The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

the time to organize a fleet to respond to a war threat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> the time to organize a fleet to respond to a war threat. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: the time to organize a fleet to respond to a war threat. Reply with quote

how long do you all think it would take to gather together a fleet from the time of signal received to arrival at rendezvous?

I am thinking a week or two since communications take time and the bureaucracy involved.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where & what type of fleet is nearby.
Core, hours to a day max. Outer rim in a normally uncontested area, week sounds right.
The type and size of the enemy threat would also dictate response time. You cant just pull in all nearby forces or you are opening yourself to attack from the very fleet you are trying to counter, but if you can peal off 10% of each nearby sector's fleet and have better than even odds, that could provide a faster response.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also depend on
A) how large of a response fleet is being sent
B) where all the fleet is at that is to be sent
C) what ready troops there are

Case and point the US military has several "Ready response" groups that are supposed to be able to get off the ground fully geared up within 48 or so hours after getting the call.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay side question then - how large a response do you think the new republic would send out if they received a distress call of a planet being assault by the imperial remnant that contained a rather large number of force users that was an undiscovered planet on the edge of imperial controlled space and was also primitive?

Oh and the imperial admiral in charge of the operation is rogue and taking slaves from the planet to set up the mining operation on one of the two moons.

Which also begs the question - what would the remnant do in response to such allegations - would they attack or just send a scout ship to confirm the allegations?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would first off check what the planet receiving the call has available. I doubt it would leave itself defenseless. if needed it would pass on the alert to nearby star systems to see if they can also respond.

As to how many, i would say at least an even # of cap ships, if not 20-40% more.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is asking about gathering up a force to fight a "war" which seems to me like he really means "battle." A war is combat on a scale so massive that its less about attacking/defending a resource and more about managing resources and allocating them across the battlefield.

In a battle, resources are xonsumed and/or destroyed in an attempt to win a battle. The "war effort" is about backfilling those resources so that the fighting force can continue to win battles. If a fighting element is overwhelmed, then reinforcements are sent (if available) to aid in achieving victory.

So unless we are talking about a fleet gathering up for a preemptive strike on a huge scale, the "war" would start with only a couple of smaller fighting elements exchanging fire and then calling for reinforcements to counter the firepower of their enemy. It becomes a contest of scale wherin both sides attempt to leverage resources in order to achieve air/land/maritime superiority.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Garhkal said there would likely be units on ready/alert status at all times with standardized response times. The more elite units can get anywhere in the world within 18 hours (or less, depending on the travel time required).
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay let me reiterate what I'm after for clarity here.

A rogue element of the Imperial Remnant has seized control of a primitive world beyond the border of Imperial space.

They have begun enslaving the native populace for use in gathering the planets rich mineral wealth.

The system was not their original target but an independent fleet that they laid a trap for and decimated - leading to the independent survivors rallying the natives versus the empire.

The natives are primitive - the technology only in the middle ages. But have an alarming number of force users among them - which has made them targets.

The fleet has done its best to strike any opposition down and keep word of what the Moff and Admiral have done secret, but now with its numbers dwindling due to lack of reinforcement's and steadily losing in it's ground war versus the natives, word has finally escaped the Moff's net and will soon be reaching not only Grand Admiral Pellaeon but also the New Republic of this fleets treachery.

The actions this rogue fleet have taken go directly agaisnt Pellaeon's mandate as he makes ready to begin negotiations with the New Republic.

And while the system is in independent space - Skywalker is being approached with information about the conflict due to numerous contacts through out independent space, and the fact of the force being witnessed among the natives.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the new republic wantimg to gather up a fleet or the imperial remnant?

I supose that if the natives are winning there isnt much need for a back up force, yeah?

In any case, a couple of days for the initial response and then maybe a week for further reinfocements. Basically, the assumption is that the ready forces can last a certain amoumt of time whic is probably a smidge longer than it would take to have the remainder of the larger element in action.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both.

Bah I hate when my browser doesn't post and then cuts off part of what I typed when I reload. Then I can't always catch what I have to retype.

The natives who are winning are just a set of 4 nations on the planets surface - in the vast scheme of things the planet is already enslaved and the death toll rises daily still.

And while they are currently winning the fleet is still in orbit and since the force users have started to help the ground forces win - that has made them and where they gather targets for bombardment. The word is already out but the Moff does not know and has had enough and is now starting to build droid factories in the nations that have consigned themselves to rule - basically even the groups that have won will soon be on the run.

The allied nations know this - and that time is agaisnt them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, 1-2 days for an initial response force, which might be a system group (if imperial, i would say 3-4 ISDs, 4-6 VSDs, and about a dozen support craft).
1 week after a larger force could respond.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the makings of a good adventure:

Make the heroes find a way to delay the arrival of imperial forces and/or speed up/augment the arrival to republic forces.

Delivering a jamming device to the center of the imperial battle formations or destroying the main comm relay might be a good place to start brainstorming. Maybe even sabotaging the communique itself so that reinforcements are sent to the wrong place, or come at the wrong time.

Maybe even steal the imperial orders and leak them to the new republic who can stage an ambush for the arriving imperials....

So much to play with...
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my players are some of the survivors on the surface who are the reason the alliance of nations opposing the empire exists and the reason a message even got out to begin with.

They are now preparing to infiltrate one of the droid factories to reprogram a set of walker scale drones to their side before destroying it.

they started with next to no tech after the crash and just now are starting to get access to enough to counteract the imperials.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet.

Have you thought about what forces that droid factory will have guarding it?
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because the moff is starting to panic - 6 of the newly build speeder scale droideka style mobile assault droids (think uniwheel though) - 2 of the old walker scale spider droids - 3 at-st's - 2 squads of stormtroopers complete with 3 e-web's and 4 defense turret speeder scale cannons.

Spread around and throughout of course.

2/3 of which can be bypassed by kidnapping the overseer at his villa in the nearby village and getting him to make a false report of an attack on the nearby outpost. They need his access codes anyway Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: