The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship Damage & Repairs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Starship Damage & Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Starship Damage & Repairs Reply with quote

I wanted to clarify some things about SS damage to make sure I've been running it right.

Let's say the ship is in combat and takes damage. It is heavily damaged and I roll a D6 to determine which system is damaged. I roll a 6 so the ship is now at -2 Move.

Next round the ship is lightly damaged. Since it was heavily damaged before, the ship is now severly damaged. I roll a D6 and get a 3. The ships hyperdrives are disabled.

After the battle the crew is repairing the ship. According to the rules the Hyperdrive will take a Moderate repair roll and one hour of work. The sublight drive on the other hand, will take a moderate repair roll, plus 15% of the ship's cost in parts. The time to repair the sublight will take 15 min, one hour, one day, etc...

Now the fun begins....they decide to fix the hyperdrive and succeed. Does the ship now go from being severly damaged to heavily damaged? What if they fixed the sublight drive first?

I guess my question is: ships have different damage levels sort of like how characters have different wound levels. However the repair skills only list rules for fixing systems. For example, does the crew have to make a roll to repair a ship from heavily damaged to lightly damaged or just worry about fixing the affected systems?

Sorry, maybe this post should have been in the Rules Forum?
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure that they just need to worry about the systems, and each system that they repair requires them to deal with damaged superstructure as well. When successful the ship improves one wound level.

Does anyone know if there are any expanded rules on this?
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xzil Maru wrote:
I figure that they just need to worry about the systems, and each system that they repair requires them to deal with damaged superstructure as well. When successful the ship improves one wound level.

Does anyone know if there are any expanded rules on this?

Not that I'm aware of. And your interpretation would be mine as well... if you fix a broken system, whatever it is, the ship gets healed a "wound level."

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:
... if you fix a broken system, whatever it is, the ship gets healed a "wound level."

If so, then the ship in MA-3PO's situation would never get "completely healed." Here's how I understand the situation:

Lightly damaged = "wound" level 1
Heavily damaged = "wound" level 2
Severely damaged = "wound" level 3

The first hit caused Level 2, then the second hit elevated the ship to Level 3 (Level 2 + Level 1). So here we are at Level 3, but only two systems need repair. If fixing a system on "heals a wound level," then after both systems are repaired, the ship is still lightly damaged.

So I see two ways to deal with this:
1 - Fixing a system "heals" then number of levels associated with the damage that caused the malfunction. E.g. Fixing the hyperdrive first makes the ship go from severely damaged to heavily damaged; but fixing the sublight drive first makes the ship go from severely damaged to lightly damaged.
2 - Fixing a system "heals" a level, and fixing the last system just heals all remaining levels.

I think I'd use method 1 personally.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esjs wrote:
If so, then the ship in MA-3PO's situation would never get "completely healed." Here's how I understand the situation:

Lightly damaged = "wound" level 1
Heavily damaged = "wound" level 2
Severely damaged = "wound" level 3

The first hit caused Level 2, then the second hit elevated the ship to Level 3 (Level 2 + Level 1). So here we are at Level 3, but only two systems need repair. If fixing a system on "heals a wound level," then after both systems are repaired, the ship is still lightly damaged.

So I see two ways to deal with this:
1 - Fixing a system "heals" then number of levels associated with the damage that caused the malfunction. E.g. Fixing the hyperdrive first makes the ship go from severely damaged to heavily damaged; but fixing the sublight drive first makes the ship go from severely damaged to lightly damaged.
2 - Fixing a system "heals" a level, and fixing the last system just heals all remaining levels.

I think I'd use method 1 personally.

I think I see a way around this.

Every time you get hit, note the "damage level" inflicted, such as:

• Shields Blown - Shields Lost 1D
  • Hyperdrive Destroyed - Heavily Damaged

As you repair a system, simply cross out the whole line. Thus if you repair the Shields in my example, the craft would not have improved beyond "Heavily Damaged." If you repair the hyperdrive first, however, the ship would be put back up to Shields Blown. Once you repair both systems, the ship is fully functional / repaired.

I think this is the least amount of bookkeeping and headache.

EDIT: Of course, this begs the question of jury-rigged repairs. I'd have to look that up.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Starship Damage & Repairs Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
Sorry, maybe this post should have been in the Rules Forum?

I agree. Moved this thread to the Official Rules forum.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:

I think I see a way around this.

Every time you get hit, note the "damage level" inflicted, such as:

• Shields Blown - Shields Lost 1D
  • Hyperdrive Destroyed - Heavily Damaged

As you repair a system, simply cross out the whole line. Thus if you repair the Shields in my example, the craft would not have improved beyond "Heavily Damaged." If you repair the hyperdrive first, however, the ship would be put back up to Shields Blown. Once you repair both systems, the ship is fully functional / repaired.

I think this is the least amount of bookkeeping and headache.

I like this rule. Consider it snagged..... (that is if i may).

Razz
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Very Happy I guess I am a mean GM.

when ships get damaged in my game, I consider the primary effect to be the damage levens and the secondary effect is equipment failure.

I allow my players to fix subsystems in combat or shortly after, things like the shields and hull rating, however, require an overhaul to repair.

Not only is this realistic, but its allowed for some very neat "trying to find a repair base" games.

for repairs to the chassis, I charge 25% of the ships NEW value to repair, unless it is something very common like the YT-1300
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd have the PCs make an extra roll to repair the armor, at the expense of some materials/credits, and further rolls to repair the systems. There's a difference between the hull and the guts of a ship.
rivenbarkc
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In this case you might also want to consider skill rolls as well. If a system is lightly damaged, maybe drop the required roll by one level. If the system is severely damaged, maybe increase the required skill roll a level.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I could have sworn I saw something on the ISB Intercepts concerning this, but my initial perusal turned up nothing.

Soooo...

I'll tell you what I *think* I remember reading, seeing as how I can't provide the specific mention.

When repairing items, you must repair them in the reverse order that they were damaged. Each item thus repaired reduces the "damage level" of the ship to what it was prior to that hit.

So therefore, in your example, the group would have to fix the Hyperdrive first. Upon fixing that the ship would be reduced to Heavily Damaged. Then, once they were able to fix the regular drive system, the ship would be back to Undamaged.

Mind you, this is from memory, but I could swear that I've read it in one of the ISB Intercepts or something of that sort.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Grimace's answer barring any other official responses. It makes sense in a way that a ship's lesser systems can not be repaired until a higher level system is repaired. In this case, the hyperdrive motivator is acting up/damaged requiring it to be fixed before the ship's electrical systems allows the shields to be repaired. When I say it makes sense, I say that in simple game logic terms, not actual repair terms.

E
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Damn it! What's taking so long?"

"Well, I gotta fix the Flux Capacitor and Overbooster regulartors before I can even try adjusting the dynamic flow control. And then balance everything. Not to mention the fact that you still haven't gotten proper replacement parts... And that's just the Hyperdrive."

"Proper replacement parts? I got you Duct Tape and Bailing Wire, didn't I?"

"We also need chewing gum."

"You think I'm made of credits???"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true. I also like Grimice's idea. Though who would keep track of it... you or the players?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both ought to be. The GM, so that he knows what kind of modifiers need to be used when rolling (not to mention curtailing unscrupulous players who'd try to snowball him), and the players, so that THEY know what kind of modifiers ought to be used- and in case the GM missed something, which is always possible.

But I'd think both players and GM would want to keep track just so they know what the heck is going on, but that's just mho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: