The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Starship Damage Chart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Starship Damage Chart Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That it would.. And since it's controls DID seem dead which is why it crashed, it makes sense!

I'd say that any ship system reduced to 0D by ion damage would suffer a similar effect until the ionization bleeds off (unless the ship gets to Controls Dead, in which case, nothing works until the resident tech runs around and resets the circuit breakers and blown fuses.

Also, I'd likely use the same rule for EMP Damage, except that the damage is permanent until repaired (doesn't roll off like ion damage).

EDIT: Also, to keep EMP weapons from being too overpowering, I'd rule that Shields are doubly effective against EMP weaponry (1D Shields = 2D vs EMP, 2D = 4D, etc). Combining this with my rules for Ion Cannon being particularly good at bringing down shields would explain the use of Empion weaponry.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO there is already a counter to EMPs being overpowering. THEY affect everyone, not just enemy units you shoot at... Plus why should shields be doubly effective against something designed to FRY stuff, when they don't work against ion cannons designed to shut them down?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IMO there is already a counter to EMPs being overpowering. THEY affect everyone, not just enemy units you shoot at... Plus why should shields be doubly effective against something designed to FRY stuff, when they don't work against ion cannons designed to shut them down?

Unless they are focused in a specific direction. Which, ya know, might be possible in a science fiction setting.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even if focused in say an arc of 60 degrees, all in that arc still gets hit, friend or foe.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But even if focused in say an arc of 60 degrees, all in that arc still gets hit, friend or foe.

For someone who considers WEG to be the definitive version of the SWU, you do seem to need a lot of reminding of its details.

Check the Imperial Sourcebook, pages 122-123, for the stats on the Merr-Sonn DEMP Gun, an EMP weapon with a linear discharge affecting a single target, with no blast radius.

If they can fit it into a pistol, then they can certainly do it with starfighter and capital grade weaponry.

denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
To update and organize everything, here's the current version:

REVISED STARSHIP DAMAGE CHART (use chart from rulebook, page 128, except as noted):

Shields Drained (replaces Shields Blown). The ship's Shields are reduced to 0D for the remainder of this round. The ship suffers no permanent damage, and the Shields are recharged to full strength by the beginning of the next round. If the ship has no shields to begin with, it suffers the Controls Ionized result instead.

Controls Ionized. No Change.

Lightly Damaged.
1. No Change.
2. Sensors Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. Sensor Suite Damaged. -1D to all Sensor and Astrogation rolls.
    4-6. Fire Control Damaged. -1D to all Fire Control.
3. Weapons Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. One on-board weapon emplacement is rendered inoperative by a major power surge or system failure; it's lightly damaged. Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
    4-6. One on-board weapon emplacement is hit and destroyed; the gunners take damage (see "Passenger Damage".) Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
4. No Change
5. Shields Blown. The ship loses 1D from its Shields total, which lasts until the shields are repaired. If the ship has no remaining dice in Shields, the penalty is applied to the ship's Particle Shields (Hull) up to a maximum of -2D. If the Particle Shields are already reduced by 2D, the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result.
6. No Change.

Heavily Damaged.
1. No Change.
2. Sensors Badly Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. Sensor Suite Damaged. -2D to all Sensor and Astrogation rolls.
    4-6. Fire Control Damaged. -2D to all Fire Control
3. Weapons Badly Damaged. Re-Roll 1D:
    1-3. All weapons of one type in one fire arc are rendered inoperative due to a major power surge or system failure, and must be repaired before they can be used again.
    4-6. All weapons of one type in one fire arc are destroyed by a series of power overloads. The gunners take damage (see "Passenger Damage".) Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
4. No Change

5. Shields Blown. The ship loses 2D from its Shields total, which lasts until the shields are repaired. If the ship has no remaining dice in Shields, the penalty is applied to the ship's Particle Shields (Hull) up to a maximum of -2D. If the Particle Shields are already reduced by 2D, the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result.

6. No Change.

Severely Damaged.
1-4. No Change.
5 - Controls Damaged / Bridge Smashed. The ship's control systems are badly damaged. -3D to all skill rolls. For starfighters and space transports, the ship's control linkages and computer systems have been damaged; for capital ships, the ship's bridge or other central command station has taken a direct hit, killing or injuring many of the ship's senior officers.
6. Sensors Destroyed. All Sensors are rendered inoperable. Fire Control is reduced by -4D, and Piloting and Astrogation suffer a -4D penalty due to the loss of all sensor support for navigation purposes.

Destroyed. - No Change.

Catastrophic Damage. (Replaces Destroyed for PC-manned ships)
1-3 - Structural Damage. The ship is so badly damaged that it begins to come apart. The crew has 1D rounds to abandon ship before it is destroyed.

4-5 - Blazing Hulk. The ship is badly damaged and fire rages inside. Roll 1D every round; on a 1, the ship explodes.

6 - Destroyed. The ship instantly explodes in a ball of flame, and all aboard are killed.

Passenger Damage. While the existing rules for passenger damage work fine for small ships (those with a half-dozen crew or fewer), they don't represent the effects of damage on ships with larger crews (in the hundreds or thousands range). Rather than rolling damage against each individual crewman, apply the damage value as a penalty to the ship's Crew Skill dice levels. This represents how crew casualties affect the crew's ability as a whole to operate the ship.
    Lightly Damaged - -1D for 1 round.
    Heavily Damaged - -3D for 1 round, -2D for remainder of battle, -1D until crew casualties can be replaced.
    Severely Damaged - -6D for 1 round, -4D for remainder of battle, -2D until crew casualties can be replaced.
    Catastrophic Damage - Special: reserved for PC manner ships. Characters will have an indeterminate number of rounds to evacuate the ship before it is Destroyed.
    Destroyed - All crew killed. The only exceptions will be NPCs who managed to make it to escape pods with seconds to spare. This allows the GM to preserve the life of major villains and such in the interests of continuing the story.

at the beginning i would to say that like your ideas very much but i do have a question about Shield drained.

Is the impact not too strong?

for example

Weapons Damage: 6D

Ship Hull 4D, Shields 2D

The attacker has 4 of this weapon -> 4 Shots per round

1. Shot 6D vs. 6D

If you get a shields drained result the resistance for the next 3 shots ist reduced to 4D

In the mathematical mean you get the 21 for damage and 14 for resistance -> 3 times lightly damaged because of a shield drained result in the first place

Why did you choose this variant?

Greetings

DM
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denderan marajain wrote:
at the beginning i would to say that like your ideas very much but i do have a question about Shield drained.

Is the impact not too strong?

I don't think so. There is at least one incidence in the EU (X-Wing: Wraith Squadron) where this tactic is used deliberately, with X-Wings firing two volleys of proton torpedoes, one which disrupts the shields of a Nebulon-B frigate, allowing the second volley to penetrate for greater damage. So, firing weapons in sequence to bring down shields to facilitate subsequent attacks is a facet of the SW EU.

On top of that, it is just a temporary window, as opposed to permanent damage (as it was under the Shields Blown result), since the shields will be back up to full strength at the end of the following round, without requiring any sort of repair roll. Unless an attack that hits for damage as the result of a Shields Drained result manages to hit the shield generator for damage...

denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick and logical answer
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where it says 'no change', could you write the actual effects, given that my rules are not with me but also for a better overview.

Cheers!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Where it says 'no change', could you write the actual effects, given that my rules are not with me but also for a better overview.

Cheers!

Likewise, and good to see you again.

I'm AFK at the moment, but as soon as I get a chance to break out my laptop, I will do that.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per ZzaphodD's request, here is the compiled Damage Chart, including all of the rule changes I've included up to this point.

REVISED STARSHIP DAMAGE CHART (use chart from rulebook, page 128, except as noted):

Shields Drained. (replaces Shields Blown). The ship's Shields are reduced to 0D for the remainder of this round. The ship suffers no permanent damage, and the Shields are recharged to full strength by the beginning of the next round. If all the shields have already been blown or the ship has no shields to begin with, it suffers the Ionization result instead.

Ionization. The ship's controls are temporarily overwhelmed by power surges. All actions involving ship systems suffer a -1D penalty; this affects Maneuverability, Weapons, Sensors, Shields, Astrogation, and even Hull (Particle Shields, up to a maximum of -2D). All penalties are cumulative (stack with other Ionization penalties) and temporary (roll off at a rate of 1D per round). Any ship system reduced to 0D by penalties can not be used until enough penalty dice roll off. In particular:
    0D Maneuverability = Ship must maintain same heading and speed, in addition to any Lost Moves.

0D Fire Control = Weapon may not be fired.
In addition, each -1D Ionization penalty inflicts 1 Lost Move (See below for Lost Moves).

Lightly Damaged.
1. Ship loses -1D to Maneuverability (If Maneuverability is at 0D, it suffers -1 Move)
2. Sensors Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. Sensor Suite Damaged. -1D to all Sensor and Astrogation rolls.
    4-6. Fire Control Damaged. -1D to all Fire Control.
3. Weapons Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. One on-board weapon emplacement is rendered inoperative by a major power surge or system failure; it's lightly damaged. Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
    4-6. One on-board weapon emplacement is hit and destroyed; the gunners take damage (see "Passenger Damage".) Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
4. Hyperdrive Damaged. Double the Astrogation Time to Use; if the pilot wants to try to jump to hyperspace in one round, add +10 to Difficulty.
5. Shields Blown. The ship loses 1D from its Shields total, which lasts until the shields are repaired. If the ship has no remaining dice in Shields, the penalty is applied to the ship's Particle Shields (Hull). If the Particle Shields are already reduced to 0D, the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result.
6. Engines Damaged. -1 Move

Heavily Damaged.
If a Heavily Damaged ship is Lightly Damaged or Heavily Damaged again, it becomes Severely Damaged.
1. Ship loses -2D to Maneuverability (If Maneuverability is at 0D, it suffers -2 Move)
2. Sensors Badly Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. Sensor Suite Damaged. -2D to all Sensor and Astrogation rolls.
    4-6. Fire Control Damaged. -2D to all Fire Control
3. Weapons Badly Damaged. Re-Roll 1D:
    1-3. All weapons of one type in one fire arc are rendered inoperative due to a major power surge or system failure, and must be repaired before they can be used again.
    4-6. All weapons of one type in one fire arc are destroyed by a series of power overloads. The gunners take damage (see "Passenger Damage".) Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
4. Hyperdrive Damaged. Increase all Astrogation Difficulties by +10 until drive is repaired (Moderate Repair roll and 1 hour of work)
5. Shields Blown. The ship loses 2D from its Shields total, which lasts until the shields are repaired. If the ship has no remaining dice in Shields, the penalty is applied to the ship's Particle Shields (Hull). If the Particle Shields are already reduced to 0D, the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result.
6. Engines Damaged. -2 Move

Severely Damaged.
If a Severely Damaged ship is damaged again, it is Destroyed (or becomes Catastrophically Damaged, at GM's discretion).
1. Dead In Space. All drives and maneuvering systems are destroyed. The vehicle is adrift in space.
2. Overloaded Reactor. The ship's reactor is overloading; unless it's shut down (Easy Repair Roll), the reactor will explode in 1D rounds and destroy the ship.
3. Disabled Hyperdrive. The ship's main hyperdrives is damaged, requiring a Moderate Repair roll and one hour of work. The ship's backup hyperdrive (if any) is still functional.
4. Disabled Weapons. All weapons systems lose power. Roll 1D:
    1-4: Weapons are Severely Damaged but may be repaired.
    5-6: All weapons aboard the ship are Destroyed.

5. Controls Damaged / Bridge Smashed. The ship's control systems are badly damaged. -3D to all skill rolls. For starfighters and space transports, the ship's control linkages and computer systems have been damaged; for capital ships, the ship's bridge or other central command station has taken a direct hit, killing or injuring many of the ship's senior officers.
6. Sensors Destroyed. All Sensors are rendered inoperable. Fire Control is reduced by -4D, and Piloting and Astrogation suffer a -4D penalty due to the loss of all sensor support for navigation purposes.

Destroyed. - The ship is instantly destroyed and explodes in a ball of flame. Everyone aboard is killed (GMs may make exceptions for major NPCs or recurring villains at their discretion).

Catastrophic Damage. (Replaces Destroyed for PC-manned ships at GM's discretion)
1-3 - Structural Damage. The ship is so badly damaged that it begins to come apart. The crew has 1D rounds to abandon ship before it is destroyed. Due to damage, the interior of the ship is treated as Moderate Terrain for characters trying to get to the escape pods.
4-5 - Blazing Hulk. The ship is badly damaged and fire rages inside. Roll 1D every round; on a 1, the ship explodes. Due to damage and internal fires, the interior of the ship is treated as Very Difficult Terrain for characters trying to get to the escape pods.
6 - Destroyed. The ship instantly explodes in a ball of flame, and all aboard suffer 12D damage.

LOST MOVES
Lost Moves are cumulative. For example, a starship that suffers a -1 Move result, then a -2 Move result is at -3 Moves.

-1 Move = The ship is limited to High Speed.
-2 Moves = The ship is limited to Cruising Speed.
-3 Moves = The ship is limited to Cautious Speed.
-4 Moves = The ship's drives are disabled; it's dead in space. The drives can be repaired, but are Severely Damaged.
-5 Moves = The ship's drives are destroyed; it's dead in space and the drives can not be repaired. The ship must either be abandoned or towed to a shipyard where a replacement engine can be installed.

PASSENGER DAMAGE
Passengers may be injured when a ship suffers damage or crashes. Use your judgment to decide whether a character takes damage, using the following chart as a baseline:
    Lightly Damaged: 1D
    Heavily Damaged: 3D
    Severely Damaged: 6D
    Destroyed: 12D
When calculating damage to crew and passengers aboard larger ships (with crews in the dozens to hundreds of thousands), use the following penalties, applied to the ship's Crew Skill dice values, representing how crew casualties affect the crew's ability as a whole to operate the ship.
    Lightly Damaged - -1D for 1 round.
    Heavily Damaged - -3D for 1 round, -2D for remainder of battle, -1D until crew casualties can be replaced.
    Severely Damaged - -6D for 1 round, -4D for remainder of battle, -2D until crew casualties can be replaced.
    Catastrophic Damage - Special: reserved for PC manned ships. Characters will have an indeterminate number of rounds to evacuate the ship before it is Destroyed.
    Destroyed - All crew killed. The only exceptions will be NPCs who managed to make it to escape pods with seconds to spare. This allows the GM to preserve the life of major villains and such in the interests of continuing the story.

IONIZATION DAMAGE
Ionization damage can have a cumulative effect that completely overwhelms a ship's systems, causing permanent damage that must be repaired before the ship can be used. Using the following chart for cumulative Ionization damage:
    0-4 = 1D Ionization
    5-8 = 2D Ionization
    9-12 = 3D Ionization
    13-16 = 4D Ionization
    17+ = Controls Dead (See Below)
If in a single round, Ionization damage exceeds 4D, it causes permanent damage to the target ship's systems. For example, if a ship suffering a -2D Ionization penalty is hit by an ion cannon for 3D of Ionization Damage, totalling 5D Ionization, the ship suffers the Controls Dead result, and is dead in space, adrift, with all drives, maneuvering and other ship systems disabled. For degree of damage, use the following chart:
    17-20 (5D Ionization) = Controls Dead (Lightly Damaged)
    21-24 (6D Ionization) = Controls Dead (Heavily Damaged)
    25-28 (7D Ionization) = Controls Dead (Severely Damaged)
    29+ (8D Ionization) = Controls Dead (Destroyed)
Repair Difficulties and Times are as listed under the appropriate Repair skill.

Once a ship has been disabled by a Controls Dead result, it can no longer suffer additional Ionization results until it is repaired. This is due to blown circuit breakers and loss of power protecting ship's systems from additional power surges.

SHIP LOCATION TARGETING

1). Gunner declares which system he’s targeting: Maneuvering, Sensors, Weapons, Hyperdrive, Shields or Engines.

2). Gunner then rolls to attack at -2D (effectively, shooting at a smaller Scale target).

3). On a successful hit, do not roll on the random chart to see which system was damaged; just apply the result to the declared system as indicated by the Damage roll (Lightly Damaged, Heavily Damaged, etc.)

4). On Severely Damaged, use the following results:
    Maneuvering = Controls Damaged
    Shields = Overloaded Reactor
    Engines = Dead In Space

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:36 am; edited 5 times in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no idea what all this means, but CRMcNeill's Scale System so impressed me that I simply had to copy all this down in a docfile that's going to go into my Google Docs Star Wars folder for easy download.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I have absolutely no idea what all this means, but CRMcNeill's Scale System so impressed me that I simply had to copy all this down in a docfile that's going to go into my Google Docs Star Wars folder for easy download.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. A lot of the answers will be found in the previous posts...

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that, CRM. I have to admit that the number-crunching and attention to game mechanics bores me. I find myself more interested in the fluff and the stories of games, rather than the nitty-gritty of how the games work. And I tend to think of myself as a Rules Lawyer even so!

But yeah, I'd much rather have a GM who is familiar with the rules but can still write or even improvise a good story rather than a GM who places emphasis on whether the rules could allow something and thereby interrupt a good story.

But what CRM is doing here is very useful, if it makes more sense and is more streamlined and more efficient than the RAW (even if I'm too lazy to get into the details of it myself).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I appreciate that, CRM. I have to admit that the number-crunching and attention to game mechanics bores me. I find myself more interested in the fluff and the stories of games, rather than the nitty-gritty of how the games work. And I tend to think of myself as a Rules Lawyer even so!

There's Rules Lawyers and then there's Rules Mechanics.

A Rules Lawyer will tell you what the rules ARE and, often, insist that you follow them, even if they're stupid.

A Rules Mechanic usually knows full well what the rules are, but then says "Well, if we strip out this bit here, we can get another seven rolls per hour out of the game, and the whole system runs smoother, makes more sense."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: