The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updating the Stat Template for Starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Updating the Stat Template for Starships Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Updating the Stat Template for Starships Reply with quote

This is a general category for discussing ways in which the existing stat template for starships could be changed. This could potentially cover a lot of ground, so I'm keeping the description as possible.

The idea that I want to start with is Consumables. IMO, knowing a ship's Consumables number isn't always the most helpful, as whether or not a ship is in need of consumables is often more of a story aspect than a matter of bookkeeping. What I'm considering instead is exchanging Consumables for an Endurance rating. Rather than giving an Endurance rating in days, weeks or months, the ship would have a D rating, such as Endurance 5D for an X-Wing or Endurance 2D for a TIE Fighter. This would be rolled against a Difficulty number starting at 1 (as in a fully fueled replenished ship isn't going to have issues with running out of consumables), then slowly increasing as the ship performs more and more actions. Once the ship fails its Endurance roll, it has only enough fuel to get to the nearest replenishment station (which makes a great story hook), and on a Wild Dice failure on the Endurance roll, some unexpected expenditure causes the ship to run out of fuel before it reaches its destination (yet another story hook).

Thoughts? Other ideas for changes?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The increase in Difficulty could use the Fuel Cell Rules from 1E Tramp Freighters, so start with a Difficulty of 1, then increase it using the following list:
    Entering Hyperspace = +1
    Per 6 hours in Hyperspace = +1
    Per Month of Realspace Op = +1
    Per hour of Combat Op = +1
    Per hour of atmospheric flight = +1

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't combat ops stress the fuel and such more so than regular flying in atmosphere and such?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Shouldn't combat ops stress the fuel and such more so than regular flying in atmosphere and such?

Probably. The list is just a port-over of the fuel cell consumption rates from 1E Tramp Freighters; I just converted it to Difficulty Modifiers without editorializing on it.

EDIT: I would probably do something more along the lines of:
    Entering Hyperspace = +1
    Per Day of Realspace Ops = +1
    Per Hour of Atmospheric Ops = +1
    Per Minute of Combat Op = +1 (in addition to Realspace / Atmospheric Ops modifier)

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this could work for a more advanced maintenance schedule also.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That it could though i still would rather have a flat # rather than a D system for determining if you run out of 'consumables' or not. Whether thats fuel, air or food/water..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Savar mentioned, it wouldn't necessarily just have to be about fuel. An Endurance failure could also be a maintenance issue that requires a spaceport's facilities.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
As Savar mentioned, it wouldn't necessarily just have to be about fuel. An Endurance failure could also be a maintenance issue that requires a spaceport's facilities.

Having someone on the ship (non fighter) that is able to work on maintenance items help with the roll.

How about how close it is to the last overhaul?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Probably. The list is just a port-over of the fuel cell consumption rates from 1E Tramp Freighters; I just converted it to Difficulty Modifiers without editorializing on it.

EDIT: I would probably do something more along the lines of:
    Entering Hyperspace = +1
    Per Day of Realspace Ops = +1
    Per Hour of Atmospheric Ops = +1
    Per Minute of Combat Op = +1 (in addition to Realspace / Atmospheric Ops modifier)

Would asteroid belts count as combat?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Having someone on the ship (non fighter) that is able to work on maintenance items help with the roll.

How about how close it is to the last overhaul?

I'm thinking something like requiring a re-roll on failures to generate the result. Basically, roll the Endurance rating and if you get a failure, re-roll and compare the result to the following table:
    One Failure = Minor fault that requires repair. Can use the damage charts or the mishap charts from Tramp Freighters to generate.
    Two Consecutive Failures = Ship is running low on fuel, and must replenish at next stop.
    Three Consecutive Failures = Ship suffers a major malfunction and is dead in space until it can be repaired.

The number of consecutive Failure results is indicated by rolling a success after a failure (or sequence of failures). One Failure would be caused by failing one Endurance check, but succeeding on the next one. Two Failures would be cause by rolling two failed Endurance checks in a row, followed by a Success, and so on.

As for overhauls, I could see that having a more long-term effect of lowering the ship's Endurance rating the longer the ship goes without one.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Would asteroid belts count as combat?

No, that's just realspace operation. The difficulty levels and potential for damage may be higher, but when simply flying through an asteroid field, the pilot can reduce speed and operate cautiously. In combat, you have shields at maximum, weapons firing, sudden maneuvers and acceleration and deceleration at maximum rates, all drawing a lot more power.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another change I'd like to add is a crew quality modifier to the crew skills stat. It'd look something like this:
    Inexperienced: 0D
    Experienced: +1D
    Veteran: +2D
    Elite: +3D
Basically, the modifier would provide a guideline for GMs to increase the effectiveness of ships that the character's might face to provide them with a more formidable challenge on a ship-by-ship basis.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating the Stat Template for Starships Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
This is a general category for discussing ways in which the existing stat template for starships could be changed. This could potentially cover a lot of ground, so I'm keeping the description as possible.

The idea that I want to start with is Consumables.

*SNIP*

Thoughts? Other ideas for changes?

Now, when you're saying changing the existing Stat Template, do you mean for your personal game? Do you mean changing the the way that we distribute stats on the Rancor Pit Forums and for future stat books? Or are you just speaking broadly of general mechanical changes that would be nice?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm looking at are ways in which the existing starship stat block (under WEG 2E) could be amended to remove or alter portions of the existing stats in ways that are more useful to players and GMs. One obvious example is crew size; smaller ships requiring one or two crew work fine under the existing system, but the numbers become less and less useful as crew size increases. And while the increased difficulty of operating a ship with a skeleton crew is somewhat useful, there is no method in the RAW for how a ship's crew can be reduced to skeleton levels.

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
What I'm looking at are ways in which the existing starship stat block (under WEG 2E) could be amended to remove or alter portions of the existing stats in ways that are more useful to players and GMs. One obvious example is crew size; smaller ships requiring one or two crew work fine under the existing system, but the numbers become less and less useful as crew size increases. And while the increased difficulty of operating a ship with a skeleton crew is somewhat useful, there is no method in the RAW for how a ship's crew can be reduced to skeleton levels.

Nor any description or explanation of what all those members of the skeleton crew are actually doing that is absolutely vital to the basic operation of the ship. Do we have any Navy vets in the Pit that could take a crack at that type of flavor text?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: