The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Galaxy Guide 16: The Old Republic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Galaxy Guide 16: The Old Republic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Galaxy Guide 16: The Old Republic Reply with quote

Happy May 4th, everyone!

I have a very special Star Wars Day treat for you: Galaxy Guide 16: The Old Republic is here!

Over a year in development, it is a simply massive document, clocking in at just over 420 pages. It includes:

96 NPC characters, 18 planets, 61 species, 71 starships, 59 vehicles, 38 weapons and equipment, 53 droids, 61 creatures, and 17 adventure hooks!

You can find the book here:
http://d6holocron.com/downloads/books/GG16_The_Old_Republic.pdf

A few notes about this edition:

First and foremost, this is a *fan* book, and is not meant to be copied, printed, sold, or distributed in any way that is inconsistent with the faith placed in the fan community by the license holders. The book is culled from many freely-available online sources, which are themselves cited and referenced to give full credit to the original authors. This book is designed only as a celebration of the greatest roleplaying game system ever written.

This first release is an eBook edition, and is not meant to be printed (were one so inclined). For one thing, the inclusion of a front and back cover throws off the even-odd page margins. A properly-formatted edition will be released as a second printing once enough errata has been accumulated to warrant a revised edition. (Errata can be noted in another thread, here: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5554
). Yes, there will be errata. I mean, it's over FOUR HUNDRED pages long!

Thirdly, some might be wondering why it is formatted unlike either the old WEG material or the new REUP books: this was intentional. Harkening back to the Tales of the Jedi Companion, it was felt that the Old Republic created enough of a unique and standalone atmosphere that it warranted a unique presentation to reflect that (although the book does evoke classic WEG supplements Smile )

And lastly... Have fun! Dig into a whole new era of Star Wars Roleplaying, and post your thoughts, questions, and experiences here for all to share!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... be honest... how long have you been sitting on this to have a May 4th release? There's no shame in it... just tell us. Smile
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe me if I said zero days?

I verified the file at 6pm and considered posting tomorrow, before I realized that I had a crazy good reason to post today... Smile

There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny....
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty amazing.

And this is just an impressive document. It's pretty amazing that just one person cranked out this much content. I'm also kind of flattered that you've sourced some of the content I generated years ago.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vary cool
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a beautiful beast of a Galaxy Guide!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn son I thought you said a week from now. This looks gorgeous. Gonna have you on the show and talk about this beast. Could I suggest a version without covers and a wraparound cover for both rgb and greyscale using the Lulu guidelines?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Galaxy Guide 16: The Old Republic Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
I have a very special Star Wars Day treat for you: Galaxy Guide 16: The Old Republic is here!

Impressive. Most impressive.

Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWR - those are great suggestions! I'll probably start prepping that stuff soon! And yeah, we should totally set up a time to be on the show!

Chesh - ha, you kidding? One of the reasons for the delay in this book was digging through the KOTOR conversion and making sure everything fit with the stats already generated. That and the TOTJ Companion were my benchmarks. As far as I'm concerned, your stuff is WEG 'canon,' (if that means anything...). But I figure so long as we respect and reference the awesome work ready put out, we can build a nice, reliable Jedi library of material. Same reason little things like the lightsaber repair skill changing to lightsaber repair/engineering, in keeping with REUP.
DirkCorman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that droid advert! Brings back memories of that R2 ad in the original sourcebook.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
But I figure so long as we respect and reference the awesome work ready put out, we can build a nice, reliable Jedi library of material. Same reason little things like the lightsaber repair skill changing to lightsaber repair/engineering, in keeping with REUP.

I think this is a good philosophy. After all, the more we swipe things from each other, the more compatible our stats are rather then having 5 different sets of status for the same piece of gear.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all the throwbacks to the 2nd edition revised and expandeds ads inserts. It makes me feel like some of the ideas during the imperial time were taken from these cold war ads.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't they fun? I wanted to add so many more of them, but had to cut due to time. Maybe future editions...?

Those were the best parts of the 2ERE book.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Mojomoe! Can't wait to run with this beast. Major score.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying the book. Did have a question though. It seems to contain some Alien art I've never seen before but I'd love to get my hands on it.

Where did you get the non-game art such as Chevin and Devaronian?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: