The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Current state of SW RPGs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Current state of SW RPGs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Current state of SW RPGs Reply with quote

We started talking about this as a tangent in the file sharing thread, and I figured I'd move the conversation here.

Granted, I probably should have said that the reason why most RPGs are marketed is to make money given that there are a number of cheap to free RPGs out on the net.

But anyway, WotC is going to do what they feel is most profitable. Unfortunately it looks like they think that making good quality SW RPG books aren't it. I've heard from another forum that WotC is taking a good look at their current licence. I don't know what it would take to legally and amicably break the licence agreement, but I would love to see the licence fall back to WEG. As things stand, I don't think WEG will get a shot at it until 2010.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to see the liscense return to WEG, as long as they kept up the same quality they originally provided us with. I have know idea if any authors have been using WotC's material when doing their novels, but many authors have relied on what WEG provided us with for research material for their books. I think that right there says a lot for what WEG did when they had the liscense.

Wanted Poster
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
I'd also like to see the liscense return to WEG, as long as they kept up the same quality they originally provided us with.

I think that's the primary issue, isn't it? I doubt that all of the people who used to work on the Star Wars books will just come flocking back to WEG if they got the licence back. They would be left with, probably, a totally different staff.

Although, I will say that it could only get better if they had an all new art department. Sorry, but Rules of Engagement's art was just SAD.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, WEGs art staff is currently sucking worse at the moment.

They're working on it, however.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a job at WEG if they ever get the license back Smile
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought that WotC had completely bought out WEG and that prior to the buy-out, WEG had gone bankrupt. Am I understanding that WEG is still around and producing gaming material?
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feast your eyes:

http://www.westendgames.com/
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with thinking that WOTC/Hasbro are going to give up the license is in neglecting to understand that it's a license covering gaming products and not just roleplaying material:

They're not producing anything for the roleplaying game. However, they're making boucoup money off of the miniatures game. This is probably why they're not producing RPG material anymore. It's no secret that Hasbro will go with whatever's more profitable, now that they've got WOTC, and minis games are much more profitable right now than RPGs can ever hope to be (margins on roleplaying games are abysmal, even by normal book publishing standards.)

So Hasbro/WOTC are likely to hold on the the license as long as they can pump out something with the Star Wars brand that makes them money. If that means ignoring roleplaying products (as they've done for the last year or so), then so be it.

I hate to spoil anyone's dreams here, but... well, that's the way it's working. Sad

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hense there being THE RANCOR PIT! Where we shall turn those who have seen only the DARK SIDE of the D20 to the glory of the D6!!!

Twisted Evil *MUH-HA-HA-HA*!!! Twisted Evil
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
Knowing the fate of the Star Wars gaming license in the evil clutches of WotC, I wish I could go back and buy every WEG SW book that I passed on while they were still holding the license. I'm glad to see them still in business and publishing new D6 materials.

On that note, does anyone know of any current D6 material that would be good for use in the old SW system? I don't know anything about Torg or any of their other products... but I'd be interested in supporting them by buying their books... It'd just be better if they were usable with Star Wars.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had too deep a look at their new D6 games, as with my current financial standing the books are a bit pricey. But, from what I have seen in demos, promos, and free materials on their website, most of the stuff from their 3 D6 lines (Adventure, Fantasy, and Space) should be compatible with the old SW stuff with just a little Modification. It's best to read over the definitions page regarding the difference between their Legacy D6 (very similar to the way Shadowrun used to work) and their Classic D6 (Which they describe as the old SW system in the definition).

With that in mind, I would think most of the material for D6 space would be a shoe-in for use in a star wars campaign. Though I know there have been a few subtle changes from the D6 we all know and love of Star Wars, to the current D6. For Example I have heard that the Starship Construction rules of D6 Space uses size, mass, and energy to provide guidelines, rather than just throwing down stats. To those of us familiar with GG 6, the space issues were covered very losely there (sacrificing cargo for upgrades...etc...).
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing about WEG nowadays is that it isn't the same company that it was back in the day.
Different owners, same name.

Sort of like the Atari situation, they use the name, logo, and library, but this current Atari has nothing to do with the Atari of the old days...
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing D6 fantasy at the moment, AND IT BLOWS D&D AWAY!

I never want to go back. Although currently, the monsters and creatures that they have for D6 Fantasy are kind of crappy... but they're working on it. Everything is definately challanging, if you have a starting party. But it doesn't take long for the party to be able to tackle dragons without breaking a sweat. At least by the book's standards.
And D6 adventures is cool, though I haven't really had much time playing it to get a really good feel for it.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.. its funny you mention Atari.

/me loves moneychains.

West End Games lost its starwars francise to WOTC, we all know that, but did you know that the company that bought WOTC is Hasbro?

Hasbro also Purchased Avalon Hill, Infogrames interactive, and Strategic Simulations Inc,

Infogrames Purchased Atari, disolved the company and then Assumed its name.

Thus: Atari, is Infogrames, which is really a subsidiary of Hasbro.

I think its time we all start supporting Milton Bradley games Razz
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d6 fantasy? I'd like to take a look at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: