The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Most Beautiful Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Most Beautiful Ship Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was designed to be weird and discomfiting. If the effect was to invoke an ominous feeling the first time you see the Slave One fire up its engines in pursuit of the Falcon at Hoth, it certainly achieved the desired result.
Slave I struck me as ludicrous not ominous. It looked like a red flying flat iron.

Quote:
This got me thinking of the possibility of a submersible capital ship in the corvette or frigate size range. Picture a ship fully capable of operating in space like any other ship in the SWU, but with the added advantage of being able to land in a planet's ocean and operate submerged. It'd make a great mobile base for covert operations, much like a modern submarine, but with the added mobility of being able to move from planet to planet under its own power.
If it could use force fields to create a launch tube from underwater that would make it an interesting secret starfighter base.

Last edited by Bren on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
This got me thinking of the possibility of a submersible capital ship in the corvette or frigate size range. Picture a ship fully capable of operating in space like any other ship in the SWU, but with the added advantage of being able to land in a planet's ocean and operate submerged. It'd make a great mobile base for covert operations, much like a modern submarine, but with the added mobility of being able to move from planet to planet under its own power.
If it could use force fields to create a launch tube from underwater that would make it an interesting secret starfighter base.

In AJ#2, there was an article about planetary assault operations that featured a submersible carrier. Its stats weren't much (and why WEG made a 200 meter long submersible aircraft carrier Walker-scale, I will never understand), and it was limited to one planet, but it might be a useful starting point.

As far as fighters, the other option would be to equip it with amphibious starfighters.

For the ship itself? Maybe a SeaQuest DSV crossover?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Wasn't the Multi-Environment Space boat that was first introduced in 1988 in WEG's adventure Battle for the Golden Sun also submersible?

From the description that it can operate in liquid environments leads me to believe that means underwater.

Yes, "Multi-environment Space Boat" says it all. The reference to liquid is acknowledging that the real-life universe has planets with oceans and seas made of other liquids besides water, so those would likely also exist in the Star Wars galaxy and the space boat would be able to traverse those as well. But yes, liquid most certainly does include water since that's what the oceans of Sedri, the planet in that adventure, are made of.

Battle for the Golden Sun wrote:
Description: The Rebel craft Explorer is a modified multi-environment vehicle that can operate in space using hyperdrive or sublight engines, and in planetary atmospheres or liquid environments using repulsorlift engines. Hastily supplied and refitted for this underwater mission, Explorer carries a low-power tractor beam projector for anchoring its position at sea. The ship has a full set of passive and active sensors, including radar, sonar, visual scanning, and energy-wave detectors for use in space and under sea.

That adventure is great for having the Imperial Aquatic Garrison, Seatroopers, AT-AT Swimmers, and TIE Boats!

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
The Star Wars galaxy is filled with lifeforms requiring parameters similar to Earth. Earth is a water-world, which are terrestrial planets in the star's habitable zone (having water in liquid form) with hydrospheres of about 50% or higher. It is extremely unrealistic for planets with a hydrosphere of less than 50% to be capable of supporting Earth-range life that exists in Star Wars. Thus, in my SWU most of these planets have a hydrosphere of at least 50%, which means there are many opportunities to have adventures with journeys underwater.

I like it. Underwater could be a good place for a mobile hideout. Yes, please stat this!

This reminded me of this blurb in a WotC SW RPG book about the Mon Calamari revolt against the Empire:

Rebellion Era Sourcebook p.55 wrote:
Amphibious starships that had been constructed at secret sites deep in the world's oceans emerged to drive Imperial vessels from the star system.

Aquatic capital starships would really flip Sutehp out, but this concept doesn't break my sense of Star Wars verisimilitude either.

CRMcNeill wrote:
As far as fighters, the other option would be to equip it with amphibious starfighters.

I see the EU has multiple precedents for aquatic spaceship technology.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
This reminded me of this blurb in a WotC SW RPG book about the Mon Calamari revolt against the Empire:

Amphibious starships that had been constructed at secret sites deep in the world's oceans emerged to drive Imperial vessels from the star system.

Aquatic capital starships would really flip Sutehp out, but this concept doesn't break my sense of Star Wars verisimilitude either.

CRMcNeill wrote:

Well, if there's precedent for it, I can't argue with it. I'll be flipping out in a minute anyway. I'll make sure to keep a safe distance from y'all.

Whill, which book are you quoting from? I want to see this myself, but there's no such book as the Rebellion Era Sourcebook. There's the D6 Rebel Alliance Sourcebook and there's the D20 Rebellion Era Campaign Guide and neither one of them has the sentence you quoted on their respective page 55 in any case. Razz
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:

CRMcNeill wrote:

Well, if there's precedent for it, I can't argue with it. I'll be flipping out in a minute anyway. I'll make sure to keep a safe distance from y'all.

Whill, which book are you quoting from? I want to see this myself, but there's no such book as the Rebellion Era Sourcebook.

Excuse me, but there most certainly is such a book. I own it and am looking at a copy of it as I type. It's where I got that exact quote from, on p.55. You ought to be more careful with your language. Some people might think you're calling them crazy or dishonest. I don't live in a fantasy world or make up Star Wars sources that don't exist. Most people that know we well find me to be sensible and reliable. And if you must challenge someone so boldly by accusing them of falsehoods, you ought to at least do some research first.

Rebellion Era Sourcebook (Amazon)

Rebellion Era Sourcebook (Wookieepedia)

I have found several articles on Wookieepedia that refer to secret shipyards producing warships under the oceans on Dac during the Imperial Occupation. It has been referred to in other sources too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Oh that Rebellion Era Sourcebook!

I stand corrected.

I think this is one of the few SWRPG books I don't have. Although once I saw the picture of the cover I immediately recognized it. When I tried to find your quote, I looked in my books for the Rebellion Era Sourcebook but didn't find it, so of course, I made the mistake of assuming it didn't exist.

Yes, this is another humbling experience for me that serves as another reminder of the hidden meaning behind the word "assume" (namely, that it makes an "@$$" out of "u" and "me"). Embarassed

My apologies, Whill. I certainly never meant to imply that you're dishonest. I honestly didn't know which book you were referring to; that's why I asked for clarification. As for crazy...well, you're no crazier than the rest of us Star Wars geeks. Razz Mr. Green

But yeah, as this is one of the few books I don't own (or at least I may have misplaced the copy), I definitely need to get a copy of this book so I can look up your reference to aquatic spaceships. As much as I might dislike the idea (*suppresses dry heave*), if there's precedent for it, that will certainly settle the debate for me.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
As for crazy...well, you're no crazier than the rest of us Star Wars geeks. Razz Mr. Green

But yeah, as this is one of the few books I don't own (or at least I may have misplaced the copy), I definitely need to get a copy of this book

As far as WotC SW RPG, I have the entire Saga edition line except for the tiles thing (which I regret not getting) and maybe the GM screen. Saga is the only version I've actually played. I have 6 or 7 of the Revised edition hardback books, and only 4 or 5 of the original edition books. The Rebellion Era Sourcebook is not a bad book.

Quote:
...so I can look up your reference to aquatic spaceships. As much as I might dislike the idea (*suppresses dry heave*), if there's precedent for it, that will certainly settle the debate for me.

It doesn't have to settle the "debate" of their verisimilitude in Star Wars because if you don't like the concept they don't have to exist in your SWU. I can't think of any other possible debate you may be referring to because I never got the sense that you were disbelieving in the existence of a WEG Calamari light freighter that also functioned underwater (the DeepWater), which is what sparked this tangent discussion in the first place.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One new design I've grown quite fond of is the Endurance Class Fleet Carrier. It captures a retro look about it that fits well with the Bantam Era stuff, but actually makes the fluff of "The Endurance and the Star Defender were both built on the same hull" actually fit.

LARGE IMAGE: https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/9/9e/Endurance_class_EGTW.jpg
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I amend my entry. I'd forgotten all about the old Amphibious Interstellar Assault Transport/infantry gunship, aka the AIAT/i !

I love this ship, not only for its caricaturist's likeness to a pontoon'ed 1930's era cargo plane, ala the Seaduck from Tailspin, but also for its absurdly bulky proportions!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:

OK, I amend my entry. I'd forgotten all about the old Amphibious Interstellar Assault Transport/infantry gunship, aka the AIAT/i !

I love this ship, not only for its caricaturist's likeness to a pontoon'ed 1930's era cargo plane, ala the Seaduck from Tailspin, but also for its absurdly bulky proportions!

Dude, I thought the same thing when I first saw this pic. It really does look like a seaplane.

Hell, as soon as I saw it, the travel music theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark started playing in my head!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Definitely looks like a caricature of the plane on Tailspin. I bet if you could see through the window there'd be a fat bear flying that thing.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Telsij wrote:
Definitely looks like a caricature of the plane on Tailspin. I bet if you could see through the window there'd be a fat bear flying that thing.

An overweight Balinaka, perhaps?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks too much like a seaplane, to me. I think it would be at home with the prequels, where some things look like something that could easily exists today, like the Diner and the air speeders from Attack of the Clones.

I mean, it's a cool design. I do like it. Hell, I love sea planes. But, not for Star Wars.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Spruce Goose, man.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
That's the Spruce Goose, man.
It doesn't look too spruce to me, more of a Stuffed Goose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: