The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

When will you first see The Force Awakens ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> When will you first see The Force Awakens ? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: When will you first see The Force Awakens ? Reply with quote

On posting TFA spoilers...

Cheshire posted a reminder on how to make text that needs highlighted to see clearly, and that got me thinking about how long we should be doing that.

Do you already have your tickets?
When do you plan on seeing TFA?
What is your internet strategy? Will you avoid social media and Star Wars sites until you see the film? Will you avoid this site?
How long should we use the spolier text color thing here?

I already have tickets for my first three viewings. I am first seeing the film with my wife the evening of Thursday Dec 17 in the Eastern USA timezone. The world premier is in the Pacific USA timezone on Dec 14, presumably sometime in the evening. Even though that will mostly be celebrities and other people that worked on the film, I still don't trust that someone or their date will blab so I will begin my complete total media exile in the afternoon of Dec 14, including not even coming here. I may be online the night of Dec 17 after seeing the film, but maybe not because the internet will be flooded with info and discussion I don't want to get too involved that night because I have to get up the next morning and take my son to school before seeing the film again with a longtime friend (since before RotJ came out), who I've seen every Star Wars movie with since 1997 (He has to work Thursday night so can't see it until Friday).

From what I've read, some of you may not see TFA until Christmas. I think it would be reasonable to use the spoiler text color thing until Jan 4, but if everyone here will see the movie before then or won't come to this site until they do see it, then maybe we don't have to make an effort to protect everyone from spoilers for that long. Please chime in and let us know!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do i already have tickets, no

When do i plan to see it. Tuesday the 22nd.

What is my internet strategy.. I will try to stay away from spoilers, but i realize that may not be at all possible.

Will i avoid social media sites? Depends on what you term social media.. If you are on about facebook/twitter/myspace etc, then since i am not even on them, that would be a YES i would be avoiding them.

Will i avoid this site. Nope. Just like i didn't during the time frame of the prequels.

How long should we use spoiler tags?? I would say till the beginning of the new year..
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Do i already have tickets, no

When do i plan to see it. Tuesday the 22nd.

What is my internet strategy.. I will try to stay away from spoilers, but i realize that may not be at all possible.

Will i avoid social media sites? Depends on what you term social media.. If you are on about facebook/twitter/myspace etc, then since i am not even on them, that would be a YES i would be avoiding them.

Yes, that is what I meant for social media, some place where people share things. I know you don't do Facebook, but I've added a lot of Star Wars related pages in my news feeds in Facebook and Google+, plus I am friends with lots of other SW fans, so for me social media is an easy place to get something spoiled that wasn't so omnipresent back in 2005 and before.

garhkal wrote:
Will i avoid this site. Nope. Just like i didn't during the time frame of the prequels.

How long should we use spoiler tags?? I would say till the beginning of the new year..

Thanks for your input. Anyone else?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tickets for the Thursday the 17th, 7 pm show.

I will attempt to not post any spoilers, and content myself with Reading others posts of that kind.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
On posting TFA spoilers...

Cheshire posted a reminder on how to make text that needs highlighted to see clearly, and that got me thinking about how long we should be doing that.

Yes. I've got mine for the Saturday of opening weekend. The kids still think that the show is sold out, and I haven't yet corrected that misapprehension. That may make me some kind of terrible person, but they think surprises are fun.

Quote:

What is your internet strategy? Will you avoid social media and Star Wars sites until you see the film?

My internet strategy is pretty much involving not clicking on links that are discussing any speculation or anything new. I'm avoiding clickbait and anything catchy. I'm avoiding forums where there is rampant speculation.

The hard part is trying to navigate social situations where friends who are devouring rumors and spoilers, and in their enthusiasm want to talk about their speculations. When you're talking to someone face to face, you can't close their browser tab. Smile
Quote:

Will you avoid this site?

I'm going to be very careful on it between the 14th and the 19th. But I should be here.
Quote:

You recommended the January 4th date, and that seems pretty reasonable. Two and a half weeks is a generous portion of time without it being burdensome to those discussing plot points. And it isn't as though the whole site is going to discuss nothing but TFA spoilers. Only a certain segment of the posts should need the spoiler text.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrie Fisher had her dog, Garry, with her for the screening of the film. She says he wasn't like this before the film, and it will do this to all of us.

I think I love that woman.
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: When will you first see The Force Awakens ? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

No. Waiting for next payday. Desired screening remains open.

Whill wrote:

Wife and I intend to see Dec 26. Family will be in town so no need to pay for childcare. Friends invited me to screening Dec 20. May go to that if I get desperate.

Whill wrote:
What is your internet strategy?

No strategy, really. I've been watching trailers and engaging in my own speculation but little else. I imagine I'll be more careful about link-clicking during that week following release but if I'm off work and home with family as planned, I probably won't have much time for internet browsing anyhow!

Whill wrote:
Will you avoid social media and Star Wars sites until you see the film?

Not altogether, but likely to limit.

Whill wrote:
Will you avoid this site?

No. Why would I avoid this haven of civility? Very Happy

Whill wrote:

I leave that to others to decide. I'm not generally bothered by spoilers and will not hold others responsible for preservation of my viewing enjoyment.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys must be much less bothered by spoilers than I am. In 1980, I was playing outside with a step-cousin and he had already seen TESB before me. While he didn't spoil Vader's revelation, he did tell me Luke gets his hand cut off. OK, not really a huge deal.

The worse one was spoiling myself. In 1999, the soundtrack to TPM came out days before the film and I bought it, thinking that the music wouldn't spoil anything. I didn't even have to listen to the music when I looked at the track titles and saw "Qui-Gon's Noble End". D'oh! The top billed actor's character would die in the first Star Wars movie in 16 years, and I knew it days before I saw the new film. Why did I not think of that spoiling the movie? Live and learn.

With the internet these days I'm just not taking chances. Not click on links? I'm worried about bold and blatant thread/post titles with spoilers. Not so much here, but on Facebook where I imagine those things most likely to occur. I've got so many Star Wars pages in my newsfeed, and I just don't trust everyone to follow internet etiquette if things start leaking December 14th. If even the soundtrack track listing leaks, I know it is going to be plastered all over the internet with rampant speculation. A lot of fans are just rabid beasts chomping at the bit for anything, and share things.

When Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, my wife and I turned off our TV, computers and phones, then went to the bookstore Friday at midnight and picked up our 2 reserved copies, then went home and went to bed without cracking them open. Then we got up together Saturday morning, made coffee, had a quick breakfast and then each started reading our copies. I read only slightly faster than her so we stayed pretty even chapter per chapter. We breaked for meals, showers and restroom. We didn't turn on the TV or computers or phones. We didn't go outside. I think we finished the book on Sunday morning, and then we ended our media exile. I went down the road and donated my duplicate reading copy to the local library which had a was a very long reserve list of people waiting to read the book that just couldn't afford to buy it. Of course when we turned on the TV, computers and phones, everything was Harry Potter, so we were wise to become hermits. It's not even that we were rabid fans that couldn't wait to read it. It's just that we didn't want it spoiled by anyone who read it before us.

The Force Awakens phenomenon is much, much bigger than the Deathly Hallows book 8 years ago (which I feel is a classic of western civilization worthy of all the hype). A quick 'Luke Skywalker is blank blank blank' on the internet is all it takes to ruin something. You can't unlearn spoilers. I think I'm wise to be so cautious. Seeing a new Star Wars movie is something you can only experience a handful of times in your life, and each new movie you can only see once for the first time.

Truth be told, I'm a little worried about not seeing the film until 8:00 because an hour before the end of my showing will be the time the 7:00 showings let out in the same theater. All it takes is one a-hole to run into my screen and blurt out something about the end of the movie. It was a calculated risk because all I could get for 7:00 was the front row far corner, 'put a crink in your neck and get a migraine' seats and that would be a crappy first experience. So I got good seats at 8:00. I hope I am just being paranoid!

cheshire wrote:
The kids still think that the show is sold out, and I haven't yet corrected that misapprehension. That may make me some kind of terrible person, but they think surprises are fun.

That's awesome.

cheshire wrote:
I'm going to be very careful on it between the 14th and the 19th. But I should be here.

You recommended the January 4th date, and that seems pretty reasonable. Two and a half weeks is a generous portion of time without it being burdensome to those discussing plot points. And it isn't as though the whole site is going to discuss nothing but TFA spoilers. Only a certain segment of the posts should need the spoiler text.

I fully expect traffic to pick up here for a while after the film comes out. I'm sure a good handful of infrequent users or ones that have just been a way for while will show up to chime in. Hopefully the film will be inspiring to Star Wars D6 gamers.

The Jan 4 date takes us through the holiday weekends which seem to be popular times for people to see movies.

cheshire wrote:
I think I love that woman.

I know.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading Game of Thrones, I fear no spoiler source more than my own wife. She reads about 4x faster than I do, due to some minor dyslexia issues, however I retain more.

This leads to the almost comedic conversations, where she asks me to clarify some detail about an important event that I still haven't read.

She will not be seeing the movie until Christmas Day, so I am safe.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The worse one was spoiling myself. In 1999, the soundtrack to TPM came out days before the film and I bought it, thinking that the music wouldn't spoil anything. I didn't even have to listen to the music when I looked at the track titles and saw "Qui-Gon's Noble End". D'oh! The top billed actor's character would die in the first Star Wars movie in 16 years, and I knew it days before I saw the new film. Why did I not think of that spoiling the movie? Live and learn.

I know that very experience. I did not appreciate that. I've been trying to avoid just such things in the lead up to this movie. But really, Star Wars has been better about not spoiling itself this time around. Most of the big moments felt like they were already spoiled before we got to the theater with the prequels.

Whill wrote:

With the internet these days I'm just not taking chances. Not click on links? I'm worried about bold and blatant thread/post titles with spoilers. Not so much here, but on Facebook where I imagine those things most likely to occur.

Oh, good point. This is currently the only Star Wars forum I frequent these days. So it doesn't so much matter. But I see why that would be an issue. Though I will be avoiding FB on Friday as not to get accidental spoilers in the way of "reviews" that my friends post.

Whill wrote:

Truth be told, I'm a little worried about not seeing the film until 8:00 because an hour before the end of my showing will be the time the 7:00 showings let out in the same theater. All it takes is one a-hole to run into my screen and blurt out something about the end of the movie. It was a calculated risk because all I could get for 7:00 was the front row far corner, 'put a crink in your neck and get a migraine' seats and that would be a crappy first experience. So I got good seats at 8:00. I hope I am just being paranoid!

Truth be told -- and I would NEVER do this again as a mature adult -- I kinda did something like that after seeing X-Men. When I walked out of the theater, I was very aware of the line for the next showing, RIGHT THERE. And I angrily said to the friend next to me, "I cannot BELIEVE they killed off Wolvarine!"

I mean, completely an untrue "spoiler," but nonetheless, I'd never do that again as a more developed human being.

Fortunately, I'll be going to the first showing of the day on Saturday. So this will be less of an issue for us.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
But really, Star Wars has been better about not spoiling itself this time around. Most of the big moments felt like they were already spoiled before we got to the theater with the prequels.

That's a good point. First of all, the very nature of the these new sequels is different than prequels which are based on backstory. Disregarding the EU and Lucas' proposed story treatments really did give them a completely open canvas to work with and go in a completely unknown direction.

And secondly, they are trying to keep most everything under wraps this time. I remember Lucas even revealed more details about the prequel films in advance than what we knew absolutely had to happen by our knowledge of the classic films. And I applaud Disney for intentionally holding off on the key tie-in products until Dec 18 or after. Not because I don't have the willpower to resist buying the novelization and soundtrack before I see the film, but just because other people have no desire to remain unspoiled and many of those don't care about any spoiling anyone else. One of my best friend's stepbrothers actually bought and read the entire novelization to TPM before seeing the film. I can understand reading an original book before seeing a movie based on the book (I try to do that myself), but Star Wars is first and foremost films that all other products are based on. What a way to ruin your first-time movie experience, even if you don't spoil it for anyone else.

I will see the movie Thursday night and again Friday morning, and after those two viewings I then intend to go to the stores and pick up some of the tie-ins, providing I don't hate the film.

cheshire wrote:
Truth be told -- and I would NEVER do this again as a mature adult -- I kinda did something like that after seeing X-Men. When I walked out of the theater, I was very aware of the line for the next showing, RIGHT THERE. And I angrily said to the friend next to me, "I cannot BELIEVE they killed off Wolvarine!"

I mean, completely an untrue "spoiler," but nonetheless, I'd never do that again as a more developed human being.

That's funny! It reminds me of when I was a kid and came out of the theater for Star Trek: The Voyage Home to people in a long line for the later showing. I loudly gushed about how awesome it was, but I didn't give any spoilers and I was being honest with how much I loved it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Everybody look what's going down Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You guys must be much less bothered by spoilers than I am.

For me it depends on the IP in question. Regarding this one in particular, my laissez-faire approach is probably naive and foolhardy.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, will be seeing a 7pm showing on December 17th, at a local, downtown theater. Then I'll go see it again in a couple weeks in IMAX 3D, just because. It's bloody STAR WARS, man!!!
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.45 on Thursday the 17th. I have my tickets. Smile

Not overly worried about spoilers.

The cool thing is, the city I work for is having special free screenings of ANH, ESB, and ROJ for employees and their families on the 13th, 14th, and 15th. Very Happy Happy, happy joy joy!
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the Mouse, as many of you know already, and have been given the opportunity for an advance screening, for employees only (unfortunately no family members allowed), prior to the main release...

I am, however, choosing to wait and see the film with my family, particularly my kids who are HUGE Star Wars fans (I mean HUGE, like, Second Death Star HUGE, and they are enjoying all aspects of Star Wars, including a little D6 Lite)... It's a choice not made lightly, my kids made me pinky swear we'd see it together (this was before they learned I would have the chance for an advance screening!) so I am bound by that. Smile

We have no firm plans for WHEN we will see it at this time, but neither I nor my kids are overly concerned with spoilers, my kids are very pragmatic and will enjoy the film when we get to see it, no matter what rumors or spoilers have come before hand.

My kids are awesome... Very Happy

But I hate to say, I've gotten too old to stand in line for hours, or in some cases camp out over night, for screenings. I've done many in my lifetime, and nowadays I'm more of the mind that I'll see it when I see it.

T.C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: