience and over the course of the game become better until they end up seasoned, eventually earning their own commands. I also wanted to reflect the choice of career path in skill allotment as well as the culture they grew up in.

Let's start with Alien specie. My rules are as follows:

1) All player character species get a total of 18 attribute dice. 12 for the species, 6 for being heroes.

2) The total minimum attribute values will always equal 12. If one attribute goes down, a different attribute goes up. The absolute minimum is 1D.

3) The total Maximum attribute values will always equal 24. Absolute maximum is 5D.

4) 2D of skill dice comes from the culture of your race and must be spent in race appropriate categories. For instance, if you were raised by Klingons, then you must spend these 2D in combat skills. In Star Trek we have seen a Klingon raised by Humans and a Cardassian raised by Bajorans. You must spend the culture skill dice in the appropriate skills for the species that raised you.

Purchasing species specific skills also must come from these 2D. For instance, if a Vulcan wishes to have (A) Mind Meld, it consumes these 2D.

Now, on to class. Players are Starfleet officers who were trained with a specialty. 2D of your skill dice must be used in your class skills. It is required that one of those dice be used for specializations in your field.

So a starting character has 18 attribute dice, determined by species. 4 skill dice they can place wherever they like. 2 skill dice determined by culture. 1 skill die and three specializations determined by class.

Hopefully that all and sense. When I get some more time I'll post a few species
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you see as the racial min-maxes for all the different species?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basing my racial min-maxes off of watching the various series. Using Humans as the base, and Humans can fight hand-to-hand with every other race with no major difference in strength between them. So here's a few major player races:

Klingons
Dex 2D/4D
Str 3D/5D
Mec 2D/4D
Kno 2D/4D
Per 2D/4D
Tec 1D/3D

Racial Dice: 2D placed into combat skills

Vulcans
Dex 1D+2/3D+2
Str 3D/5D
Mec 1D+2/3D+2
Kno 2D/4D
Per 1D+2/3D+2
Tec 2D/4D

Racial Dice: 2D placed into knowledge skills or (A) Mind Meld 1D

Humans would be the standard 2D/4D on all attributes. Racial dice: 2D placed into repair skills or Command, Persuade, or Con.

Ferengi
Dex 2D/4D
Str 1D/3D
Mec 2D/4D
Kno 2D/4D
Per 3D/5D
Tec 2D/4D

Racial Dice: 2D to be placed into Value, Bargain, Persuade or Con.

Romulans would have the same attribute dice as Vulcans. Racial Dice: 2D to be placed in mechanical combat skills or repair skills

I wouldn't let players start as joined Trills until I think of a way to balance that with other players. Probably make joining something a player has to earn.

Near human races would get human attributes but different racial dice to reflect different cultures. Bajorans, Trills, El-Aurians, for example.

Hybrids would be some mixing of the two species attributes with racial dice being determined by which culture they were raised in.

I'm not sure how to stat the Dominion with balance yet, so they won't be available as player characters. Same with the Borg. However, a fully reclaimed Borg, like old Locutus Picard, would have basic human stats, but maybe access to a nano-regen ability or other piece of Borg tech in place of racial dice. Something not too game breaking.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent.. How might you handle things such as the differences in weaponry, like the romulan disruptors vs klingon disruptor which seems more of a disintergration weapon..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with a Strength max of 4D for Vulcans and Klingons, which is +1D over human norm. They are obviously stronger, but I don't they can measure up to, say, Wookiees.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dominion Founders and the Polydroxol (and the T1000) are basically the same thing - from a certain point of view. You might look to the Holocron for the stats of the Polydroxol, probably remove Segmenting, and recast Surface Altering slightly so that it doesn't just pertain to metals.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I'm basing my racial min-maxes off of watching the various series. Using Humans as the base, and Humans can fight hand-to-hand with every other race with no major difference in strength between them. So here's a few major player races:

Klingons
Dex 2D/4D
Str 3D/5D
Mec 2D/4D
Kno 2D/4D
Per 2D/4D
Tec 1D/3D

Racial Dice: 2D placed into combat skills

Vulcans
Dex 1D+2/3D+2
Str 3D/5D
Mec 1D+2/3D+2
Kno 2D/4D
Per 1D+2/3D+2
Tec 2D/4D

Racial Dice: 2D placed into knowledge skills or (A) Mind Meld 1D

Humans would be the standard 2D/4D on all attributes. Racial dice: 2D placed into repair skills or Command, Persuade, or Con.

crmcneill wrote:
I'd go with a Strength max of 4D for Vulcans and Klingons, which is +1D over human norm. They are obviously stronger, but I don't they can measure up to, say, Wookiees.

crmcneill and Kytross, I'm a little confused by statements made by both of you about Strength.

Average or Typical stats are not given above, but if going by WEG Star Wars as a basis, then the "norm" human strength is 2D, not 3D. And above, max human strength is as WEG SW at 4D. I would say there is a notable difference between at least Vulcans and Humans. Vulcans may only average a little stronger than humans, but max strength is definitely above human max. Even Spock (a half-human) had strength superior to human ability. Strength max 5D makes sense to me, and it is still under Wookiee max strength.

Kytross wrote:
Near human races would get human attributes but different racial dice to reflect different cultures. Bajorans, Trills, El-Aurians, for example.

Hybrids would be some mixing of the two species attributes with racial dice being determined by which culture they were raised in.

It's interesting what you consider "near-human" in Star Trek. I think I understand that you mean there isn't much difference in abilities (mostly only cultural and cosmetic differences), but technically all species that can interbreed and produce viable hybrids would have to be "near" each other genetically, at least the same genus (homo) which I think is what Star Trek classifies them as. TNG even provided an in-universe explanation for that with the episode where they discovered the ancient humanoid progenitor species that had placed "DNA seeds" on Earth and all the other species' homeworld.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

??

4d is human norm. And wookies can go to 6d..
So why do you think 5d is too much for them>
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done quiet a bit of this.

http://mightymuttsquad.raptorsquad.net/crossover/crossover.htm
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I was mixing up mean Strength and maximum Strength.

How are you planning to fit a Trek crossover into the SWU? Adjoining galaxies? Using Trek to populate the Unknown Regions? I've read one decent crossover fan fiction that used an unspecified quantum techobabble vortex to dump pre-Specter of the Past Luke and Mara into Voyager around Season 4 or 5.

The biggest obstacle I can see is warp drive vs. Hyperspace. Warp drive is obviously far slower, which means Trek Starships would be hard pressed to operate on the same galactic scale as Star Wars craft.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

The biggest obstacle I can see is warp drive vs. Hyperspace. Warp drive is obviously far slower, which means Trek Starships would be hard pressed to operate on the same galactic scale as Star Wars craft.

Also shield/sensors and weaponry. In Trek, most federation phasers are continual beam weapons versus the single shot pulse of laser and blaster cannons.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Trek D6 Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
My bad. I was mixing up mean Strength and maximum Strength.

How are you planning to fit a Trek crossover into the SWU? Adjoining galaxies? Using Trek to populate the Unknown Regions? I've read one decent crossover fan fiction that used an unspecified quantum techobabble vortex to dump pre-Specter of the Past Luke and Mara into Voyager around Season 4 or 5.

garhkal wrote:
Also shield/sensors and weaponry. In Trek, most federation phasers are continual beam weapons versus the single shot pulse of laser and blaster cannons.

Guys, he never said anything about crossing Trek over into the Star Wars Universe. He just said he was making a Star Trek D6 RPG.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: