The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sedating / Poisoning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Sedating / Poisoning Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Sedating / Poisoning Reply with quote

In our last gaming session we had a friend of ours playing a medic, with First Aid 6D and Medicine (A) 1D. It was quite nice that he decided to not just stick to healing people, but to use his medical knowledge in an aggresive manner. At one point he wanted to con a stormtrooper into swallowing a pill that would knock him unconcious, in another situation, he sneaked behind a drunk and helmetless trooper and injected some powerful sedative in his neck.

We didn't quite know how to handle these situations, and our GM decided to play it simple and only called for First Aid rolls (which at 7D were pretty easy), if it suceeded the trooper was knocked out, if it was an extraordinary sucess, then there would be no chance of anyone detecting why the trooper was knocked out. It's important to note that the medic was equipped with that neat Medical Backpack from the SpecForces book (p39). Now I was left with a feeling that it could have been handled better, so I want to ask your opinion in what kind of variants and skills rolls would be nice for these kinds of situation.

Another situation that the medic considered was putting something in the trooper's drink...
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most characters with even a rudimentary knowledge of medical chemicals would be able to poison someone.

In the old army medicine chests, there used to be several syringes of morphine. Easy to OD on.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: toxins Reply with quote

I created a special Knowledge skill: poisons. I had a bounty hunter character that wanted to make a sleeping drug to tip a dart. So, she could use her poisons skill to make a sleeping drug of equal damage to her skill. (I.E., if she had 5D in the skill, she could make a drug with 5D potency.) If she wanted to make something lethal, the toxin would have half the strength of her skill dice rounded down. (If she had 4D in the skill, it would result in a 2D lethal toxin.)

It worked alright.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sedating / Poisoning Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
In our last gaming session we had a friend of ours playing a medic, with First Aid 6D and Medicine (A) 1D. It was quite nice that he decided to not just stick to healing people, but to use his medical knowledge in an aggresive manner. At one point he wanted to con a stormtrooper into swallowing a pill that would knock him unconcious, in another situation, he sneaked behind a drunk and helmetless trooper and injected some powerful sedative in his neck.

We didn't quite know how to handle these situations, and our GM decided to play it simple and only called for First Aid rolls (which at 7D were pretty easy), if it suceeded the trooper was knocked out, if it was an extraordinary sucess, then there would be no chance of anyone detecting why the trooper was knocked out. It's important to note that the medic was equipped with that neat Medical Backpack from the SpecForces book (p39). Now I was left with a feeling that it could have been handled better, so I want to ask your opinion in what kind of variants and skills rolls would be nice for these kinds of situation.

Another situation that the medic considered was putting something in the trooper's drink...

I would have had the medic roll his (A) medicine to know where and how much to inject to ko the target, without killing or injuring them, but i would also have required him to make a to hit roll (melee) to actually get it there.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would have had the medic roll his (A) medicine to know where and how much to inject to ko the target, without killing or injuring them, but i would also have required him to make a to hit roll (melee) to actually get it there.

I don't know if I'd have required the extra melee roll; part of being a doctor (especially a medic) is being able to deal with patients who don't necessarily want the medicine you're trying to give them. I would probably go with the assumption that someone with 7D in Medicine would be able to give a thrashing blaster-wounded trooper a sedative shot with not TOO much problem; it'd be infinitely easier for someone who had no idea the attack was coming; kinda like a Thief going for a backstab. The only way I'd call for the melee roll is if the trooper perceived the attack and moved somehow.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is coming from my experience working with corpsmen. They find it hard, to get a sringe into someone who is not ready for it (let alone expecting it). That, and the melee roll would also ensure they didnot screw up and stick themselves...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it works like this. First the medic must decide what to use. This would fall under two catagories, medical or poison. If the medic is going to use a medical drug then he would need to roll either first aid or medicine (GM's call) to know of the drug....unless the GM just gives it to him, such as the case with drugs compatable to morphene, ect. If you wanted a poison, it would be a Scholar: Poisons roll. That roll would be for knowing of / finding / knowing how to make type situations. Then the medic needs to administer the drug. An unaware target shouldn't be difficult at all. A to hit roll of some kind or a first aide roll to administer may be required at the GM's call. Finaly the victum gets a stamina check to see how the toxin / medicine / poison affects them.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds reasonable. I totally forgot about the stamina check. D'OH!
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make a Knowledge skill: Chemistry, for the purpose of making poisons and medicines (and other chemicals). I'd use medicine to find the appropriate dosage, and First Aid (+medicine) to see how to deliver it.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
You could make a Knowledge skill: Chemistry, for the purpose of making poisons and medicines (and other chemicals). I'd use medicine to find the appropriate dosage, and First Aid (+medicine) to see how to deliver it.

Yeah, you could do that... I think the point that was being made earlier was that a specialization in Poisons would be required to make something more potent. I don't know if I quite agree with that one; a thorough knowledge of Medicine would give you the chemistry skills to create many lethal poisons simply because you have to know so much chemistry and anatomy to do it properly. I don't think it would necessarily call for a separate Poisons skill, unless you were an Assassin who didn't have a Medicine specialty... But I can also see a high Medicine level being recommended OR required for assassins; they too have to know how to mix the components, what affects who and how, how much to administer, and where to introduce the toxin to the body in the most efficient manner. I personally think the Medicine skill would cover all that, but would give the added benefit of being able to do a lot to heal onesself without seeking out a doctor- a HUGE plus to someone who by the very nature of his profession operates outside the confines of the law...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found it best to asign drugs, poisons, toxins, diseases, etc... a STRENGTH or Potentcy value in D (a hold over from other games I have played), much like damage on a weapon. To make or manufacture a poison from scratch I would require Chemistry (for synthetics and pharmaceuticals) or a Poisons skill (for natural or hybrid organic/synthetic poisons and toxins). If the poison or drug is readily available, it merely needs to be delivered. If delivered in medical means on a willing target, this is a first aide or medicine roll. If trying to convince a target to ingest it, make con or bargain, or persuasion rolls. On an unwilling target, I have always required brawling to administer even sedatives or helpful drugs/first aide, as they are fighting, unless someone else is already restraining them. Of course there are many other ways to deliver the poisons involving many other skills (use your imagination Twisted Evil )

For effects, I roll the Poisons Strength against the Victims Stamina to determine full effects. Many poisons have a duration, and so, there may be periodic rolls needed until it works it's way out of the victims system. For multiple doses, I use the base rules for combined actions.

Complex in it's simplicity, yes?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as an example...

Socviak tail stinger.. Socviaks are a lizard like avian race, that has one nasty 'punch'. Their tail has a number of syrenge like needles sticking out of the tip. If the tail attack hits, the 'needles' penetrate the skin and inject a potent paralytic poison.

The target when first hits, has to make a stamina check, with a difficulty equal to the 'stingers damage (lets say 5d+2). If this is made, the poison is forced out of the body.

If not, then 2 rounds later, the poison starts to take effect. EACH round, for the next minute, have them roll a stamina check, starting diff of 12, increasing by 3 each round. ANY failed check results in -1d from the HIGHEST physical stat. If and when this reduces the stat to 0d, the person is frozen rigid, and unable to move, speak or even blink (though breathing is unaffected, strangely)..
If the duration expires and they have not fully sucumb, they keep the level of 'stiffness' they have for 1d hours...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would especially suck if all the Socviaks were looking for was a pinata, and thought you'd make a fine one... Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arf arf....

I am actually looking at including those guys in a module...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they'll certainly leave a mark on SOMEONE... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: