The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Indiana Jones Adventures (D6)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Indiana Jones Adventures (D6) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Indiana Jones Adventures (D6) Reply with quote

Does anyone have the WEG Indiana Jones Adventures book? I found this info about it (source):

Quote:
Indiana Jones Adventures
WEG's Indiana Jones released under their MasterBook universal rules system, which did not prove to be a popular rules set; probably too complex for a fast & loose milieu as the world of Indiana Jones. Indeed, the simple D6 based rules used in WEG's Star Wars RPG seemed a more apt match with Indiana Jones.

And here in Indiana Jones Adventures, West End Games agreed, providing rules for play under the D6 rules system, and conversion notes. And they tossed in some adventures too. A good buy.

ADVENTURES: The Carlisle Incident; On Ice; The City of Dreams; The Kweichow Exodus.

-Wayne

"Indiana Jones Adventures brings this world of action, archaeology, and mysticism to life. Based on the simple yet flexible D6 System rules, the game thrusts you into the pulse-pounding excitement of the movies in no seconds flat! Herein you'll find all of the skills, equipment, and characters you need to run Indiana Jones scenarios. A solitaire adventure gets you into the game right away, and three multi-player adventures provide enough material to play for hours!"

1996 ... 96 pages ... WEG 45009 ... ISBN 0874314364
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact I do. Not terribly long ago we were thinking about running a game with a similar feel to Indiana Jones, and I picked up a copy through a VERY GENEROUS deal with one of the developers on the project. He was even kind enough to sign the copies.

Given that the game I bought them for morphed into something very different, I've not done much more than skim through them. But what would you like to know?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got it, and a few of the Masterbook IJ books. Masterbook was a horrible system for IJ so the D6 book was great, but too little too late.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I've also got it, and a few of the Masterbook IJ books. Masterbook was a horrible system for IJ so the D6 book was great, but too little too late.

The real kick in the teeth was the magic and mystics D6 book it said would be released as a future supplement that would be released for Indiana Jones. I would LOVE to have seen that book.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seems like something that would be very popular. Unfortunately, it seems to be hampered by insane rarity.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it came out right about the time that the WEG staff looked down and realized that their feet were tied to the rope that was attached to the anchor that just got thrown overboard.

It's a pretty neat little supplement. It takes for granted that you have the "D6 System" rulebook. It provides a few modifications to that book in order to make it better fit an Indiana Jones setting. It gives you some vehicles, equipment, and weapons. Then it provides a solo adventure, and three other adventures for your RPG group. It ends with a character sheet and a few templates.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Just seems like something that would be very popular. Unfortunately, it seems to be hampered by insane rarity.

Yes, and high price if I recall correctly (I'm sure I paid more than the $15 retail cover price).

And The D6 System-derived attribute set was kind of wacky. Take the six Star Wars attributes (yes including even Technical), then split Dex into two and split Strength into two, for a total of eight attributes. The skill set was very fine-tuned so there whole lot more skills than Star Wars even though this is pulp and only 1930s Earth. Each language was its own skill, each riding beast was its own skill, etc. I think starting characters get 24 skill dice. But the distribution of skills was very uneven. Coordination had four skills, Strength had three skills, and Endurance had only one skill, Swimming. Knowledge and Perception had tons of skills.

But the fluff is great. With this book, D6 Adventure, and Peter Schweighofer's Pulp Egypt and Heroes of Rura-Tonga, you could put together a pretty cool D6 pulp adventure game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And lets not forget that they tried to make the Wild Die more into a thing that invokes critical failures. Now, I know they don't call it a critical failure in the D6 System book, but they describe its results as just PUNISHING.

I gave the various rules for the Wild Die a treatment in one article or another, I think it was #5 of D6 Magazine. Also, you should hear Peter Schweighoffer's take on the Wild Die. He, apparently, was not a fan of its addition to the system.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:

The real kick in the teeth was the magic and mystics D6 book it said would be released as a future supplement that would be released for Indiana Jones. I would LOVE to have seen that book.

Not sure what book you are talking about but I own Maqic & Mysticism: The Dark Continent. It covers Africa as a setting with chapters for Witchcraft, Shamamism, and Sorcery with new dis/advantages, magic rules, sample spells and adventure hooks. There is also an assortment of character templates near the end and a d6/masterbook conversion page.

I got:
Tomb of the Templars,
Sky Pirates,
Artifacts,
Lands of Adventure,
Golden Vampire,
Rising Sun,
Magic and Mysticism,
and the World of Indiana Jones box set all for 5 or 6 bux each during a clearance sale years ago at one of the major book stores of the time.

I have since picked up the Raiders hardback for cheap, as well as the TSR box set and a couple adventures for a steal.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawa1138 wrote:
Not sure what book you are talking about but I own Maqic & Mysticism: The Dark Continent. It covers Africa as a setting with chapters for Witchcraft, Shamamism, and Sorcery with new dis/advantages, magic rules, sample spells and adventure hooks. There is also an assortment of character templates near the end and a d6/masterbook conversion page.

I got:
Tomb of the Templars,
Sky Pirates,
Artifacts,
Lands of Adventure,
Golden Vampire,
Rising Sun,
Magic and Mysticism,
and the World of Indiana Jones box set all for 5 or 6 bux each during a clearance sale years ago at one of the major book stores of the time.

I have since picked up the Raiders hardback for cheap, as well as the TSR box set and a couple adventures for a steal.

Cool. For WEG's IJ RPG, I only have the World of Indiana Jones box set, the Temple of Doom and Raiders sourcebooks, Artifacts, and the D6 Adventures book. I don't like the Masterbook system. I used the have the TSR IJ game (and a handful of those TSR box set games) but my junior high group only played it a couple times because at the time we didn't like playing the film characters for some reason, and I got rid of it. For TSR's Marvel Superheroes, we only played original characters and never the comic characters.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawa1138 wrote:

Oh my gosh, I didn't know it was actually released. That is SOOOO on my lookout list.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, everything from 1996 on was for D6 (or at least Masterbook/D6 dual-format).

Indiana Jones Adventures
Indiana Jones Artifacts
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates and Other Tales
Indiana Jones Magic & Mysticism: The Dark Continent
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cool. For WEG's IJ RPG, I only have the World of Indiana Jones box set, the Temple of Doom and Raiders sourcebooks, Artifacts, and the D6 Adventures book. I don't like the Masterbook system. I used the have the TSR IJ game (and a handful of those TSR box set games) but my junior high group only played it a couple times because at the time we didn't like playing the film characters for some reason, and I got rid of it. For TSR's Marvel Superheroes, we only played original characters and never the comic characters.

The limited approach of the TSR IJ rules and the fact that there are no character creation rules is one reason most of my books are still in shrink wrap and never played the game.

There are a few other games that run that way and although some of them are on my to buy list, I doubt I will ever play them.

I'm not one for superhero rpgs, but I do own TSR Marvel Superheros and Villians and Vigillantes. V&V looks to be the most promissing of the two and my kids keep asking for a chance to play it. Someday perhaps.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
jawa1138 wrote:

Oh my gosh, I didn't know it was actually released. That is SOOOO on my lookout list.

Found it on Biblio.com: Indiana Jones Magic & Mysticism
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. IJ D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: