The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

With regards to the RAW's standard personal weaponry, there are some weapons that seem relatively useless, as in "why would anyone take A when B is available?" I have some thoughts on the matter, along with some stat change suggestions, that might make some of the weapons more viable.

Hold-Out Blaster
Change: +1D to Initiative and Hide, due to small size.
Reason: Based solely on its stats, a Hold-Out is pretty useless in a fight involving any heavier weapon. However, its small size lends itself well to concealment and reaction time, even though this is not reflected in its stats.

Sporting Blaster Pistol
Change: Change the Range to 3-20/60/120
Reason: Both in the real world and the SWU, sporting pistols are configured for accuracy at range, yet the blaster pistol has double the range of the sporting blaster. Increasing the Sporting Blaster's range (and decreasing the Blaster Pistol's range; see below) makes the Sporting Blaster Pistol more viable for the character who favors accuracy at range.

Blaster Pistol
Changes:
-Reduce Range to 3-10/30/60
-Reduce Ammo from 100 to 50
Reasons:
-Basically swaps ranges with the Sporting Blaster Pistol, making it more of a compromise between the Sporting Blaster Pistol and the Heavy Blaster Pistol.
-The description of the sporting blaster pistol says it uses the same basic power pack as other pistols, but results in less damage and less range. Reducing the ammo for the Blaster Pistol results in (IMO) a more equitable balance between the three main types of blaster pistols:
    A - Standard Damage, Range and Ammo
    B - Lower Damage and Higher Range, but Same Ammo
    C - Higher Damage, Slightly Lower Range and Reduced Ammo

Blaster Carbine
Changes:
-Switch the "Retractable Stock" rule from the Blaster Rifle to the Carbine.
-Add stat Auto-Fire: 1D
Reasons:
-In the real world, a common feature of a carbine is a retractable stock, not always in the same manner as the folding stock seen in the SWU, but some variation thereof. This allows for ease of stowage and a slight increase in utility in close quarters.
-Modern military rifles and carbines have at least a basic repeater capacity, in that they can fire a 3-round burst with a single trigger pull. The 1D Auto-Fire bonus can be applied to either Blaster or Damage at Point Blank and Short Range, but only to Blaster at Medium or Long Ranges.

Blaster Rifle
Changes:
-Remove "Retractable Stock & Scope" rule.
-Add stat Auto-Fire: 1D
Reasons:
-Part of the real-world distinction between a carbine and a rifle is the rifle has a longer barrel and a fixed stock.
-See Blaster Carbine for Auto-Fire reasoning.

Sporting Blaster Rifle
Changes:
-Increase Damage to 5D
-Remove Retractable Stock, but keep Scope with same bonus.
Reason:
-This makes the Sporting Blaster Rifle more like the blaster equivalent of a modern sporting rifle like the Ruger Mini-14. It uses the same basic round (or energy packet, in this case) as the rifle and the carbine, but lacks the auto-fire ability. However, it is equipped with a scope for greater accuracy at range.
-Sporting rifles of this type do not generally have retractable stocks.

Light Repeating Blaster
Changes:
-Add stat Auto-Fire: 2D
-Reduce Damage to 5D
Reasons:
-Using the same rules as applied to the Carbine and Rifle, the Light Repeater has the ability to fire at full auto. The 2D bonus can be applied to either Blaster or Damage at Point Blank, Short or Medium Ranges (maximum of 1D to Damage at Medium Range), or to Blaster at Long Range.
-If the Light Repeating Blaster is the equivalent of the modern M249 SAW, it fires the same basic round as the carbine and rifle, just a lot more of it at a time. My theory is that the RAW damage of 6D was WEG's attempt to represent the automatic fire capability, so I reduced it by 1D to balance out the increased damage from the Auto-Fire bonus.

Heavy Repeating Blaster
Changes:
-Add stat Auto-Fire: 2D
-Reduce Damage to 7D
Reasons:
The same basic reasoning as the Light Repeating Blaster, except that the Heavy Repeater is more the equivalent of the M2 .50 cal.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts and extrapolations on other possible blaster weapon types:

Riot Blaster Pistol
If Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy is any indicator, "Riot" seems to be the SWU equivalent of an "Assault" weapon, i.e. any personal weapon capable of automatic fire. As such, a riot blaster pistol would be a weapon in the blaster pistol size range (or slightly larger), but with auto-fire capability

Heavy Blaster Rifle
Going by modern equivalents, the blaster rifle seems roughly analogous to current .223 / 5.56mm weapons like the M16 or M4. However, heavier weapons that fire larger rounds like the .308 / 7.62mm, such as the AR-10 or M14 remain in service for a variety of uses. I see a heavy blaster rifle having greater range and damage than a standard blaster rifle, but at the cost of lower ammunition.

Marksman Blaster Rifle
Most modern sniper rifles are improved versions of common hunting rifles. The Marine Corps' M40, for example, is a highly accurate version of the civilian Remington 700 bolt action rifle. This weapon would combine high damage and range, at the expense of ammo and semi-auto fire only.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

EDIT: Relocated so as to divide the various stats into discrete posts, based on weapon classification, as follows:

Blaster Pistols
Combat Blaster Rifles & Carbines
Repeating Blasters
Precision Blaster Rifles
Blaster Artillery

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:00 pm; edited 15 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
With regards to the RAW's standard personal weaponry, there are some weapons that seem relatively useless, as in "why would anyone take A when B is available?" I have some thoughts on the matter, along with some stat change suggestions, that might make some of the weapons more viable.

I love how much thought you put into your stats!

crmcneill wrote:
Marksman Blaster Rifle
Skill: Blaster: Blaster Rifle
Ammo: 50
Cost: 1,500 (Power Pack: 50)
Availability: 2; X
One-Handed: No (+1D)
Range: 3-100/250/500
Damage: 6D
Game Notes: If the integrated scope is used for one round of aiming, the character receives a +1D bonus to Blaster.

Doesn't RAW let you get the +1D bonus for aiming for one round anyway without the scope? Should aiming with the scope give more?

crmcneill wrote:
Hold-Out Blaster
Change: +1D to Initiative and Hide, due to small size.
Reason: Based solely on its stats, a Hold-Out is pretty useless in a fight involving any heavier weapon. However, its small size lends itself well to concealment and reaction time, even though this is not reflected in its stats.

Player: "My fist is the same size as the hold-out blaster, so do I get a +1D bonus to Initiative to punch someone?"

I get the concealment factor, but I don't really get the initiative bonus. And does that bonus apply to the whole party, meaning even if the character with the hold-out blaster is not the same one who rolls for initiative, the +1D applies to the initiative roller's roll (just because another character on that side has a hold-out blaster)? That doesn't make sense to me. And if the bonus only applies if the character rolling initiative has the hold-out blaster, I'm not seeing how that helps the whole party either.

I can only see the initiative bonus applying if normal RAW initiative is being used to play out an old west quick draw scenario between two characters, blaster vs. blaster, where initiative determines whose shot gets off first.

Maybe hold-out blasters could just have a reduction to the drawing a weapon penalty, maybe making the normal -1D into only -1 pip?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Thanks, Whill. It is always nice to hear my efforts are appreciated.

Quote:
Doesn't RAW let you get the +1D bonus for aiming for one round anyway without the scope? Should aiming with the scope give more?

The RAW for the Blaster Carbine and Sporting Blaster Rifle both have the combination retractable stock & scope rule, with no mention of it superseding the +1D preparation bonus, so I assume they stack. If I were to dig deeper, I might limit the bonus from the scope to Medium and Long ranges, but it would still stack with the prep bonus.

Quote:
I get the concealment factor, but I don't really get the initiative bonus.

It's something of a work in progress. It stems from a conversation in Naaman's Tactical Combat topic, where he made the point that smaller, lighter weapons tend to have quicker reaction times, so that while a blaster rifle is great for ranged combat, a carbine or pistol is much better for CQB and such. This is his area of experience, so I'm inclined to follow his lead. Unfortunately, there isn't really a good match mechanics-wise for that kind of responsiveness apart from Initiative.

Quote:
And does that bonus apply to the whole party, meaning even if the character with the hold-out blaster is not the same one who rolls for initiative, the +1D applies to the initiative roller's roll (just because another character on that side has a hold-out blaster)? That doesn't make sense to me. And if the bonus only applies if the character rolling initiative has the hold-out blaster, I'm not seeing how that helps the whole party either.

I would definitely not let it apply to the whole party unless the whole party was using Hold-Out Blasters. Assuming I hang onto this rule, I'd treat the character using the Hold-Out as acting separately from the rest of the party (for better or for worse).

Quote:
I can only see the initiative bonus applying if normal RAW initiative is being used to play out an old west quick draw scenario between two characters, blaster vs. blaster, where initiative determines whose shot gets off first.

Maybe hold-out blasters could just have a reduction to the drawing a weapon penalty, maybe making the normal -1D into only -1 pip?

I could see both working, but again, they don't individually cover the sorts of advantage implied by using a weapon that is smaller and lighter than other weapon types. I'm not entirely sure what route to pursue, or even whether or not to simply include them all somehow...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of a larger concept of converting weapon ranges from set metric values to something more narrative based, I intend to give the lighter weapons like pistols even lower base difficulties at Short and Point Blank range to better represent their utility up close. Unfortunately, Point Blank range is already at Very Easy difficulty for all weapons, so I can't lower it too much further without making shots with a Hold-Out Blaster essentially hit automatically.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:
I get the concealment factor, but I don't really get the initiative bonus.

It's something of a work in progress. It stems from a conversation in Naaman's Tactical Combat topic, where he made the point that smaller, lighter weapons tend to have quicker reaction times, so that while a blaster rifle is great for ranged combat, a carbine or pistol is much better for CQB and such. This is his area of experience, so I'm inclined to follow his lead. Unfortunately, there isn't really a good match mechanics-wise for that kind of responsiveness apart from Initiative.

Whill wrote:

I could see both working, but again, they don't individually cover the sorts of advantage implied by using a weapon that is smaller and lighter than other weapon types. I'm not entirely sure what route to pursue, or even whether or not to simply include them all somehow...

I can attest to the rifle vs carb vs pistol differences in usefulness in CQB scanerios.

It was almost comical to see a non sof unit that we worked with when they would send their scout snipers to help clear a building area ... There is nothing like seeing someone trying to clear a room with a 308 bolt rifle and high power scope ... Additionally, at times, when the area is scary tight, it is better to sling even a carb and go to the pistol.

Mechanically ... how clunky do you want to make it. I agree there should be a bonus but wouldn't know what fits better. 1 pip vs 1 d ... init or something else. Maybe make it more fluid and a narrative bonus to be used in special situations.

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Mechanically ... how clunky do you want to make it. I agree there should be a bonus but wouldn't know what fits better. 1 pip vs 1 d ... init or something else. Maybe make it more fluid and a narrative bonus to be used in special situations.

Maybe something as simple as giving all pistols +1D to Blaster at Point Blank range, and not arguing the minutiae in size discrepancy between the various pistol types? And maybe a similar bonus to the carbine if used with the stock folded?

EDIT: Or give everything rifle-sized and up a -1D to Blaster at Point Blank, with the carbine able to defer the bonus if the stock is folded?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I went back through and made some changes...

1) Added stats for the Medium and Heavy Repeating Blasters

2) Changed some of the Availability ratings to make the weapons somewhat more accessible.

3) Replaced the +1D to Initiative with a 3-Level system whereby smaller weapons (pistols and the like) get a +1D bonus to Blaster when used at Point Blank Range (i.e. within 3 meters), while the larger weapons (repeaters, mostly) get a -1D penalty at Point Blank range. As lurker mentioned, some rifle types are better suited to CQB than others, but his point about the mechanic details is also well taken. I'm open to suggestion as to which rifles should be moved up to the -1D bracket as bulkier, more cumbersome weapons.

4) EDIT: Removed the Scope bonus for aiming for 1 round. In my (admitedly limited) gun buying experience, guns don't come stock with scopes; you have to add them on to fit your own needs later. In this case, I'd say that a standard telescopic scope grants a +1D bonus to Blaster at Medium and Long Ranges, which in turn stacks with the +1D Preparation bonus.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Thanks, Whill. It is always nice to hear my efforts are appreciated.

While i may not agree with some of what you come up with, you sure show you have heart...

crmcneill wrote:

Quote:

The RAW for the Blaster Carbine and Sporting Blaster Rifle both have the combination retractable stock & scope rule, with no mention of it superseding the +1D preparation bonus, so I assume they stack. If I were to dig deeper, I might limit the bonus from the scope to Medium and Long ranges, but it would still stack with the prep bonus.

With my firearms rules, using a scope grants +1d+2 bonus to aiming (for the scope itself) but only for medium and long range shots. You can't use it for short range shots.
I could see the same here..

crmcneill wrote:

I'd go with "hold out blasters by their nature reduce the MAP for 'drawing and shooting' to only -1 pip, vice a full -1D that other weapons get.

Quote:
4) EDIT: Removed the Scope bonus for aiming for 1 round. In my (admitedly limited) gun buying experience, guns don't come stock with scopes; you have to add them on to fit your own needs later. In this case, I'd say that a standard telescopic scope grants a +1D bonus to Blaster at Medium and Long Ranges, which in turn stacks with the +1D Preparation bonus.

I would also require a say medium firearm/blaster repair roll to properly attach and 'range in' the scope.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While i may not agree with some of what you come up with, you sure show you have heart...

Or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder; sometimes I'm not sure which. Wink

Quote:
With my firearms rules, using a scope grants +1d+2 bonus to aiming (for the scope itself) but only for medium and long range shots. You can't use it for short range shots.
I could see the same here..
Quote:
I would also require a say medium firearm/blaster repair roll to properly attach and 'range in' the scope.

Both seem fair to me. I ultimately decided to remove mention of the scopes and their effects and concentrate strictly on the weapons. Your rule for attaching and ranging the scope could fit well with Naaman's gunsmithing rules over on his Tactical Combat thread...

Quote:
I'd go with "hold out blasters by their nature reduce the MAP for 'drawing and shooting' to only -1 pip, vice a full -1D that other weapons get.

I'd consider that or something like it, but I just don't feel it fully encapsulates the increased responsiveness of pistols and other, lighter weapons.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought. With the medium-heavy repeaters. Carrying one should reduce someone's dex in so much as it would hamper other actions, such as dodging, parrying etc. Would -1d for mediums and -3d for heavies (for those of sufficient strength to even sling one) be ok?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Another thought. With the medium-heavy repeaters. Carrying one should reduce someone's dex in so much as it would hamper other actions, such as dodging, parrying etc. Would -1d for mediums and -3d for heavies (for those of sufficient strength to even sling one) be ok?

Seems fair. My thinking was that the Medium was sufficiently bulky that it was difficult to aim and fire while moving, yet not so bulky as to actually limit the gunner's dexterity. YMMV; I'm on the fence. However, if I did go that route, a -1D penalty seems fair.

Of course, since I'm also working on Warhammer Tech, this brings up the idea of suspensor units to off-set the weight and bulk of heavy weapons...

Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

Wow, amazing work, crmcneill! I'm sure to lean on this in the future.

crmcneill wrote:

I bet most of us have had these thoughts!

To my players I present the case of "A vs. B" in terms of how frequently one will actually be able to use the weapon in question. Since I run Rebellion-era games and in them the Empire heavily restricts weapons, the small or arguably benign (e.g., sporting) weapon becomes a more attractive, practical option. Only in the Outer Rim would a citizen be able to brandish anything larger than a pistol without harassment by local authorities.

Also, I'm running 1E, so any weapon can disable an opponent for the round! Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Seems fair. My thinking was that the Medium was sufficiently bulky that it was difficult to aim and fire while moving, yet not so bulky as to actually limit the gunner's dexterity. YMMV; I'm on the fence. However, if I did go that route, a -1D penalty seems fair.

Of course, since I'm also working on Warhammer Tech, this brings up the idea of suspensor units to off-set the weight and bulk of heavy weapons...

Which imo would allow someone with less strength to wield them, but impose more of a dex penalty.. Similar to those rigs Hicks and Vasques used in Aliens.

Quote:
To my players I present the case of "A vs. B" in terms of how frequently one will actually be able to use the weapon in question. Since I run Rebellion-era games and in them the Empire heavily restricts weapons, the small or arguably benign (e.g., sporting) weapon becomes a more attractive, practical option. Only in the Outer Rim would a citizen be able to brandish anything larger than a pistol without harassment by local authorities.

Good point. Planetary restrictions will make the smaller weapons more common place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: