The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A ruined Sith Library temple
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> A ruined Sith Library temple Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: A ruined Sith Library temple Reply with quote

So, I'm working on an adventure set in the Rebellion era. There is an ancient Sith library temple, and I'd like some advice as to what manner of guardians or challenges would be found inside to protect the artifacts within.

The rewards vary for the different characters involved. There is a fallen Jedi on a path of redemption, a smuggler who is all about the credits, and a young streetwise slicer. There way also be a Wookie who loves to fight.

For those after credits, the artifacts are worth it. The Jedi is looking for knowledge about the ancient crafts and possibly to destroy anything of the dark side, and the Wookie will be happy if there is anything he can smash.

My dilemma is what exactly is guarding this temple? If it's specters or ghosts, then what will their stat blocks look like?

What would you guys do?

Also, any thoughts on treasure or cool artifacts and ideas would be appreciated. Specifics would be extra awesome.

By the way, long time lurker, first time poster Smile Thanks for the help!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit!

You could have an invisible odorless hallucinogenic gas that they trigger, which makes them see their worst nightmares, but if you really wanted to trick the players into thinking it was real, then you may want to have them be split up for this (since they would all see something different).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sparks we have things called force wraiths, that often 'guard' sith areas', or are called upon by those serving the Sith.

Let me see if i can get their stats for ya.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very exciting! Thank you!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force Wraiths sound exciting! Don't forget to throw in some monsters courtesy of Sith Alchemy (Tales of the Jedi Companion pgs 106-109). Also on our menu this evening are traps (think the first temple in Raiders of the Lost Ark, with pressure plates, deadfalls, pits, etc), a Sith spirit (always a hoot at family reunions), and a constant subliminal whispering that might turn the players against one another at a crucial moment.

Upon further review it looks like the ToJC is pretty much one-stop shopping for your adventure outline. Don't forget to add in a few handfuls of jewels, including one that's a Sith Talisman. 8)
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wraiths, smaller alchemical leeches designed to siphon life force from creatures, and the big arse Terentatek that feeds off them and any force users dumb enough to attempt to access the vault.

then to top is off - the reanimated corpses of the sith lord's acolytes - and the big baddy himself - the ghost of the sith lord - who will attempt to remain hidden and later take control of the jedi by whispering him false thoughts - at first good and slowly getting darker - while he sleeps.

*sighs* the good ole days.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all great ideas, but I'm not strong enough in the game mechanics yet to design my own beasties.

I have ToJC, and plan on including talismans and sith swords - but I can find nothing on spirits. There was an interesting short story in the book about a jedi's encounter with a specter, but I can't find any stat blocks.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the stats for any of the Sith mentioned in ToJC, with emphasis on their Knowledge, Perception, and of course Force skills. Think evil and manipulative poltergeist. If you also have the Jedi Academy Sourcebook, it has a few creatures starting on p. 119.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I do to simulate an ethereal Sith? Immune to certain types of damage? Maybe only a particular type of weapon can damage him?

The players will have no knowledge of what they are going to face, so it is unlikely that they will expect to deal with a force ghost! *evil chuckle*
KeldorKatarn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the novel "I,Jedi" there is a Sith Ghost.
Exar Kun is haunting the new Academy.

He was Immune to any physical Dmg, but was not Immune to light.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Force Harmony would seriously hurt a Sith Spirit. If you don't have a few Jedi running together you could always use a lightsaber. Might not kill the ghost but would probably cause some pain.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing to build this adventure - I need an era to place the thing. It's a temple library built by Xian Yann, a Sith Philosopher who fled the destruction of the Sith Empire. His idea was to preserve his research (and himself)

How long ago did this occur? (Game is set about 3 BBY)

Any other thoughts?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Hyperspace War was 5000 BBY so that's probably a good starting point. The Wookieepedia article on the Sith Empire provides some great history you can use to flesh out the story.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. My friends finally got back to me.
Force wraiths are spirit creatures created by Sith, and usually tied to a location. Regardless of whether they are tied to a locale or to a sith himself, they are under control of something, so can't really act independently.

Their Strength is based on how well the creating Sith rolls on his Alter roll, while how many are created, is based on the Control roll.

To create them the Sith must use the power "Create Force Wraith", a C+S+A power.

Control difficulty is a base 15, which creates 1 wraith. Every 5 above that gets 1 more wraith (with 3 being the max that can be created PER use of the power).

The Sense difficulty is a base 10, with 2 additional 'grades'.
A 10 gives the controller minimum contact, and he can sense their general status and issue long range orders.
A 20 diff, allows the creator to take over the sense of a wraith, three times a day, giving him the power to see/here what is around that wraith.
A 25, gives him unlimited access to a wraith's senses, but while connected, he takes any damage the Wraith itself takes.

The Alter difficulty is a base 10, giving any created Wraith a 2d strength rating.
At 15, this goes up to 3d. 20 gives 4d, 25 gives 5d, and the max is 5d+2 at 30.

Using this power is an automatic Dark side point.

Force wraiths when in existence, take no effect from stun damage, but if they are hit for damage pushing them to mortally wounded or greater, they dissolve back into the darkness they were created from.

Force Wraiths have a Dex of 3d+2, with 4d+2 in the skills of Dodge and Brawl parry. They have a 2d+2 Perception, with a 3d+2 in all three skills of Hide, Sneak and Search.
Their Str is dependent on the Alter roll when creating them, but regardless of its rating they gain Brawl and Stamina at Str+1d, and Climbing/Jumping as well as Lifting at Str+1.

Their claws dish out Str+2d damage, while their Bite does Str+1d damage.

This power was located in Polyhedron #104 page 12.
The Alter power, of Force light is a great way to get rid of wraith..

Force light.
Alter power.
Diff base 5 +.
Requires Force Harmony, Life sense, Life Detection, Projective Telepathy and Receptive Telepathy.

When invoked, this power allows a force use to channel the force into blasts of light that can destroy dark side spirits as well as cleanse areas of dark side taint. The Light side energy extends out to 10 meters from the power's user, affecting all dark side creatures, spirits or sites within the area. When activated, the player rolls his Alter score and checks the below table.
Dark side spirts, take damage
beating the base diff by 0-10 causes 2d+2 damage
11-20 causes 5d damage
21-35 causes 7d+2 damage
36 or more causes 10d damage.

If used against dark side creatures or characters (like an actual Sith), if successful it sets a difficulty for the creature/character to roll against with a Willpower skill check to be able to remain in the area, which if they do not beat, they must flee.
0-10 above, sets the Willpower roll at Easy
11-20, sets it at Moderate
21-35 sets it at Difficult
while 36 ore more sets the willpower roll at very difficult.

For dark side areas or sites, only getting 36 or more above the base listed diff (meaning any roll of 41 or more) reduces the sites power level. Otherwise there is no change to the sites power level.

This was adapted from the d20 system's force power of the same name.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, thank you! I'll be using that for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: