The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Flash Bang grenades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Flash Bang grenades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Flash Bang grenades Reply with quote

I have often had these 'alternate stunning' weapons used by city swats and local planetary guards. Unlike normal grenades, Flash bangs get resisted by Perception, NOT strength. In the past i have usually had them set at a specific 'damage' value that someone rolls their Per against, and the lower they roll, the more 'debilitated' they are from blinding and disorientation Normal Flash bangs are a 20 base value, with the resultant disorientation being valued at
0-3 less - minus 1d for 1 round to all actions
4-7 less, -2d for 1d rounds
8-12 less, -3d for 2d rounds
13-16 less, -4d for 1 minute
17 or more, -4d for 1d minutes.

There is a heavier flash bang with a flat 25 for its disorientation value, and a lesser one set at 15.

Last Gencon someone suggested rather than having it be a flat value, have it a Die value (like all other grenades/explosives etc), and allow for things like sonic dampeners/flash suppressor goggles to give bonuses much like armor do..

What say you all on that?
Should they go to a die damage value or stay as is?
What would be a good "armor" bonus those items should grant to the Per roll?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a static number in this case. Its quick and efficient. As for modifiers for having certain items (sound dampeners, etc), why does one need to roll a random number of dice to give a modifier? Just tack on the modifier to the person roll to resist and it does what you want. Just seems like someone is crying because they have to hit a target number that its static not random. Boo-hoo buttercup.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the decision between a flat modifier or a dice value should be dictated by what you are trying to represent. A dice value represents the presence of random factors beyond the character's control. In this case, a dice roll might represent things like targeted characters ending up in dead zones or random terrain confluences that either protect them from the brunt of the effect or concentrate it on them. If you feel this weapon would not be subject to such things, then a flat modifier would be more appropriate.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I like the idea of a static number in this case. Its quick and efficient. As for modifiers for having certain items (sound dampeners, etc), why does one need to roll a random number of dice to give a modifier? Just tack on the modifier to the person roll to resist and it does what you want. Just seems like someone is crying because they have to hit a target number that its static not random. Boo-hoo buttercup.

The mods for sound dampners were being looked at in the realms of what would they ADD to the resistance perception roll...
Would it be a flat say +5/+10? Something else?
Or would it say just be +1d or +2d?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the two, I'd go with a flat modifier for protection, but only because I can't conceive of specific ways in which sensory protective equipment could be circumvented under the scenario described.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. so what 'value' wouold go for 'sound dampning helmets?
Flash resistant goggles?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
OK.. so what 'value' would go for 'sound damping helmets?
Flash resistant goggles?

Depends on the quality of the protection. Basic protection at +5, more advanced at +10, etc.

I know WH40K offered photon grenades, which were purely a flash weapon instead of a flash-bang, and they also included some protection systems, such as photo-sensitive goggles or even contacts. The one I liked the best was Auto-Senses, which was basically a real-time digital filter built into power armor. Basically, armor would have enhanced visual and audio systems fed to the wearer, but any sensory input that would overload or damage the wearer was filtered out. Alternately, auto-senses could actually be hard-wired into a character's nervous system, completely bypassing normal senses, and thus protecting them from damage.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if any of the armors mention it in the arms and equipment section of the 'complete PDF of gear", but i do remember in one of the novels, han having 'flash suppression goggles' but their suppression also blinded him for a few rounds till it cleared..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can't remember if any of the armors mention it in the arms and equipment section of the 'complete PDF of gear", but i do remember in one of the novels, han having 'flash suppression goggles' but their suppression also blinded him for a few rounds till it cleared..

I don't recall that one. Obviously, some sort of instant-acting filter system is going to provide the best protection, but will also be the most expensive.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it was the first novel in the Corellian Trilogy, near the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: