The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawks_talon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When she piloted the Falcon, the script threw in the line "I don't know how I did that (force point used, wink wink)."

It was follow by," I love ships, but I never learned to fly" She would have to been rolling 6 on the wild die as well. I would have given that piloting maneuver at least one heroic. :>

May the Force be with you.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawks_talon wrote:
When she piloted the Falcon, the script threw in the line "I don't know how I did that (force point used, wink wink)."

It was follow by," I love ships, but I never learned to fly" She would have to been rolling 6 on the wild die as well. I would have given that piloting maneuver at least one heroic. :>

May the Force be with you.

Welcome to the Pit! May the Force be with you too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: TFA Reply with quote

This has been an interesting thread. No, Rey Is Not A Mary Sue. The Legends Mary Sue is Mara Jade. The Canon Mary Sue is Sabine Wren. 8)

The theatrical release of TFA has grossed well over $2 billion worldwide, and even though the movie now available on blu-ray and DVD, in my city TFA is still showing in a first-run theater. This is just a fact. This is not a statement of the film's quality because that is completely subjective. The gross does speak to the film's mass popularity. Of course mass popularity has absolutely no impact on my personal appreciation of a movie. I love and own some low-grossing movies, and I've disliked some immensely popular films. And movie critic and blogger opinions are worth no more than other individual viewer of a movie.

I do not understand the phenomena within big franchise fandom where people who dislike films cite low gross as justification for their own dislike of something, and then if the film is popular cite critical opinions of others as justification, and some even go as far as insulting people with a different opinion as an explanation for how anyone could possibly have a different opinion than theirs. There is no need to justify your opinion or dislike of something. If you don't like it, you don't like it. It doesn't matter if some of us like TFA and others don't. Liking it does not mean Disney used the Jedi Mind Trick on us and forced us to like something we otherwise wouldn't have. I'm not so easily swayed. Liking TFA means we were blessed with the ability to suspend disbelief of it and find enjoyment.

Overall I really enjoy TFA. I bought the blu-ray combo pack from Target today. Tonight my son and I watched the movie (my 7th time total seeing it), and then we watched the deleted scenes and a couple special features. Anyone else pick it up?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: TFA Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I bought the blu-ray combo pack from Target today. Tonight my son and I watched the movie (my 7th time total seeing it), and then we watched the deleted scenes and a couple special features. Anyone else pick it up?

I picked the steelbox version at Best Buy. Did you get the "bonus" version that Target had? There was also some kind of extra disc version that Walmart had as well. Anyone get it?

I watched TFA twice today with my 2 year-old son (my older kids watched it the 2nd time). Little dude loves Star Wars so much that he watches at least one movie most days.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: TFA Reply with quote

JironGhrad wrote:
I picked the steelbox version at Best Buy. Did you get the "bonus" version that Target had? There was also some kind of extra disc version that Walmart had as well. Anyone get it?

The steelbox looks cool, but after thorough consideration I decided on Target's bonus version. Wal-mart's version had a "collectible trader disc" but no additional content. The only version with the exclusive extra content was Target's. I'm not even a big fan of special features in general and don't even always watch them, but I like having them all (I guess it's the completionist in me). I haven't made it through all the TFA special features yet but I probably will watch them all eventually.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I have decided that we'll buy the movies digitally until the new trilogy is finished, then buy a boxed set.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
The wife and I have decided that we'll buy the movies digitally until the new trilogy is finished, then buy a boxed set.

I can appreciate that. And funny that you mention this. My wife actually asked me if I was going to re-buy TFA as part of a box set someday. I merely answered, "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future." She never did press the issue or explain what her concern was behind the question, and my son changed the direction of the conversation and we never came back to it.

I don't have a history of re-buying movies except for upgrading to a newer format, an even then I have only re-bought my favorite films. I still have plenty of DVDs, and I still buy some things on DVD if I don't feel I need it on blu-ray. I also still have a small library of VHS tapes and an operational VCR hooked up to both of our TVs. I didn't buy the LOTR trilogy films individually, but I did buy both box set versions (theatrical and expanded) on blu-ray as they became available. For the Hobbit, I bought each theatrical film individually on DVD (the first two so I could re-watch them before the next film came out in the theater), and then waited for the expanded box set to buy it on blu-ray. Those three theatrical Hobbit DVDs, and the three individual Nolan Batman blu-rays are sitting unboxed on my movie shelf.

So my frugal nature would like to believe that I won't someday re-buy TFA as part of a box set. But who knows?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to someday buying an attractive 6-movie set consisting of the Original Unaltered Trilogy plus the Sequel Trilogy. 8)
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally didn't like The Force Awakens, generally because nothing really made sense and the movie fails on it's own internal continuity.

For me one of the biggest failings was not having more of Bo Dameron. I was super excited when I saw him. It was the same feeling I got when I first saw Indiana Jones. Oscar Isaac has a very powerful screen presence and lots of charisma. I was thinking, this is the guy that is going to take us through this new vision of Star Wars, that he would round up our team and get them on the path to being heroes, and then they side lined him.

With everything they had, the movie should have been better and more meaningful, but it wasn't.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFA wasnt the best movie i've seen this year (now that i've seen Civil War) but it was okay....a little part of wants to call TFA some Legacy Era (100 ABY) 'based on a true story' thing that gets all the facts totally wrong and has long lived species like wookies that were around then going 'THAT NEVER HAPPENED ! who the heck is Rey....where are the REST of the freaking jedi....argh i HATE holo makers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder. Would TPTB be willing to make a SW film based on say the "Tales of the Jedi time frame, the Great Sith/Jedi war? Maybe one focused on some of the older warlords, such as Zim the despot..
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zim would be fun to see.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I wonder. Would TPTB be willing to make a SW film based on say the "Tales of the Jedi time frame, the Great Sith/Jedi war? Maybe one focused on some of the older warlords, such as Zim the despot..

Disney has said there is no end to Star Wars movies in sight, so I think it is inevitable that they will eventually deal with the past before TPM. Perhaps not entire trilogies, but standalone films could go there. However Xim and TotJ are Legends so it would most likely be "inspired by" rather than "based on". And there is a huge difference between TotJ (5,000-3986 BBY) and Xim (over 20,000 years earlier than TotJ).

I think those time periods are best left to novels and comic books. Part of my suspension of disbelief of Star Wars is not seeing too far in the past because a galactic civilization over 25,000 years old is hard enough to wrap my head around as it is. Human beings on Earth have changed drastically over the course of the last hundreds of years and even more so over the last thousands of years, so it would really strain credulity for me to see humans in the Star Wars galaxy from a very long time before the prequels. And how little Star Wars technology has advanced in that amount of time is another big unrealism for me. Where were we 1,000 years ago? 4,000 years ago? Compare that to now. What will human civilization on Earth be like in 1,000 years from now. It's unfathomable, like trying to imagine the Star Wars galaxy 1,000 in the future of the films.

I wouldn't mind seeing a standalone film about the defeat of the Sith and the reformation of the Republic 1,000 years before the films (Darth Bane era). But any further back then that would probably be too much for me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Part of my suspension of disbelief of Star Wars is not seeing too far in the past because a galactic civilization over 25,000 years old is hard enough to wrap my head around as it is. Human beings on Earth have changed drastically over the course of the last hundreds of years and even more so over the last thousands of years, so it would really strain credulity for me to see humans in the Star Wars galaxy from a very long time before the prequels. And how little Star Wars technology has advanced in that amount of time is another big unrealism for me. Where were we 1,000 years ago? 4,000 years ago? Compare that to now. What will human civilization on Earth be like in 1,000 years from now? It's unfathomable, like trying to imagine the Star Wars galaxy 1,000 in the future of the films.

Not arguing with you, but some of my own rationale...

Part of what keeps humans relatively stable over the millenia is space travel and interconnected genepools. So, the humans of Alderaan might start edging towards adaptations, but they get an influx of blood from Corellia, Coruscant, Dantooine, etc., which tends to mash that down. When you pile technology on top of that (i.e. "Possible adaptive advantages are negated by technology"), you wind up with a very large, relatively stable, gene pool. Sure, there are exceptions, but they get rolled under "Near Humans".

As for technological stability, I wonder if the Star Wars universe isn't one that is more or less stalled at something close to "peak technology"... they won't develop more because they've reached the physical limits of their technology tree. To advance further, they need a revolutionary technology, that can only really come from outside or from someone mucking about for centuries with ancient, discarded, technologies. From what I understand, the Vong would be a way to introduce things like that.

In contrasting to Star Trek, I have long seen the SWG as being one of limitless energy, but limited by material things... I can produce immense amounts of power, or power over a very long period of time (q.v. droids that are active for centuries, lightsabers, Death Star Cannons), but I probably have to import everything. STG, on the other hand, tends to wind up with energy limitations, but not stuff limitations... I can materialize food out of energy, but have to find some way to power that energy converter.

Again, not saying you're wrong, just approaching some of how I rationalize the relative parity between KOTOR and TFA.

(For peak geek, I got left alone for a while this weekend. I played KOTOR and Uprising while watching TFA... after that, I started The Clone Wars series).
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nexx. That perspective helps a little, but it is still my first choice to not see drastically different time periods in Star Wars. But then again, I am free to disregard anything I don't like and not let it poison what I do like.

Since there is no end to Star Wars films in sight, it is likely a day will come where I feel they've just gone too far with the movies and I'll draw a line. But then again, maybe not, because my fandom has survived Lucas' corrections and oddball tweaks, the prequels, and TFA, long outlasting the average fan from my original SW generation that still parties like it's 1996.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: