The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Starship Damage Chart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Starship Damage Chart Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
But were the dice even real? Weren't those dice part of Luke's Force Projection? After all, he wasn't even really there on Crait. So how could the dice have been there if he wasn't? Did Leia grasp a "solid" Force projection of the Falcon's dice that promptly disappeared once Luke died or was she grasping a Plot Hole or... or what? Shocked Shocked Confused

...My head hurts.

The dice were real on the Falcon and Luke touched them when he went on the ship. The dice on Crait were Force-projections which visibly faded away in Kylo Ren's hand.

I don't remember that, but then I only saw TLJ once back in December. I'm going to order a bluray copy as soon as Amazon.com restocks them.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: TLJ Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I'm going to order a bluray copy as soon as Amazon.com restocks them.

Restock? The movie doesn't come out on blu-ray and DVD until March 27th so they can't ship it until then no matter when you order it. All that's out now is digital.

I'll also get TLJ on blu-ray (which comes with digital) but I am fortunate enough to live between two Targets which have giant displays of my nerd movies near the front of the store on the day of release. After work I'll go get it, pick up some dinner for the family, and then bring it home so we can watch it while we eat.

I've noticed that Amazon does not even have preorder pages for some movies and doesn't even start selling it until after the release date, and when they do they are for Prime members only. I am a Prime member, but I can get these movies locally on the day of release for about the same price.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: TLJ Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
I'm going to order a bluray copy as soon as Amazon.com restocks them.

Restock? The movie doesn't come out on blu-ray and DVD until March 27th so they can't ship it until then no matter when you order it. All that's out now is digital.

You're right. When I was on Amazon, I noticed the "temporarily out of stock" line where the order button usually is, I didn't see the bit about the TLJ bluray not being available until March 27 until I looked at it again today. And yeah, not seeing a pre-order link also threw me off into thinking that it was already available. Which is wierd: why would Amazon not allow preorders of TLJ? You'd think they'd jump at the chance for early sales of a high grossing movie.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TLJ Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
You're right. When I was on Amazon, I noticed the "temporarily out of stock" line where the order button usually is, I didn't see the bit about the TLJ bluray not being available until March 27 until I looked at it again today. And yeah, not seeing a pre-order link also threw me off into thinking that it was already available. Which is wierd: why would Amazon not allow preorders of TLJ? You'd think they'd jump at the chance for early sales of a high grossing movie.

"Temporarily out of stock" doesn't really make sense for a movie that hasn't even come into stock yet. Anyway I thought the same thing was very odd for Thor:Ragnarok, and it ended up being a Prime-only product. Now why Prime-only products wouldn't have pre-order, I don't know.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering giving the Vehicle Damage Chart an upgrade, as well. Obviously, certain systems aren't going to transition over (Shields, for example, are practically unheard of on ground vehicles and speeders), but some things aren't going to change. Any thoughts and suggestions as to vehicle systems I should include?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've been considering giving the Vehicle Damage Chart an upgrade, as well. Obviously, certain systems aren't going to transition over (Shields, for example, are practically unheard of on ground vehicles and speeders), but some things aren't going to change. Any thoughts and suggestions as to vehicle systems I should include?

The only thing I can think of at present is that atmospheric repulsorlifts might need the ability to have their engines damaged (speed or maneuver) be separate from their.. bouyancy? What I mean is that I can easily see the Hoth scene where a speeder crashes into the snow being a damaged "lift" mechanism with main engines still cooking away on full, and just as possibly a landspeeder might have it's thruster shot out but still be hovering along, slowly loosing speed.

Hope that makes as much sense here as it did in my head..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back around to this...

A while back, I had a rule idea for Hull Breach Damage, causing atmospheric leaks. However, at the time, I couldn't figure out a way to fit it in.

What I'm considering now is fitting it into a Critical Damage chart. The way this chart would work is, on a Wild Dice result on a Damage roll, make an additional roll on the Critical Damage chart, with possible results including Hull Breaching, internal fires, artificial gravity failure, etc.

So, for example, the Millennium Falcon takes Heavy Damage to its Lateral Controls (-2D Maneuvering), but also gets a 1 on its Soak roll, which triggers a roll on the Critical Damage table. That roll generates a Fire result, and a fire breaks out inside the ship, which has the potential to cause even more damage to the ship if not put out ASAP. Fortunately, R2-D2 is there with his fire-suppression spray to put the fire out.

I'm still working out the details at the moment, but I am considering limiting this to Heavy Damage and above.

As part of this, I'm also going to pull the Fire result from Catastrophic Damage, but then require multiple rolls on the Critical Damage chart on a Catastrophic Damage result, which will then be used to generate complications for the crew when they're trying to get to the escape pods.

Thoughts?

yomama360
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the damage chart here and used it to create one of our own. In it we have minor, moderate and major hull breach. The effect is that you lose X% of consumables per round until it is repaired (assuming you play that consumables also represent breathable air.)

For example, if you are in a ship that has a max capacity of 60 days worth of consumables and are losing 10% of max consumables per round, you would be losing 6 consumables per round until the breach is repaired. . . or until the crew chokes out and dies.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yomama360 wrote:
I liked the damage chart here and used it to create one of our own. In it we have minor, moderate and major hull breach. The effect is that you lose X% of consumables per round until it is repaired (assuming you play that consumables also represent breathable air.)

For example, if you are in a ship that has a max capacity of 60 days worth of consumables and are losing 10% of max consumables per round, you would be losing 6 consumables per round until the breach is repaired. . . or until the crew chokes out and dies.

Actually the air would continue escaping even after the crew dies. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see Consumables Damage being an additional entry on the Critical Damage chart, but the idea of a Hull Breach should be a more immediate threat. It also allows me to tie in my Environmental Damage rules to starship combat, but I digress.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
yomama360 wrote:

Actually the air would continue escaping even after the crew dies. Cool

True, it does still leak out till there's no more. BUT by then the crew's dead or in escape suits.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Starship Damage Chart Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Revised Starship Damage Chart (use chart from rulebook, page 128, except as noted)
The reasoning behind these changes, in general are:
    Shields Weakened - There are multiple instances in the EU of shields taking enough damage to be temporarily drained of power, yet still being able to regenerate to full strength after a round or two. Seeing as how Controls Ionized is a temporary result, and that Shields Blown was basically identical to the Shields result on the Lightly Damaged sub-chart, I decided to institute this change.

Sensor Damage (All Levels) - Sensors are a critical component of a starship, yet there is no mechanic for them being damaged or destroyed. Seeing as how there were two Weapon results on the Lightly Damaged and Heavily Damaged charts, I decided to consolidate them under a single result, and use the resulting open slot to allow the ship's sensors and fire control to be damaged.

Sensor Damage (Severely Damaged) - On the standard chart, #6 for Severely Damaged is the same as a Destroyed result, which seems rather unfair. As such, I replaced it with a catastrophic sensor damage result.

Passenger Damage - This has been discussed on several occasions here on the Pit, but every method I have seen ends up being too crunchy. Applying dice penalties to represent crew casualties inflicted on larger vessels is not 100% realistic, but it works well for resolving a battle scene against a capital ship (which does, on occasion, happen in the SWU).
Thoughts?

I really like what you've done, but I feel inspired to make a new damage chart that takes into account all the systems on the ship, even hand-waved magical technologies that are taken for granted like inertial compensators. What if they get damaged? Doing combat maneuvers in space could be lethal due to the g-forces involved.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would fit as a possible option for the Critical Damage Chart I suggested above...

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Coming back around to this...

A while back, I had a rule idea for Hull Breach Damage, causing atmospheric leaks. However, at the time, I couldn't figure out a way to fit it in.

What I'm considering now is fitting it into a Critical Damage chart. The way this chart would work is, on a Wild Dice result on a Damage roll, make an additional roll on the Critical Damage chart, with possible results including Hull Breaching, internal fires, artificial gravity failure, etc.

So, for example, the Millennium Falcon takes Heavy Damage to its Lateral Controls (-2D Maneuvering), but also gets a 1 on its Soak roll, which triggers a roll on the Critical Damage table. That roll generates a Fire result, and a fire breaks out inside the ship, which has the potential to cause even more damage to the ship if not put out ASAP. Fortunately, R2-D2 is there with his fire-suppression spray to put the fire out.

I'm still working out the details at the moment, but I am considering limiting this to Heavy Damage and above.

As part of this, I'm also going to pull the Fire result from Catastrophic Damage, but then require multiple rolls on the Critical Damage chart on a Catastrophic Damage result, which will then be used to generate complications for the crew when they're trying to get to the escape pods.

Thoughts?

Yes, this is great. Hull breach, internal fires, artificial gravity failure, inertial compensator failure, etc. A lot of stuff can go wrong when a ship takes damage.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always start a small fire as a complication for lesser damage levels. Also, don't forget that artificial gravity malfunctions can go both ways. A sudden power surge can increase the gravity and have everyone struggling to move or perform basic tasks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: