The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

alternate race stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> alternate race stats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: alternate race stats Reply with quote

Whill you made a statement about having reworked PC races. Do you have that in a document that you can share?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: alternate race stats Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Whill you made a statement about having reworked PC races. Do you have that in a document that you can share?

I do have that in crazy word document, but it is a very rough draft at this point and nowhere close to being shareable. I'm very, very slow. But whenever it is ready, I will share it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think we should have something like this with humans, I would argue that some of the cultures will allow for special abilities like Natural Pilot, Tech savvy , various bonuses like that, but also depending on their home world and culture penalities like to mech or tech skills or attributes even, those things.

I do see some species having "unique" features that is biological, but anything cultural I could see as something "all" could roll for that match the basis of similar cultures.

If we take the +1D to tactics that is often given to the chiss, then is this biological or is this cultural, if cultural then a human martial culture, or a duros martial culture could qualify for the same.

So a new revamp od races is more than welcomed even in a word doc.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already precedent for something like that in the old EU.

Lorrdians are genetically baseline humans, but have PER 3D/5D, Kinetic Communication and Body Language as special skills, and the Former Slaves story factor.

Similarly, Socorrans - originally Corellians - occasionally had an aptitude for languages (translated into a +1D bonus, I believe). Corellians had a reputation for being excellent pilots. It wouldn't be too out of character to have Coruscant natives have a bonus to Bureaucracy if they're skydwellers, and a bonus to Streetwise if they're lowdwellers. Further expanding on that, one might imagine someone from an agriworld to have bonuses to one or two relevant skills, or perhaps a bonus to repairing agridroids or other agricultural equipment.

There's several ways of generating bonuses for various alien races. Some, like the Verpine, get a straight up bonus to all rolls on an attribute. Others, like the Meri and the Teltiors, get a bonus to a skill, while yet others (like the Meri and Yaka) get a discount on developing a given skill. The least powerful version is the one Duros (and others) get, where initial skill dice allocated to a given set of skills count double - but they can't allocate more than 1D in those skills.

So, with that in mind, here's a suggestion for how this can be handled.

ALTERNATE CULTURE HUMANS

A human from an 'alternate' culture embodies the stereotype of their culture to a tee, and can only with difficulty pass as someone not from that culture. Working together with the GM, one can develop any culture to fit the concept of a new character.

The character gains the Story Factor Culture: (Specific Culture), and a Special Ability or Special Skill related to their culture.

Sample Cultures:

Culture: Corellian Deserved or not, all Corellians have a reputation for being independent minded yet daring, pragmatic, and reckless in their actions - as well as being excellent if brash pilots, and somewhat sentimental when it comes to Corellian treats. Corellians were also known as excellent engineers and skilled innovators. Han Solo was a well-known Corellian.

A Corellian can choose one of the following skills for a +1D bonus: any Starship Piloting skill, any Starship Repair skill, Drink Mixology.

Culture: Socorran Socorrans hail from Socorro, a fairly isolated system in the Outer Rim Territories. Descended from Corellians, they've kept some of the fierce independence of Corellians, but have developed a taste for gambling and culture. Some Socorrans have also a knack for languages. Lando Calrissian was a well-known Socorran.

A Socorran can choose one of the following skills for a +1D bonus: Gambling, Cultures, Languages.

Culture: Coruscanti The accepted homeworld of humans, it served as the hub of galactic culture, education, fine arts, technology, and finance. However, being an ecumenopolis, it was divided into the haves, and the have-nots. The haves lived in the upper layers of the city, and were known as skydwellers. Generally living a life of plenty, they could fully partake of the pleasures and opportunities that Coruscant offered. The lowdwellers lived in the lower layers of the city, and struggled for survival in eternal dimness and darkness.

A skydweller can choose one of the following skills for a +1D bonus: Bureaucracy, Value, Business Administration. A lowdweller can choose one of the following skills for a +1D bonus: Streetwise, Survival (urban). In addition, a lowdweller gains the special ability Direction Sense - when underground, they can roll a PER: Direction Sense to know where north is (usually a Moderate check).

Culture: Riosan Riosa was a center of manufacturing that was annexed by the Galactic Empire shortly after the foundation of the Empire. Workers were forced into mandatory labor and pushed to their limits to produce components for both the first and second Death Stars. Two decades into the reign of the New Republic, the world had become a faded center of manufacturing that was still struggling to rebuild itself.

A Riosan can choose one of the following skills for a +1D bonus: Any Repair skill except Lightsaber Repair. In addition, any Riosan gains the story factor Efficient for their chosen skill - repairs or manufacture using that skill takes 10% less time than normal, provided the Riosan succeeds a normal check.

A Riosan character in the era of the Galactic Empire also gains the story factor Occupied Homeworld - most Riosans are little more than indentured slaves, and are treated with suspicion by Imperial representatives while off-world. Any Bargain, Con, or Persuade check against Imperial forces are increased by +5 in difficulty if the Riosans status as a Riosan is known by the Imperial forces.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I really think we should have something like this with humans, I would argue that some of the cultures will allow for special abilities like Natural Pilot, Tech savvy , various bonuses like that, but also depending on their home world and culture penalities like to mech or tech skills or attributes even, those things.

I do see some species having "unique" features that is biological, but anything cultural I could see as something "all" could roll for that match the basis of similar cultures.

If we take the +1D to tactics that is often given to the chiss, then is this biological or is this cultural, if cultural then a human martial culture, or a duros martial culture could qualify for the same.

So a new revamp od races is more than welcomed even in a word doc.

My issue there, is what do you do to balance out the races that do not have any of those 'racial' bonuses.. IE if correlians gain +1D for any piloting, and Alderannians get +1d for say first aid, what about the other human controlled worlds. Not all should nor would get a bonus.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a post on this awhile back. All my players were playing aliens for the bonuses but wanted to look human, or something like that. It's been a few years.

I gave different planets starting bonuses from different aliens. Corellians I gave the Duros bonus, etc. It worked out in my game.

As soon as you leave the classic timeline you leave imperial alien bias behind. The social advantage to being human goes away.

You can take a look at my Star Trek thread to see how I balanced the races in that universe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: