The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Difficulty of Parrying a Blaster Bolt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Difficulty of Parrying a Blaster Bolt Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I suggest that a power capable of telling a Jedi exactly when and where to move their lightsaber to intercept bolts of high energy plasma (effectively, informing the user of exactly where the bolt will be before it gets there) will also let the Jedi know that it’s a good idea to let that harmless looking bag or bottle just fly by. We’ve already established that the occasional dodge fits into lightsaber combat, so why would a Jedi using lightsaber combat have to parry it instead of just sidestepping it?

This did not help Luke when deflecting ion paddle beamer.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
This did not help Luke when deflecting ion paddle beamer.

And one scene in Truce at Bakura somehow overrides the entire rest of the EU?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many things, it enriches EU.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't feel the rule technically means that the archer must announce there is poison on the arrow, since a non-poisoned arrow is still dangerous too. But poisoned arrows in Star Wars? This does sound like something only an evil GM using RAW would do specifically to defeat Jedi characters with Danger Sense. That is anathema to this spirit of the game itself. The point of this game is for the group of gamers to co-create entertaining Star Wars stories. GMs shouldn't be out to kill PCs, even if rules-lawyering allows it under RAW.

Pure gold.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Like many things, it enriches EU.

Fine. I'll explain it away by saying that he didn't sense the danger because it was a non-lethal attack that just ended up leaving him numb in part of his leg, and didn't affect his combat.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But poisoned arrows in Star Wars?

Yes, on the low-tech, dangerous worlds it essential for the survival. Especially when hunting big predators.

Whill wrote:
This does sound like something only an evil GM using RAW would do specifically to defeat Jedi characters with Danger Sense. That is anathema to this spirit of the game itself. The point of this game is for the group of gamers to co-create entertaining Star Wars stories. GMs shouldn't be out to kill PCs, even if rules-lawyering allows it under RAW.

It was good npc vs bad npc. Archer (good) was a pathfinder helping players.
But it's Star Wars, heroes shoot and tend to get shot. That's how this business works.

-----------------------------------------
Edit:
Quote corrected, thanks.

Last edited by Darklighter79 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
But it's Star Wars, heroes shoot and tend to get shot. That's how this business works.

I tend to agree with you. There is plenty of room in the SWU for morally neutral, or even morally highly questionable characters. If the character's background is that of someone bent on revenge, and the character is then played to that background, then fine. It's a big galaxy, and not everyone can be noble and heroic. In fact, nobility and heroism are notable by their rarity, not because they are common virtues.

EDIT: Quote reference error notification removed.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interpreted Whill's statement to be a critique of GMs who metagame, not saying that a poisoned arrow couldn't/shouldn't exist in SW.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:
But poisoned arrows in Star Wars?

Yes, on the low-tech, dangerous worlds it essential for the survival. Especially when hunting big predators.

And it is essential for evil GMs hunting for ways to kill Jedi PCs with Danger Sense.

Naaman wrote:
Whill wrote:
But poisoned arrows in Star Wars? This does sound like something only an evil GM using RAW would do specifically to defeat Jedi characters with Danger Sense. That is anathema to this spirit of the game itself. The point of this game is for the group of gamers to co-create entertaining Star Wars stories. GMs shouldn't be out to kill PCs, even if rules-lawyering allows it under RAW.

Pure gold.

Darklighter79 wrote:

Is that how Star Wars works? I've only been playing this game for 30 years. FYI the above comment reads condescending. I'm choosing the interpretation that this isn't patronizing.

Although rare, arrows have appeared in my game a few times over the last 30 years. But I have never shot a poison arrow at a PC. Blasters are already little deadlier in my game than RAW. I don't need to make the game more deadly with poison that Jedi can't sense. I hope it is obvious from context I am not an evil GM.

Darklighter79 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
That being said, I tend to agree with you. There is plenty of room in the SWU for morally neutral, or even morally highly questionable characters. If the character's background is that of someone bent on revenge, and the character is then played to that background, then fine. It's a big galaxy, and not everyone can be noble and heroic. In fact, nobility and heroism are notable by their rarity, not because they are common virtues.

This is an odd tangent. I agree, nobility and heroism are rare. Moralities of all kinds do exist. It sure is a big galaxy. I was not saying that poison does not exist in my SWU. I am not saying there aren't characters somewhere in the galaxy who use poison.

I have had primitive and medieval planets appear in adventures on occasion. I ran an adventure where PCs went to the Forest Moon of Endor. I even ran a wacky adventure where the PC ship was transported into another dimension with a medieval flat-earth world ruled by an evil dragon named Satan (The adventure was called "Satan's Supper"). All of these places had bows and arrows.

I was specifically referring to the GM tactic of using poison arrows to defeat Jedi PCs. I have never shot poison arrows at PCs (Jedi or not). Things exist in my SWU that just don't ever happen to PCs in adventures I run. No character experiences the entire galaxy. For another example, I tend to avoid using grenades in my game. That doesn't mean they don't exist in my SWU.

Naaman wrote:
I interpreted Whill's statement to be a critique of GMs who metagame, not saying that a poisoned arrow couldn't/shouldn't exist in SW.

Thank you!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Is that how Star Wars works?

Yes, as it is space opera with larger than life adventures. Combat is always present. Can you show any Star Wars movie where the heroes do not shoot and are not shoot back? Any.
Not to be misunderstood - I do not mean GM to kill heroes, but give them the thrill and excitement.

Quote:
Blasters are already little deadlier in my game than RAW.

Basic blasters are way more dangerous that bows and arrows. If GM wants to make a challenge against Jedi he can use sonic weapons, flamers, barrage ect. (movies, tv series show many examples).

Quote:
I was specifically referring to the GM tactic of using poison arrows to defeat Jedi PCs

Well, I have never used it against Jedi (player controlled) - poisoned arrow. Simply because the enemies of Jedi did not consider it to be an "effective weapon" for such job. Like Jango who did not use poisoned darts against Kenobi.
The point was to show that maybe there's something wrong with RAW for LSC deflection (especially after seeing prequels).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worthy of note, I add Scale modifiers to the Difficulty for Lightsaber Parry, as well. So, yes, a Jedi PC can still parry bolts from Starship and Walker-Scale weapons, but he has to eat a +6D or +8D Scale modifier to do it. My reasoning here is that larger scale weapons will have both greater beam diameter and greater intensity.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:
I was specifically referring to the GM tactic of using poison arrows to defeat Jedi PCs

Well, I have never used it against Jedi (player controlled) - poisoned arrow. Simply because the enemies of Jedi did not consider it to be an "effective weapon" for such job. Like Jango who did not use poisoned darts against Kenobi.
The point was to show that maybe there's something wrong with RAW for LSC deflection (especially after seeing prequels).

LsC is what this whole thread is about. Point, check. I never said you used poison arrows against Jedi. I wasn't even replying to you. My quote block in the post shows that I was replying to CRM. I didn't see who first brought up poisoned arrows. I just assumed it was garhkal. Again... I was specifically referring to the GM tactic of using poison arrows to defeat Jedi PCs.

The full quote that Whill wrote:
Blasters are already little deadlier in my game than RAW. I don't need to make the game more deadly with poison that Jedi can't sense.

Darklighter79 wrote:
Quote:
Blasters are already little deadlier in my game than RAW.

Basic blasters are way more dangerous that bows and arrows. If GM wants to make a challenge against Jedi he can use sonic weapons, flamers, barrage ect. (movies, tv series show many examples).

I've got a good grip on how to make adventures challenging. You cherry pick my post to lecture me? If blasters are more deadly than RAW in my game, that means my whole game is more deadly. The point is, I do not need poisoned arrows Jedi PC can't sense to make the game even more deadly than it already is.

The full quote that Whill wrote:
Is that how Star Wars works? I've only been playing this game for 30 years. FYI the above comment reads condescending. I'm choosing the interpretation that this isn't patronizing.

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:
Is that how Star Wars works?

Yes, as it is space opera with larger than life adventures. Combat is always present. Can you show any Star Wars movie where the heroes do not shoot and are not shoot back? Any.
Not to be misunderstood - I do not mean GM to kill heroes, but give them the thrill and excitement.

I've got a pretty good grasp on giving players thrills and excitement. So you are treating sarcasm as a genuine question and clearly patronizing me further after I gave you the benefit of the doubt before. Now you are actually trolling the owner of this website. Thou shalt not troll. You will please stop this, now. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Also worthy of note, I add Scale modifiers to the Difficulty for Lightsaber Parry, as well. So, yes, a Jedi PC can still parry bolts from Starship and Walker-Scale weapons, but he has to eat a +6D or +8D Scale modifier to do it. My reasoning here is that larger scale weapons will have both greater beam diameter and greater intensity.

I can see that (and agree) for up to a certain BR of beam. So walker ok. Space transport? NO.. Beam's to wide to be blocked.

Whilll wrote:
LsC is what this whole thread is about. Point, check. I never said you used poison arrows against Jedi. I wasn't even replying to you. My quote block in the post shows that I was replying to CRM. I didn't see who first brought up poisoned arrows. I just assumed it was garhkal. Again... I was specifically referring to the GM tactic of using poison arrows to defeat Jedi PCs.

That was Darklighter back on page 5/6.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can see that (and agree) for up to a certain BR of beam. So walker ok. Space transport? NO.. Beam's to wide to be blocked.

Less of a hard restriction than simply scaling up the penalty so high that you can't parry it no matter what your LSC+Sense-MAPs total is. Sure, you can pull it off on a FP, but good luck making a regular occurance out of it.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Less of a hard restriction than simply scaling up the penalty so high that you can't parry it no matter what your LSC+Sense-MAPs total is. Sure, you can pull it off on a FP, but good luck making a regular occurance out of it.

For the clarification: if deflection is success and player wants to redirect shot at the attacker, he rolls a character scale hit but with the original scale damage? Plus optional ROE damage?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 10 of 19

Jump to: