The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have not had light repeaters show up?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
those have appeared so rarely in my game
garhkal wrote:

Not too much but light repeaters and e-webs have appeared. I'm pretty sure I've never had a medium repeating baster in my game at all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a possible solution:

Let "stunned for 2D minutes" be the result of a "killed" result, and let all lesser stun damage mimich the effects of "real" damage, but for a (very) temporary interval.

For example, a result of "stunned" only imposes a -1D penalty on the target's next action... as opposed to the next whole round.

A result of wounded lasts one round.

Incapacitated is unconscious for 1D rounds.

And mortally wounded is unconscious for 1D minutes.

...or something like that.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Whill wrote:
those have appeared so rarely in my game
garhkal wrote:

Not too much but light repeaters and e-webs have appeared. I'm pretty sure I've never had a medium repeating baster in my game at all.

I have often had light-medium repeaters set up for imperial base defense, when e-webs might be seen as overkill.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stun Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Here is a possible solution:

Let "stunned for 2D minutes" be the result of a "killed" result, and let all lesser stun damage mimich the effects of "real" damage, but for a (very) temporary interval.

For example, a result of "stunned" only imposes a -1D penalty on the target's next action... as opposed to the next whole round.

A result of wounded lasts one round.

Incapacitated is unconscious for 1D rounds.

And mortally wounded is unconscious for 1D minutes.

...or something like that.

I like it.

Here's my version:

D = Damage roll
R = Damage Resistance roll (strength to resist damage)
= no effect
S = Stunned
U = Unconscious (Stun Damage)
U+A = Unconscious with Stun Aftereffect
W+U = Wounded and Unconscious
normal damage / stun damage

CHARACTER DAMAGE CHART

.D≤R. . S /

.D>R . Wound Status
. 1-7. . W / S
.8-10. . I / U
11-14. M / U+A
. 15+ . K / W+U

STUN DAMAGE WOUND STATUS EFFECTS AND ACCUMULATION

A stunned character suffers a penalty of -1D to skill and attribute rolls for the rest of the round and for the next round. A stun no longer penalizes a character after the second round, but it is still "affecting" him for half an hour unless the character rests for one minute. If a character is being "affected" from a number of stuns equal to the number before the "D" of the character's stamina, the character is knocked unconscious for 2D minutes. Another character making an Easy first aid total can revive a character rendered unconscious (by stun accumulation) early. A character who is unconscious for at least 2 minutes is no longer being "affected" by any prior stuns.

A character knocked unconscious from stun damage falls prone and is unconscious for 2D minutes. If a character already unconscious from stun damage receives any additional unconscious results, the character is unconscious for an additional 2D minutes for each. A character knocked unconscious from stun damage cannot normally be awoken early without medical intervention.

A character knocked unconscious with stun aftereffect falls prone and is unconscious for 2D minutes. Upon awaking, the character suffers a new stun damage "aftereffect" penalty of -1D to skill and attribute rolls for 2D minutes. This extended stunned result counts as one stun for "affecting" stun accumulation (as described in the description of stunned above). The "aftereffect" remains even if the character falls unconscious again and wakes up before the aftereffect period expires. If the character suffers the unconscious with stun aftereffect result again, the "aftereffects" are cumulative and each expire on their own schedule.

A wounded and unconscious character falls prone with the combination of two individual effects: wounded and unconscious.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up.
One quibble:

Resting for 1 minute cures the stun, while being unconscious requires 2 minutes to overcome the effects. Seems like being unconscious should count as resting... or else require 2 minutes of waking rest to overcome the stun?
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Thumbs up.
One quibble:

Resting for 1 minute cures the stun, while being unconscious requires 2 minutes to overcome the effects. Seems like being unconscious should count as resting... or else require 2 minutes of waking rest to overcome the stun?

That's a fair question. The 1 minute of waking rest comes from RAW, and I just added the clarification that being unconscious for at least 2 minutes is an additional way to overcome the "affected" stun accumulation. Unconscious as a wound status is unconscious for 2D minutes. I got the 2 minutes from the minimum roll on 2D since an unconscious character can be brought to consciousness early. If you are knocked unconscious, regaining consciousness is overcoming what you knocked you unconscious. The one minute of waking rest is to nullify the "affected" stun accumulation that may put you unconscious. Since the minimum time for (naturally) waking up from being rendered unconscious (without intervention) is 2 minutes, I thought that 2 minutes unconscious would be a good minimum to also take care of the any "affected" stun accumulation.

So waking up after at least 2 minutes unconscious overcomes both being unconscious and also the "affected" stun accumulation. If you do not have to also overcome being unconscious (meaning you are already conscious), then 1 minute of waking rest will do it. If you are rendered unconscious then unnaturally brought to consciousness before 2 minutes, you were brought to consciousness earlier than the minimum time to naturally do so, so you would still need to rest for 1 minute to overcome any "affected" stun accumulation from the last 30 minutes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what would be the dividing line, insofar as what weapons are Stun-capable and which are not? Might that be another distinction between the Blaster Rifle/Carbine and the Heavy Blaster Rifle/Carbine, in that, to increase the damage from 5D to 6D, it also required deleting the capacity to inflict Stun damage?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, what would be the dividing line, insofar as what weapons are Stun-capable and which are not? Might that be another distinction between the Blaster Rifle/Carbine and the Heavy Blaster Rifle/Carbine, in that, to increase the damage from 5D to 6D, it also required deleting the capacity to inflict Stun damage?

Going with the real-world comparisons to blasters that have been established on the threads here, i"d suggest a rule of thumb:

If it's not a weapon you'd put a 'silencer' (sound suppressor) on, then no stun.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In d20, its a case by case basis: some heavy blaster pistols have it, some don't. Some blaster rifles have it, some don't, etc.

When acquiring a new weapon, you could just ask the GM if the weapon has a stun feature, at which point, the above rule of thumb, plus the GM's whim is, IMO, a good fall back.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

For ME, i say heavy pistols/regular rifles/carbines and lower are stun capable (5d+2 and lower damage), while anything 6d and up are not cause of the mods they have had..
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rule of thumb is that stun settings are available on most hand held blasters. Some cheap outer rim weapons do not have stun settings, and will have that reflected in the price. My in universe technobabble for why repeaters do not normally have galven pattern dampener sleeves for stun settings is that they tend to get really hot and cost a lot once you cross the 5d damage line, or engage in autofire. They exist, but are an add on. That is also why powerful weapons usually don't have them. If you upgrade your blaster rifle to shoot 6d blaster bolts but have a 5d rated galven pattern dampening sleeve on the weapon still and fire stun bolts you are looking to blow yourself up. If you don't blow yourself up, you risk fusing the pattern dampening sleeve to the galven assembly and having to replace both parts.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back and made some stat changes:
    1). Added "Normal or Stun" to the Damage rating for all Blaster Pistols and the Blaster Rifle and Carbine.

2). Added the notation that Auto-Fire weapons can use the Auto-Fire dice up to 3x per round.

3). Increased the range on the Light Laser Cannon to fit my uniform range system.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that your medium repeater has an ammo of 25. I take it you meant 250?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I just noticed that your medium repeater has an ammo of 25. I take it you meant 250?

Good catch. My only problem with 250 is that it isn't evenly divisible by 20, so the 13th burst fired would get shorted by 10 rounds.

Going by the same standard as the Blaster Rifle and Heavy Blaster Rifle, the Light and Medium Repeaters would use the same power packs, but the Medium would consume ammo at twice the rate per shot. As such, it would be better to adjust the Light Repeater down to 400 or up to 600, so that the Medium Repeater could be given either 200 or 300. Personally, I'm inclined more toward the higher numbers, as part of my theory on the popularity of blasters vs firearms is their greater ammo capacity.

Also, I'm thinking of using the term "power pod" for drum-style magazines on Repeaters, to differentiate between them and standard power packs...

EDIT: Changes made.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: