The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

This may sound wierd, but I want to make Jar Jar a villain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> This may sound wierd, but I want to make Jar Jar a villain. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: This may sound wierd, but I want to make Jar Jar a villain. Reply with quote

My current campaign is set just after order 66. When I first pitched the idea to my group, they listed off several things they would love to be able to do. At the top of the list was to kill Jar Jar Binks. I blew it off as highly unlikely at the time but the idea is growing on me. So now I am racking my brain on a way to turn Jar Jar into a bad guy, and thus a viable target. I know it is an unlikely scenario, but any ideas would be helpful.

The group is currently working with former separatist senators in the outer rim.
I would like to introduce this plot line about a year after order 66.
Ideally they wont know the BBG of the adventure is Binks until the final confrontation.

Potentially:
-the stress of realizing that it was his actions that started Paipatine's rise to power may cause him to snap but I need a way to make his actions a danger to the party.

-he has become a willing supporter of the new order and is actively targeting former separatists to alleviate his own guilt.

Any other Ideas?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a Sith Infiltrator, hiding behind the disguise of bumbling idiot.

Now revealed as...
Darth Binks

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
He was a Sith Infiltrator, hiding behind the disguise of bumbling idiot.

Now revealed as...
Darth Binks

Rofl.

Or he could have snapped and Palpatine arranged for him to become possessed with a Sith spirit.
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have definitive prove of his evilness. In season 1 of the clone wars when another senator dies in the crash (that he contributed to) he says
that the good ones always die too soon.

Of course, no matter how stupid or dangerous the situation Jar Jar survives, through no effort of his own. That is definitely evil.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps Darth Bombad..

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems too bumbling and to much of an idiot to be a real bad guy. IMO.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

It's an act to cause him to be underestimated.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It's an act to cause him to be underestimated.

Indeed. Much like the Scarlet Pimpernel, the best disguise is in plain sight, and someone that practically refuses to be taken seriously.

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the robot chicken bit that I put in my signature.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make him a imperial "advisor" or a member of the imperial court, I am sure that the emperor would want to keep a close eye on him so to keep him out of trouble.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: This may sound wierd, but I want to make Jar Jar a villa Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
In season 1 of the clone wars when another senator dies in the crash (that he contributed to) he says
that the good ones always die too soon.

I heard about that TCW episode and it irked me. Jar Jar is already the object of such overly intense fan hatred. He didn't need further vilified by his own franchise. That's just more fuel for the fire. He was hardly used in AotC except to be manipulated into proposing that Palpatine be granted more emergency powers, something that would not have happened if Padme was around. Jar Jar being partially responsible for the Empire, and then having only a cameo in RotS should have been enough to satisfy the haters. That TCW episode was pure distasteful hater fan service because there is really no dramatic value in having Jar Jar be accidentally responsible for a Republic senator's death. Star Wars fandom has way too much hatred in it as it is. There is no good reason to encourage it. It was nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy to try to win back some lost fans. Despicable.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
My current campaign is set just after order 66. When I first pitched the idea to my group, they listed off several things they would love to be able to do. At the top of the list was to kill Jar Jar Binks. I blew it off as highly unlikely at the time but the idea is growing on me. So now I am racking my brain on a way to turn Jar Jar into a bad guy, and thus a viable target. I know it is an unlikely scenario, but any ideas would be helpful.

The group is currently working with former separatist senators in the outer rim.
I would like to introduce this plot line about a year after order 66.
Ideally they wont know the BBG of the adventure is Binks until the final confrontation.

Potentially:
-the stress of realizing that it was his actions that started Paipatine's rise to power may cause him to snap but I need a way to make his actions a danger to the party.

-he has become a willing supporter of the new order and is actively targeting former separatists to alleviate his own guilt.

Any other Ideas?

What I think would be more entertaining would be just as the PCs get their chance for what seems to be the final confrontation with Jar Jar the BBG, and they find out that there is a real evil bad guy behind him manipulating him and pulling the strings, using Jar Jar as the fall guy for his evil plans. Jar Jar ends up being a sympathetic innocent victim who helps the PCs turn the table on the real villain. If the PCs want to see Jar Jar die, let him sacrifice himself and die a hero.

And have a hidden camera film it all so I can see the player reactions to the twist of the hated prequel character not really be the villain after all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-Prequels Jar Jar Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
You can make him a imperial "advisor" or a member of the imperial court, I am sure that the emperor would want to keep a close eye on him so to keep him out of trouble.

In my SWU, Naboo is largely unchanged with the rise of the Empire, at least on the surface. Being Palpatine's homeworld with his noble family manor and everything, the surface of the planet remains an idyllic natural beauty, but the system is well-protected in space for security. The planet is a high-class vacation world for rich and elite of the Empire, but underneath the oceans the Gungans aren't much more than slaves mining plasma as punishment for an early failed rebellion against Imperial occupation.

Jar Jar has however escaped enslavement for his role in Palpatine's rise to power. The former Naboo royal palace is now an Imperial palace and base of operations for the sector's moff. Jar Jar is officially a majordomo of sorts with a certain level of respect, but in reality he is the court jester who seems to unknowingly make a buffoon of himself for the entertainment of Moff and his guests (who delight in veiled ridicule and making jokes at his expense right in front of his face). Jar Jar weathers this abuse with dignity. Jar Jar may still be a clumsy goof who talks funny and looks silly in fancy clothes, but he is wiser for his experiences and well aware of what the Imperials really think of him. He intentionally hams it up and plays dumb to keep up his appearances. The Gungans by and large view Jar Jar as a hated traitor for his service to the Empire.

In the time of the Empire, I see Jar Jar as a somewhat tragic figure with the tears of a clown. He gives the Empire and Palpatine lip service, but is secretly desperate to find a way to use his position to help his people and make up for role in bringing Palpatine into power. Jar Jar has become an advisor to the Moff on handling Gungan affairs and eventually an Imperial-Gungan liaison. Jar Jar has learned a bit from Palpatine over the years and is occasionally successful at subtly influencing the Moff to back off on the more draconian measures against the Gungans.

In the years of the classic trilogy, I see an underground rebel movement gaining traction on Naboo, involving both the native Naboo humans and Gungans. Jar Jar takes advantage of the trust he has gained from the Imperial leadership of the planet and becomes a key figure in the Rebel movement. Sure, Ackbar betrayed Tarkin and joined the Rebel Alliance, but this is Jar Jar who is viewed as nothing more than an bumbling idiot, and thus underestimated.

Around the time of the Battle of Endor, Jar Jar shows unexpected skill and valor in a revolt that successfully overthrows Imperial control of the planet. "Weesa free!"
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: This may sound wierd, but I want to make Jar Jar a villa Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

What I think would be more entertaining would be just as the PCs get their chance for what seems to be the final confrontation with Jar Jar the BBG, and they find out that there is a real evil bad guy behind him manipulating him and pulling the strings, using Jar Jar as the fall guy for his evil plans. Jar Jar ends up being a sympathetic innocent victim who helps the PCs turn the table on the real villain. If the PCs want to see Jar Jar die, let him sacrifice himself and die a hero.

And have a hidden camera film it all so I can see the player reactions to the twist of the hated prequel character not really be the villain after all.

And worse yet. What if they DO kill him to only find he WAS being used as a patsy and they played right into the BBEG's hands.. the guilt alone should net a DSP.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I am not a PT hater, though I list Jar Jar as the most annoying character in all 6 films. I'm cool with the Gungans, and my favorite TCW episode was the death of General Tarpos. Dude died taking down General Greavous and got cool last words doing it. That said, my players live for emotional payoff. If Jar Jar needs to die for that to happen so be it. I just want the best story I can come up with too make it happen.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: This may sound wierd, but I want to make Jar Jar a villa Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

And worse yet. What if they DO kill him to only find he WAS being used as a patsy and they played right into the BBEG's hands.. the guilt alone should net a DSP.

The tragedy of Jar Jar Binks. Yeah, that would be cool!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: