The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
So, what's the line here on R2-D2? Why did he "wake up" at the most dramatic point? Why didn't he perk up the first time BB-8 was around, before the attack on Starkiller base?

Apparently, Artoo was in low power mode because he was reviewing his own databanks for the rest of the map to find Luke Skywalker.

Although why it would take an astromech six years to perform a file search of its own databanks is beyond me. Artoo must have a sh!tton of data to review if that's the case. Shocked Confused
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
So, what's the line here on R2-D2? Why did he "wake up" at the most dramatic point? Why didn't he perk up the first time BB-8 was around, before the attack on Starkiller base?

Apparently, Artoo was in low power mode because he was reviewing his own databanks for the rest of the map to find Luke Skywalker.

Although why it would take an astromech six years to perform a file search of its own databanks is beyond me. Artoo must have a sh!tton of data to review if that's the case. Shocked Confused

Bear in mind that he may not have had a memory wipe since 32 BBY (Just before the Battle of Naboo; this assumes regular memory wipes before that time were standard). Since he started in 28 ABY, we're looking at 60 years worth of memories to go through.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Bear in mind that he may not have had a memory wipe since 32 BBY (Just before the Battle of Naboo; this assumes regular memory wipes before that time were standard). Since he started in 28 ABY, we're looking at 60 years worth of memories to go through.

Ehhhhh... a droid that can calculate a hyperspace jump - which requires pretty complex mathematics - shouldn't be in a low power mode to find a file. You don't see Threepio sitting there as his harddrive buffers whenever he speaks one of six million forms of communication.

All it is is bad writing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Time delay setting?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six years!

I knew Skywalker had been missing a bit, but I didn't know it was six years.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Time delay setting?

The fact that he'd been offline for years and took ages to boot back up.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:

This reminds me of all the bashing of AotC over Threepio in ANH not remembering having lived on Tatooine on the Lars homestead with Owen. It was a "plot hole" and "bad writing". Then in the next movie it shows Threepio getting a memory wipe of everything before assigned to Captain Antilles.

We simply do not yet know why Artoo suddenly woke up from low power mode when he did. He could have been programmed to reboot and start back up when he heard a certain keyword or phrase. Who knows? It hasn't been revealed yet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
WillTasker wrote:

This reminds me of all the bashing of AotC over Threepio in ANH not remembering having lived on Tatooine on the Lars homestead with Owen. It was a "plot hole" and "bad writing". Then in the next movie it shows Threepio getting a memory wipe of everything before assigned to Captain Antilles.

We simply do not yet know why Artoo suddenly woke up from low power mode when he did. He could have been programmed to reboot and start back up when he heard a certain keyword or phrase. Who knows? It hasn't been revealed yet.

+1. This is quite true. The saga has had a number of things that didn't seem apparent at first in the beginning, but later movies made huge reveals that made the story make more sense in hindsight. Hell, that's what Rogue One practically runs on.

And I don't remember who said it or how, but one of the writers of the sequel trilogy said that there is a very specific reason why Rey's and Finn's parentage is presently unknown and will be revealed later on in the trilogy.

Personally, in light of that statement and how TFA specifically has Finn mention "like all [stormtroopers], I was taken from a family I'll never know," I came up with a fan theory that Finn might very well be Lando Calrissian's son. This both makes sense to me and feels like something a hack writer would come up with, so I can't claim it has any likelihood of being true. Also, although I don't make it a habit of examining Star Wars fan theories, I both haven't heard anyone suggest this (but I haven't looked very hard to see if anyone did say it), and I think that alot of people must be thinking it even if no one directly mentioned it.

But what do I know? I'm happy to sit back and watch the movies as they come out and let the story play out at its own pace.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Personally, in light of that statement and how TFA specifically has Finn mention "like all [stormtroopers], I was taken from a family I'll never know," I came up with a fan theory that Finn might very well be Lando Calrissian's son. This both makes sense to me and feels like something a hack writer would come up with, so I can't claim it has any likelihood of being true. Also, although I don't make it a habit of examining Star Wars fan theories, I both haven't heard anyone suggest this (but I haven't looked very hard to see if anyone did say it), and I think that alot of people must be thinking it even if no one directly mentioned it.

You don't have to white-text fan speculation as if it were spoilers. Before TFA came out, a friend at a party mentioned the fan theory of Finn being Lando's son. I hope that isn't true. All black galactic heroes should be related? Does every character need to be related to another character? I'd much rather have Lando himself in the film, but it looks like he won't be in TLJ either.

Sutehp wrote:
I'm happy to sit back and watch the movies as they come out and let the story play out at its own pace.

Amen. I even hope that they stop making one every year and slow down the release schedule.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You don't have to white-text fan speculation as if it were spoilers. Before TFA came out, a friend at a party mentioned the fan theory of Finn being Lando's son. I hope that isn't true. All black galactic heroes should be related? Does every character need to be related to another character? I'd much rather have Lando himself in the film, but it looks like he won't be in TLJ either.

Yeah, I agree that making all the black characters related would be silly, but in the Star Wars movies we only have two black major characters, Lando and Finn, so it's probably inevitable that people would make that connection especially after the writers said that there's a reason that Finn's parentage is unknown.

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
I'm happy to sit back and watch the movies as they come out and let the story play out at its own pace.

Amen. I even hope that they stop making one every year and slow down the release schedule.

Eh, I'm not unhappy with a Star Wars film coming out every year, especially if some of them are anthology movies that are not part of the trilogies. I remember having to wait three years between ANH-TESB and TESB-ROTJ. Gawds, the three year wait between TESB-ROTJ was ridiculously annoying as we had to wait to find out for sure whether Vader really was Luke's father. I'm fine waiting two years between sequel trilogy movies if it means we get an anthology movie in the interim.

Hell, I can't wait to see the Han Solo film for several reasons, but the main reason I wanna see it is because Emilia Clarke is in it.

*Jawa voice* KHALEESI! */Jawa voice*

Yeah, knowing that we have another Star Wars film with Emilia friggin' Clarke in it will make the wait between TLJ and Ep 9 much easier to take.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, I agree that making all the black characters related would be silly, but in the Star Wars movies we only have two black major characters, Lando and Finn

Some would consider Mace Windu to be a major black character, but no he wasn't quite as major as Lando who dramatically lead the Battle of Endor in space.

Sutehp wrote:
the writers said that there's a reason that Finn's parentage is unknown.

The first thing I thought of when Finn said "Like all of them, I was taken from a family I'll never know" was that the First Order stormtrooper corps (and perhaps the Empire) adopted the Jedi Order practice of taking young toddlers from their parents. I don't think that Finn would be a rarity among stormtroopers in not knowing who their parents are. I don't think Finn's parentage has to be significant to the story, but we'll see.

Sutehp wrote:
Eh, I'm not unhappy with a Star Wars film coming out every year, especially if some of them are anthology movies that are not part of the trilogies. I remember having to wait three years between ANH-TESB and TESB-ROTJ. Gawds, the three year wait between TESB-ROTJ was ridiculously annoying as we had to wait to find out for sure whether Vader really was Luke's father. I'm fine waiting two years between sequel trilogy movies if it means we get an anthology movie in the interim.

In Star Wars 1.0, we not only had three years in between trilogy episodes but 16 years between trilogies. I was perfectly fine with SW films being done in 2005.

I'd be perfectly fine with SW films only coming out every other year, but no I wouldn't want to wait four years in between episodic films. They really don't have to stay on the alternating schedule of episode/anthology films. After Episode IX, they should take a break from trilogies and make anthology films every couple years. Then when it is time for a new trilogy, just release those episodes every other year without anthology films in between.

Now we are only two films into Star Wars 2.0 and Disney is 2 for 2 in my book, but this won't last forever. I'm usually not too cynical, but I feel it is unfortunately inevitable that the Star Wars franchise will be run completely into the ground and start to suck, sooner or later. Slowing down the film release schedule to every other year is delaying the inevitable.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having one a year.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Same here. Gives me a Dec film to look forward to!
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Same here. Gives me a Dec film to look forward to!

I will be thrilled when Star Wars movies goes back to May (currently scheduled for Han Solo next year if there are no production delays). I really don't like Star Wars being in the midst of the holidays.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, spring/summer's already usually overloaded with big blockbusters. THat's why i like having ONE to look forward to around the dec time frame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: