The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Baleen-class Heavy Freighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Baleen-class Heavy Freighter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Baleen-class Heavy Freighter Reply with quote

Quote:

Baleen-class Heavy Freighter
Model: Corellian Engineering Corporation Balee-class Heavy Freighter
Type: Heavy Freighter
Era: Force Awakens (~34 ABY)
Affiliation: General
Source: Star Wars Episode VII, Star Wars Episode VII Visual Dictionary, Star Wars Episode VII Incredible Cross-Sections, stats by +Oliver Queen
Scale: Capital
Length: 425.99 meters
Skill: Space transorts: Blaeen-class
Crew: 3 (pilot, co-pilot/navigator, engineer), Skeleton: 1/+15
Passengers: 8
Cargo Capacity: 75,000 metric tons
Consumables: 3 months
Cost: 135,000 (new), 85,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x4
Hyperdrive Backup: x16
Navigation Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 3
Atmosphere: 260; 750 kph
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
-- Passive: 15/0D
-- Scan: 30/1D
-- Search: 50/3D
-- Focus: 2/4D
Weapons:
Tractor Beam
-- Fire Arc: Front
-- Scale: Starship
-- Skill: Starship gunnery
-- Fire Control: 2D
-- Space Range: 1-3/6/12
-- Atmosphere Range: 100-300/600/1.2 km
-- Damage: 5D
Game Notes:
-- Because of its civilian design the Baleen-class heavy freighter does not benefit from scale bonus for hull soak rolls.
-- The lattice cargo array is 4x4 and up to two levels of cargo containers can be placed (202 cargo containers, typically 10 tons per container; 2,020 tons).

Capsule: The galaxy remembers Han Solo and Chewbacca as the daredevil pilots of the Millennium Flacon, equally legendary as smugglers and rebel heroes. But that was a long time ago. The Falcon is gone, and has eluded every attempt by her former owners to track her down. Han and Chewie now operate the Eravana, a massivel bulk freighter that handles like a concussed bantha. The Corellian and the Wookiee have made a fair amount of credits with their new ship, criss-crossing the galaxy carrying everything from bulk consumables needed by remote colonies to exotic fauna desired by wealthy collectors. They have also made more than a few enemies - the inevitable consequence of Han's dubious practices.

Bulk freighters such as the Baleen-class move huge amounts of cargo across the galaxy every day, and are essnetial to cmmerce. Built in orbital shipyards, they almost never enter a planet's atmosphere, docking instead at space station and transfer years to load and unload cargo. Most bulk freighters are owned by corporations as few independent captains have the credits to acquire and maintain these giant craft.

The Falcon felt like home, but the Eravana is a means to an end, with Han and Chewie monitoring the giant ship's cargos and keeping her plodding along her course. The freighter's forward hold doubles as a docking bay, and is used for cargo that demands special handling. Everything else is housed in containers attached to the transport grid between the bow section and engines - a sprawling labyrinth of goods bound for distant starports.

Han always said any starship system could be improved with credits, hydrospanners, and a creative take on galactic law. But that was before he dug into the Eracvana's systems in hopes of upgrading her hyperdrive to Class 3 capabilities. That misadventure ended off planet Botojef when the Eravan's Thorsen field driver punctured the housing for her warp vortex stabilizer, convincing Han that not even Corellian ingenuity can make piloting a bulk freighter interesting.

Updated: Dec-31

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 185,000? Does that seem a bit low?

Otherwise, keep em coming!!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also at that size i don't see it being a starfighter scale ship. I see it as a cap ship.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, good catch. Yeah, anything in the 120+m range I usually bump to capital.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

120,000 is for the onboard hangar area it does not include the external "lattice" cargo which I have not worked out as of yet.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you elaborate?

Also, I got the visual guide to E7 for Christmas as well, and there's a MULTITUDE of awesome new things to stat. Do you want help, or are you managing the whole sourcebook yourself?

Are you working from a master list? Because I found one of all the new things added.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Could you elaborate?

Elaborate? It has internal cargo area that doubles as a hangar. We see that in the episode. I put in an accompanying picture (from the Visual Dictionary) that should explain. Towards the read of the Baleen-class there is a "lattice" of interconnected bracing. This is where cargo containers are placed.

Quote:
Also, I got the visual guide to E7 for Christmas as well, and there's a MULTITUDE of awesome new things to stat. Do you want help, or are you managing the whole sourcebook yourself?

Many hands make the load light. Hit me up in email and we will collaborate as best we can.

Quote:
Are you working from a master list? Because I found one of all the new things added.

Master list? Nah, I just started with the Cross-Sections book and started at the front of the Visual Dictionary. Then I will go through the ebook of the movie and then the four short story ebooks they tossed out on Dec-18.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It boggles the mind that Disney felt it necessary to let us know this ship was exactly 1 centimeter short of being 426 meters in length.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
It boggles the mind that Disney felt it necessary to let us know this ship was exactly 1 centimeter short of being 426 meters in length.

What boggles my mind is that the Canon Story Group is so vague about exactly when a lot of stories and canon events take place on the timeline. And I don't even mean the post-RotJ timeline. The vagueness creates more problems with other works when exactness would prevent these problems. In some ways the continuity management is ever worse under Disney. But they can tell us this ship is 1 cm short than 426 m long? It's infuriating!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I read something like this, I automatically assume it's either some local ordinance, or some arcane BoSS rule that makes that happen, similar to the limiters put on Japanese Domestic Market cars (up to 2004 they were limited to 280 HP (PS) and 190 km/h - now they're still limited to 190 km/h, but are no longer limited to 280 HP (PS)).

So I'm basically betting that there's some Argyllian ship certification bureau somewhere that say ships from (and including) 426 standard meters in length get a 35% tax hike, probably because of something that can be traced back to Xim the Despot (let's say it's based on the required length for a military-grade mass driver or something) - and that's why it's 1 cm shorter than that limit. Because why not, and as a final "up your" to the Argyllians. Or whomever.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, that's a great in-universe explanation. The alternative is that the guy who wrote the book was having a little fun. But I like the BoSS explanation better Smile.

As for the master list, I'm simply looking at the wookieepedia asset list for the visual dictionary. People have already done a fairly good job of categorizing all the new ships, people, aliens, etc, and it gives us an easy to do list for stats (towards the bottom):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens:_The_Visual_Dictionary
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will work. Again, email me and we try to coordinate.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
What boggles my mind is that the Canon Story Group is so vague about exactly when a lot of stories and canon events take place on the timeline. And I don't even mean the post-RotJ timeline. The vagueness creates more problems with other works when exactness would prevent these problems. In some ways the continuity management is ever worse under Disney. But they can tell us this ship is 1 cm short than 426 m long? It's infuriating!

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. Considering what is still canon and what isn't, I can't help but feel that Disney's Legends move was to eliminate all obstacles to them dumbing the series down.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. Considering what is still canon and what isn't, I can't help but feel that Disney's Legends move was to eliminate all obstacles to them dumbing the series down.

And yet they create their own obstacles.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Only 185,000? Does that seem a bit low?

Keep in mind this is just the cargo bay that doubles as hangar bay. I figured it was probably big enough 4-6 Millennium Falcons stacked on one another. So I came up with an arbitrary number for what I thought would fit for a "flying warehouse".

I have also added the "lattice cargo array" which could hold another 2,020 metric tons. Giving the ship a total of 3,850,20 metric tons. That's a BUNCH!

garhkal wrote:
Also at that size i don't see it being a starfighter scale ship. I see it as a cap ship.

I had thought about this and to me "capital" means more than just "big". To me that means a ship armored up and ready to rumble. A large ship like this and the Action IV in my mind are nothing more than BIG. That doesn't make them tough. To me a single TIE should be able to blow an Action IV out of the sky by itself. That is my justification for not giving this a scale of capital but making it starfighter.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: