The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Resurgent-class Battlecruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Resurgent-class Battlecruiser Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Resurgent-class Battlecruiser Reply with quote

Quote:

Resurgent-class Battlecruiser
Craft: Kuat-Entralla Engineering Resurgent-class Battlecruiser
Type: Battlecruiser
Scale: Capital
Length: 2,915 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Resurgent
Crew: 74,000, gunners: XX (580), skeleton: 9,100/+20
Crew Skill: Astrogation 4D, capital ship gunnery 6D, capital ship piloting 6D+2, capital ship shields 5D+2, sensors 5D
Passengers: 8,130 (Stormtrooper legion)
Cargo Capacity: 65,000 metric tons
Consumables: 6 years
Cost: Not available for sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x10
Nav Computer: Yes
Space: 6
Hull: 8D
Shields: 5D
Sensors:
-- Passive: 75/1D
-- Scan: 150/3D+2
-- Search: 300/4D+1
-- Focus: 8/5D
Weapons:
64 Double Turbolaser Cannons
-- Fire Arc: 16 front, 16 left, 16 right, 16 back
-- Crew: 1
-- Skill: Capital ship gunnery
-- Scale: Starfighter
-- Fire Control: 3D
-- Space Range: 3-15/35/75
-- Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
-- Damage: 6D
55 Turbolaser Batteries
-- Fire Arc: 25 front, 15 left, 15 right
-- Crew: 1 (15), 2 (15)
-- Fire Control: 4D
-- Space Range: 3-15/36/75
-- Atmosphere Range: 6-15/72/150km
-- Damage: 6D
36 Heavy Turbolaser Cannons
-- Fire Arc: 9 front, 9 left, 9 right, 9 back
-- Crew: 2
-- Fire Control: 1D
-- Space Range: 5-20/40/60
-- Atmosphere Range: 10-20/80/120 km
-- Damage: 10D
10 Concussion Missile Tubes
-- Fire Arc: Front
-- Crew: 1
-- Fire Control: 2D
-- Space Range: 2-12/30/60
-- Atmosphere Range: 200-1.2/3/6 km
-- Damage: 9D
85 Ion Cannons
-- Fire Arc: 30 front, 20 left, 20 right, 15 back
-- Crew: 1 (15), 2 (45)
-- Fire Control: 3D
-- Space Range: 1-10/25/50
-- Atmosphere Range: 2-20/50/100 km
-- Damage: 4D+2
18 Tractor Beam Projectors
-- Fire Arc: 10 front, 4 left, 4 right
-- Crew: 1 (2), 4 (2), 10 (6)
-- Fire Control: 4D
-- Space Range: 1-5/15/30
-- Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km
-- Damage: 6D+2
Starfighter Compliment: (2) wings of starfighters: 144 TIE/fo and TIE/sf, (100) atmospheric landers.
Ground/Air Compliment: numerous ground vehicles, (1) prefabricated ground base.

Capsule: The powerful flagship used by General Hux and Kylo Ren, the Finalizer is the first of the new Resurgent-class Star Destroyers, whose size and firepower clearly violate the treaties between the New Republic and First Order governing capital ships. The Finalizer's heavy weapons are augmented by two wings of starfighters, a hundred assault craft, and a full legion of stormtroopers trained since birth for loyality to the First Order. Many in the New Republic dismiss sightings of these ships as typical Resistance fearmongering. But Leia Organa knows the Resurgent-class is all too real, and her operatives obsessively track reports of these warships.

The First Order lacks the resources to build huge numbers of massive capital ships like those that once served the Emperor. But the lessons of Imperial power have not been lost on the First Order's ship designers. The Finalizer is a devastating weapons platform and highly effective carier, but it is also a symbol of the new regime's power, designed to recall the era when Imperial might was at its greatest, and inspire awe in the First Order's enemies.

While its size evokes the command ships of the Empire, the Finalizer's design recalls those of Republic-era capital ships from the Clone Wars. Her dorsal flight deck, side hangars, amd prominent keep are similar elements of the Venator-class Star Destroyer, reflecting a renewed appreciation among the First Order tacticians for capital ships' role as carriers. The Finalizer can launch her full complement of starfighters and assault ships much more quickly than her predecessors in the Imperial Navy could. Other Imperial-era design flaws have also been rectified - the need for better-protected command bridge with increased redundancy in command and control systems was a hard lesson learned from the loss of the Executor at the Battle of Endor.

Massive turbolaser turrets and heavy ion cannons dot the flanks of the Finalizer's upper hull, with an additional brace of forward batteries set on either side of the bow. Designed for orbital assaults and slugging matches with enemy capital ships, these turbolasers can overload shields, punch through thick armor, and reduce planetary surfaces to molten slag. Smaller point-defense turrets and missile emplacements complement these heavy weapons, tracking more nimble enemies, while the Finalizer's TIEs stand ready to destroy starfighters ship-to-ship.

The Resurgent-class's turbolasers deliver more firepower than Imperial-era weapons and boast a faster recharge rate. This advantage stems from kyber focusing crystals harvested from a secret source deep in the Unknown Regions. Other First Order captains have clamored for upgrades to their own warships, but military-grade crystals are in short supply. Rumors abound that they are delivered to secret weapons labs, forbidden to all but the First Order's uppermost ranks.

Source: Star Wars Episode VII, Star Wars Episode VII Visual Dictionary, Star Wars Episode VII Incredible Cross-Sections, wookieepedia. Stats by +Oliver Queen

Original Post: 2014-Dec-19.
Updates: 2014-Dec-26, 2017-Apr-29.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to double check the crew numbers for the weapons. For instance, you list 85 ion cannons, yet the crew numbers cover only 60 of them.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, almost a year since the last post.

My question is this: Was the capsule for this from the TFA Visual Guide? because the name of a class of ship is the name of the first ship of that design. Thus, if this is the Resurgent-class star destroyer, the name of the first ship of that class is going to be named Resurgent, not Finalizer.

So is the Finalizer the second ship of the Resurgent class? Or even later?

And have the crew numbers been checked as Forceally suggested?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
My question is this: Was the capsule for this from the TFA Visual Guide? because the name of a class of ship is the name of the first ship of that design. Thus, if this is the Resurgent-class star destroyer, the name of the first ship of that class is going to be named Resurgent, not Finalizer.

So is the Finalizer the second ship of the Resurgent class? Or even later?

No, it's the first and it was new as of TFA. As the official Star Wars website indicates, Star Wars doesn't always go by that real world naval convention.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Resurgent class battlecruiser Reply with quote

You made a mistake. The resurgent armament is
1500(or 3000)quad heavy Turbolasers
1500(or 3000)heavy ion cannons
30 ventral cannons
60 point defence turrets
60 quad laser cannons
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurgent class battlecruiser Reply with quote

Captain Rex wrote:
30 ventral cannons
60 point defence turrets
60 quad laser cannons

Welcome to the Pit, Captain!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Resurgent class battlecruiser Reply with quote

Captain Rex wrote:

Certainly been known to happen, especially with a post from the month and year the movie came out. At least I would hope there would have been additional information made available in that time. I had not kept up on the information pertaining to this ship. I appreciate you pointing at my errors.

Where do these numbers come from?

Captain Rex wrote:
30 ventral cannons
60 point defence turrets
60 quad laser cannons

The numbers I have been able to verify are:

Quote:
1,500+ Turbolasers AND ion cannons (The Force Awakens secret Inside the Secret Academy)
? Point-defense turrets (Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections)
? Point-defense missile emplacements (Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections)
? Tractor beam projectors (Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections)

2 starfighter wings (Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections)
144 starfighters: TIE/fo and TIE/sf (Episode VII: The Force Awakens)

100 Atmospheric Assault Landers (Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections)
? Ground vehicles (Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections)
1 Prefabricated ground base (Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections)

? represents this type of armament is installed, but not how many.

Stats that were incorrect, that I have changed:

Quote:
Crew: 74,000, gunners: XX, skeleton: 9,100/+20
Passengers: 8,130 (Stormtrooper legion)
Cargo: 65,000 metric tons
Consumables: 6 years

Starfighter Compliment: (2) wings of starfighters: 144 TIE/fo and TIE/sf, (100) atmospheric landers.
Ground/Air Compliment: numerous ground vehicles, (1) prefabricated ground base.

XX: variable in place of the number of gunners, until number and type of armaments is figured.

I think I remember how some of the numbers were low for the amount of armaments. I used batteries which was a bank or series of close emplacements, that would work together in their fire area. I think I gave them a +1D to damage, since the Turbolasers have 6D damage. Seems if I remember correctly I calculated a bank/series to be a group of four weapon placements.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it had
1500-3000 quad heavy turbolasers and ion cannons
30 ventral cannons
60 point defense turrets
60 quad laser cannons
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are suggestions on the composition of armaments for the Resurgent-class Battlecruiser.

Quote:
1,200 Turbolasers (capital scale)
300 Ion cannons (capital scale)
70 Point-defense turrets (starship scale)
20 Point-defense missile emplacements (starship scale)
18 Tractor beam projectors (capital scale)

Gunners: 4,600

Comparing the Resurgent-class Battlecruiser to the Imperial II-class Star Destroyer:

Quote:
x1.82 cargo space
x2.2 crew
x12.5 turbolasers/ion cannons
point defense system
x2 starfighters

I do not understand how this is even possible. Sources list the Resurgent as having 1,500+ turbolasers and ion cannons (capital scale), more than twice the crew, twice as many starfighters, in a starship frame not even twice the size of a comparable vessel. Yet in the movie, when Poe and Finn escape, they are only fired upon by one or two turbolasers and one missile turret. Nothing in the movie suggests the Resurgent has anywhere near the armament stated in written sources.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we ever see *any* of the Star Destroyers open up with anything like the armaments they are supposed to have though?

Arguably in the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter games they do, but I don't think so in the movies. I think they set the armaments for the ISDs (and other capital ships) super high in the game to make it clear that there's no way a PC ship can take them on.

For that scene in TFA I suppose you could argue they don't think a single rogue fighter is worth letting rip with every gun they've got.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed pretty imperative that the escaped TIE used by Poe and Finn in TFA be re-captured. Isn't it General Hux that ordered the pulse cannons be used?

The scenes on the bridge seemed like they wanted the TIE back at all costs.

But, the scenes outside the ship, focusing on the TIE, had me thinking, "Why don't they open up with all they've got?"

Poe even says something to the effect of how they'll never get away unless they take out some of the batteries. Then they take out two--two friggin' turrets--and Poe thinks they're home free.

It doesn't make a lot of sense upon closer examination.
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most people say it has
1500-3000 quad heavy turbolasers and heavy ion cannons
? Point defence turrets
? Ventral cannons
But I found this website saying
1500-3000 quad heavy turbolasers
30 ventral cannons
60 point defence turrets
60 quad laser cannons
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Rex wrote:
Well most people say it has
1500-3000 quad heavy turbolasers and heavy ion cannons
? Point defence turrets
? Ventral cannons

Btw, welcome to the pit. Who are these most people?

Captain Rex wrote:
But I found this website saying...

Awesome! Can you please post the link so I can take a look? Thanks!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
But, the scenes outside the ship, focusing on the TIE, had me thinking, "Why don't they open up with all they've got?"

I just thought of this. The reason the guns don't open up can explained two ways or a combination of them. Gunners are not at their post as they are not in or expecting combat. I don't really like this idea much. The other is, its a TIE and it has not gone out to the ship, which is dealing with a massive explosion in a hanger bay, that an unauthorized TIE is in flight. Those who may see the ship and at their gunnery posts probably think nothing of it until specific orders come down to fire on what appears to be a "friendly" ship. The weapons could also have some type of interlock that paints targets to keep down on blue on blue mishaps.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Poe even says something to the effect of how they'll never get away unless they take out some of the batteries. Then they take out two--two friggin' turrets--and Poe thinks they're home free.

I too had a disconnect with the story at that point. I am looking at this huge ISD looking thing and they are not being shot at. Then he says they have to knockout only TWO turrets and they are home free. Then this pulse weapon is used, which acts not as an energy weapon but like a missile. Since it uses kyber crystals and I assume Starkiller Base does as well, it is not clear if the beam can actually be bent to hit its target. Doesn't really matter because it still doesn't explain how, what we assume, a pulse weapon chases down its target and makes significant course changes. Again, this sounds more like a missile than an energy weapon.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And considering how they curve their paths through space, they act like missiles. I don't remember anything about those "ventral cannons" being mag pulse weapons; I just thought they were regular old missile launchers.

And I do remember one visual exterior shot of the TIE/fo dodging laser blasts just before the last volley of two missiles get into the screen. They looked more white than green, but their short visual profiles and straight paths definitely looked like turbolaser blasts, so apparently Poe and Finn didn't take out all the laser batteries, just those two large ones, which seemed to be just enough to give PoFinn a reasonable chance of escape.

(See what I just did there?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: